techpond fitness thread!

Anything goes here...
Fodder
Master of the Salmon Slap

techpond fitness thread!

Postby Fodder » 01 Oct 2015, 21:22

Osteopath. Should have you feeling better after the first treatment and pretty much fixed on the second if it's what I think it is.

Just had a search in Inverness and you could be treated by Scott Tracey :geek:
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
robbo
100th member
100th member

techpond fitness thread!

Postby robbo » 01 Oct 2015, 22:37

Lol! Go for him, John. What could go wrong?!

Went gym again.* Chest, back and shoulders. Washing the car afterwards was quite an effort.

*Btw, missing out 'to' and 'the' for maximum gym-talk-ness.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

techpond fitness thread!

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 Oct 2015, 23:50

Fodder wrote:Source of the post Osteopath. Should have you feeling better after the first treatment and pretty much fixed on the second if it's what I think it is.

Just had a search in Inverness and you could be treated by Scott Tracey :geek:

Thanks for the reply, what do you think it is?
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
Fodder

techpond fitness thread!

Postby Fodder » 02 Oct 2015, 20:15

The most common causes of repetitive neck pain I have found to be facet joint (neck or upper thoracic) or upper rib problems. I am assuming looking over a shoulder aggravates it and/or tilting your head back. When bad you can get aching and burning down the upper trapezius or levator scapulae muscles as well, especially when static such as when you are in bed or sitting. Cycling will aggravate it as the muscles will be engaged almost permanently and your neck is in extension, so the facet joints will be in a 'compressed' position and very prone to irritation.

Sound familiar?
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

techpond fitness thread!

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Oct 2015, 20:37

Some of it, certainly rotating my neck and pushing my head back feels like it's pulling on whatever is causing the pain (which is on one side only) but it's most comfortable when I'm static, particularly in my firm car seat or in bed. The cycling doesn't seem to aggravate it particularly, I was out on the mountain bike on Thursday night and had no problems the days after and hadn't been cycling any of the days before it reappeared. Even on the stiff road bike it's uncomfortable when riding as I'm bent over and the bike doesn't take any of the shocks but it doesn't seem to have made the pain worse although I've been keeping off the bikes anyway just in case. It's mainly a backpack which seems to make it worse although it doesn't seem to start it, I'm just puzzled because I'd done nothing physical pretty much before it came back this week. Also the pain is limited to one area only, there's no pain in any of the other muscles around it.
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
Fodder

techpond fitness thread!

Postby Fodder » 02 Oct 2015, 20:51

Rucksack straps sit on the levator scap muscle and that is also the muscle that stabilises the scapula when loaded (ie when a rucksack is on). Makes sense.

Your a tensegrity or multijointed structure (whichever one makes more sense to you), one bit fails and the others compensate. Eventually enough bits fail that some part starts complaining. Increased fitness/strength/flexibility allow greater compensation in general, so when you 'have a break' from usual activity these things can surface as your fitness/strength/flexibility drop.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

techpond fitness thread!

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Oct 2015, 21:12

I'm definitely feeling side issues in my legs from stopping my usual activities but the neck pain came completely out of the blue, it was after that I cut back my activities to let the damage heal.

The problem seems to occur when I'm sleeping, I went to bed on Monday with neck pain for a couple of weeks and then woke up with pain in the morning. I think years ago when this first happened you recommended sleeping with a pillow between the legs to keep the position flatter when sleeping which I've been trying this time but I'm finding sleeping straight on my back is most comfortable. I haven't changed anything in my bed setup but do you have any recommendations or what I should avoid? I don't remember slumping much on the Monday but I'm bad for doing it when I'm reading books and it seems a much more logical explanation as I always slump on the left which is where the pain is.

Is it worse to move my neck gently against where it's stiff or try and keep it still as much as possible? I tried gently pushing against where it was stiff on Tuesday and it seemed a bit worse on Wednesday, since then I've been keeping it still and it seems to have improved.

The pain is mostly gone now and there's just a resulting stiffness I think from a lack of activity so I'm thinking of trying a short MTB cycle at the weekend and see if that's ok, the mountain bike ride is soft and the cycling position is mostly upright. If that doesn't cause any problems then I can get on with doing more miles and get back to normal.

Thanks for all the advice, it's much appreciated.
Fodder

techpond fitness thread!

Postby Fodder » 02 Oct 2015, 22:08

I would try the mtb, movement and activity is generally better as long as it's not aggravating. It is difficult to say without examining, but I can send you a pdf of stretches with video links in if you like. PM me your email if you want them.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

techpond fitness thread!

Postby Johnmcl7 » 26 Oct 2015, 00:55

I took your advice and just went out on the MTB repurposing the FS 29er as my town bike, no neck pain and felt better in general getting some movement into my muscles. I started gradually doing road bike miles and been fine with that as well, I've done just over a couple of hundred miles in the last two weeks so I'm feeling not too bad with general fitness. Which is good because my eight man team for the 24 hour cycle next week is down to just three confirmed although I'm hoping some people who said they'd be reserves will come along otherwise it looks like I'll be doing a few more laps than planned.

John
Fodder

techpond fitness thread!

Postby Fodder » 26 Oct 2015, 12:36

Excellent! Glad to hear it's easing up with a bit of movement. Long term would be good to get any restrictions in the lower neck and upper back sorted though.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”