Photography Thread

Anything goes here...
robbo
100th member
100th member

Photography Thread

Postby robbo » 13 Nov 2015, 16:38

matt wrote:shame i'm on my work machine otherwise that would have been a "sexy bread" google...

A search on my phone returns some baps which could be cold (bread ones with added nipples), some hot dogs in buns, some bread rolls in packaging to look like a bra and a woman's nice bum in the kitchen. There we go, we got there! :D
Fodder
Master of the Salmon Slap

Photography Thread

Postby Fodder » 13 Nov 2015, 18:43

Bread is also Bahamas slang for lady bits. I could do a lilly shot, but I think they may ban me once they realise what it is.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
robbo
100th member
100th member

Photography Thread

Postby robbo » 13 Nov 2015, 23:46

Fodder wrote:Source of the post Bread is also Bahamas slang for lady bits. I could do a lilly shot, but I think they may ban me once they realise what it is.

Well, you've got good macro skills... Just go b&w - artistic nudes are arty and fine!
Fodder

Photography Thread

Postby Fodder » 25 Nov 2015, 16:32

And another explore for a macro monday theme:-

ImageScrew Queue by Jason Harmer, on Flickr
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 30 Nov 2015, 10:32

jurassicjim,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N ... ROKL5A1OLE

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 40-150mm 1:2.8 PRO Lens with MC-1.4 1.4x Tele Converter

Lightning deal £975 for the next 3 hours!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim

Photography Thread

Postby jurassicjim » 01 Dec 2015, 21:43

Hey Ras, thanks for the heads up and the private message,

It's a damn good deal!! Very nearly pulled the trigger, but makes sense for me to wait for my work perks allowance to reset in March and basically get it for free (if another deal like this comes along that is!).

How's the zoom lens treating you Ras? Please post some Japan shots!!

j
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 02 Dec 2015, 11:25

I didn't actually get much chance to use it! its more for next year than this! So i only took a limited number of shots!

As for my japan shots, there's 4000 of them! And none as good as fods macro shots! So don't think i'll embarrass myself by posting them!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 02 Dec 2015, 17:49

Oh, and that lens is £682 from hong kong.. So you could easily afford a ticket there and a few nights accomodation to collect it! Or £950 with teleconverter from onestop digital. (they have a website and ship to the uk. but i bought mine in their shop in Tsim Sha Tsui)
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Mar 2016, 22:30

It's interesting to see the rise of the 1in sensor in the camera market at the moment, it's one that Nikon initially tried with their 1 series interchangeable lens cameras but largely failed as they couldn't seem to work the balance of the 1in sensor - the 1in sensor is smaller than the micro 4/3 sensor Panasonic and Olympus use but Nikon were unable to shrink the body and lenses to give an advantage for that smaller sensor size. Samsung tried their hand at a mirrorless 1in system as well with the NX Mini as well later on but also failed to produce a size advantage from the smaller sensor.

Sony however showed the potential for the 1in sensor size with their original RX100, a small compact camera that had a much larger sensor than the 1/1.7in sensors (like the Panasonic LX series) yet still managed a fast lens and a reasonable zoom range. Frequently the catch with shrinking down bodies with large sensors is that to make the lens small they either have to make a limited zoom range and dim aperture or a fixed prime lens with a brighter aperture. Sony have gently evolved the RX100 through to the mark 4 and have since brought back proper bridge cameras (most current bridge cameras have tiny sensors to allow them their huge zoom ranges) with the RX10 mk1 and mk2 using the RX100 internals but a larger body and zoom.

Panasonic really started the enthusiast market with the LX3 which had a larger sensor and brighter lens yet they've been oddly slow to join in with the 1in sensors however they have the FZ1000 bridge camera to rival the RX10 and recently announced a compact which looks very impressive as it boasts a staggering 25-250mm zoom range. It does make some compromises as it's aperture is F2.8-F5.9 but even then that's pretty good going for a compact with an EVF and some nice features like 4K video.

Canon were fairly quick to offer their own RX100 rival with the G7X and now recently announced the G7X mk2.

Nikon have recently jumped back into the 1in sensor with all guns blazing offering not just a compact and bridge camera with a 1in sensor but an interesting ultra wide compact that has an 18-50mm lens:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/203248 ... l-compacts

The two compacts are both fixed lens cameras so the 18-50mm choice is very unusual, comparatively the current RX100 is a 24-70mm so it's a fairly short range already only going to 70mm so 50mm is very short but it's probably not that much work for them to produce the second variant and there's nothing else out there like it in that size range.

For compacts, I think the 1in sensor is superb as it finally offers the balance of size and image quality I've been after for a long time as normal compacts were too big a drop from the bigger cameras and micro 4/3 cameras weren't quite small enough and meant either a slow zoom or a fast prime.

For bridge cameras though I'm not so sure, I bought the RX10 mk 2 when Amazon had 30% off warehouse items and got one that looks brand new and unused. Primarily I wanted it for the super slow motion which it shares with the RX100 mk4 and I love it on that, the RX10mk2 has the advantage of a 200mm range still at a relatively fast F2.8. I've been undecided about the camera though since I bought it and haven't actually used it until today, the problem is that while it has the 1in sensor instead of being very compact it's actually quite a big device, bigger than the Sony NEX-6 and 18-200mm despite the latter having a much bigger APS-C sensor. However the flip side is that the RX10m2 is a really well designed camera, when you pick it up everything just feels right about it and it has a nice range of controls including a zoom lever around the shutter button as well as a ring on the lens, an aperture ring (with a switch to have it click through F-stops or rotate smoothly), a little LCD on the top and the zoom action is really smooth in video mode. Comparatively the NEX-6/18-200mm has terrible handling as the body is too small and the lens too large plus the zoom ring is a standard mechanical one which means no smooth zooming in video mode. There is a power zoom version of 18-200mm lens but it's even bigger which has put me off that idea.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 10 Mar 2016, 23:31

So i tried a different style in this video of my 3 legged thing Vyv tripod. The other one is 28 mins long... But also the 3rd most watched on the subject.

I'll be sorting out a review for my 70-200mm lens next week i think.
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
matt
Cake
Cake

Photography Thread

Postby matt » 26 Jun 2016, 11:24

hello all,
I took a stab at taking wedding photo's on friday for the family and now I've sobered up am feeling a little out of my depth. I've not had a chance to review them yet but am assuming I must have lucked out enough for a wedding album to be made up and get printed as a nice surprise. (they'll also be going up on the facebook for all the family to see).

Any ideas which sites to go for this and or any sites with tips to editing?

from a quick look this morning I think I want a "photobook" and going to digest this once I get some chores done:
http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news ... 76/13/1/15
jurassicjim

Photography Thread

Postby jurassicjim » 26 Jun 2016, 13:33

With editing, use RAW files and Lightroom, look at tutorials on YouTube for simple adjustments and it will make a huge difference!

No ideas on the photobook I'm afraid, I've used Photobox for prints and they came out good.

Any chance of seeing some of the results?!

j
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 26 Jun 2016, 14:30

I like photobox for printing the books. Got a canvas too and was happy with it.

Echo raw files and light room. But as I too need to start learning that, I'm not much use in advising!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
matt
Cake
Cake

Photography Thread

Postby matt » 05 Jul 2016, 21:56

the photo's look crap when I load up to photobox. Opening them in photoshop gives a resolution of 3456*5184 but only a DPI of 72. Talking with the lady we have probably left the camera in low quality mode.

on the imac the photo's don't look that bad, but once they get uploaded to photobox and copied into a photobook layout they look awful.

am I missing something obvious here?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Jul 2016, 13:04

Which lady were you talking to? It's definitely not the case the camera has been left in a low quality mode - I've got your photo downloaded today and it's 18MP and 6MB, that's the full resolution of the sensor and the file size looks about right If you'd had the camera on a reduced setting, the resolution would be lower and so would the file size as the camera reduces quality by reducing the resolution and increasing the compression. The image is a little soft as it looks like the focus may have been a little off but the resolution is easily sufficient for printing at a reasonable size, it definitely shouldn't be looking pixelated so if it is I'm still blaming Photobox.

The 72DPI in the file metadata is a red herring, it's meaningless as the DPI will vary depending on how big you print it - if you printed that file at 4x6, the DPI would be enormous while if you print the same file as a 6 foot poster then the DPI is going to be much smaller.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”