techpond fitness thread!

Anything goes here...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

techpond fitness thread!

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Jul 2009, 14:35

Gents! Its time we got fit! No more of this sitting around playing games! We need instruction, guidance, motivation, support, and targets!

And it is going to help me by airing my dirty laundry! So i will be weighing myself every 2 weeks and listing it on here to track my progress.

I aim to run every other day, and do weights in between, with probably sunday off. I will list a link of any usefull pages you find here:

http://www.teachpe.com/strengthening/free_weights.php
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Re: techpond fitness thread!

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Jul 2009, 14:41

Well, Ras started the year at 17st 12. at the beginning of this month i was about 16st 11. Lost a bit due to illness and 16st 6 at the mo, but that will increase! I've done 3km in 18 mins, and 5.6km in 39 mins. so varying longer distance jogs, with shorter distance runs.

Weights wise i am doing the following in reps of 15, 15, 15.

Bicep Curl
Hammer Curl
French Press
Chest Press
Dumbbell Pullover
Lateral Raise
Shoulder Press

I try to fit in a handful of sit ups and a dozen press ups too.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
Advocate
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Advocate » 14 Jul 2009, 15:05

run for 10 mins, gentle pace just get the heart rate up and a little sweat

find somewhere you can do chin ups - try and do at least 10 every day also to get that stomach shredded hang from the chinup place with your hands and lift your toes to the ceiling - again try to do 10 a day.

do 30 x wide arm press ups
30 x close pressups (go for speed with this set)
30 x triangle under chest press ups

lie on back lift legs 3 inches off floor and hold for 20 seconds, start to do really small circles left (x10) hold still for another 20 seconds then 10 circles to the right hold for 20 seconds then hands underneath bum and lift your legs alternately 25 times for each leg. - perform these slow slow slow!

25x dorsal raises - this is a rest period to get breath back
50xstomach crunch
50xfull sit up
25x dorsal raises
25x inverted sit ups
25xdorsal raises

do 50 star jumps (jumping jacks if you are yank)
do 25 casuast (push up, squat thrust & tuck jump, then back down & repeat)

then do your weights on top of that

do a day on day off and any sport you can get as well = 1 buff ras.

dont forget to change your routine every other week to prevent it getting stale and losing interest, not to mention working on other muscle groups.

The above is what I do most days with the addition of lots and lots of squats and leg curls to get the kicking power up. All the above is performed as quickly as possible (except where noted) to build explosive power, not bulk. A workout for me will normally last just over 40 mins.

dont forget to stretch after warming up and once done working out - research has shown stretching before exercise is a Bad Thing (tm) and not stretching properly after exercise will hinder muscle growth and flexibility.

obviously the above is my work out so may not be suited to anyone else but it keeps me able to fight :)
Advocate

Postby Advocate » 14 Jul 2009, 15:08

BTW - I had a leg injury towards the end of last year so stopped with TKD & most other training for a while - got up to 15stone

started training again about 2 months ago and I'm now just a hair under 15stone.

when I was in china I got food poisoning and dropped to 11 stone... so if you are after weight loss ignore my exercise plan and just get really, really ill and eat nothing but noodle soup for 2 months...
mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 14 Jul 2009, 15:44

I've been doing the get into shape thing since april ive gone from 15.4 to 14.4 stone :D

still kept my diet the same.... but with less snacks... so only one penguin bar with my cup o tea... and friday night kebab...

this is running every other day near enough 1.5 k's but with the twist of it being up and down a steep hill :D
Yeah!
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 14 Jul 2009, 15:58

I did manage to lose a stone and a half between Feb and April just by changing my diet. Then I started to miss pizza too much and put half back on last month got back down now but still too fat.

Want to get down to 14 (from my current 16 and a bit) really, but just too lazy I have no drive to do much, and even less money and time.

I need to at least get my arms built back up to carry my fat arse around. When I worked at Liverpool airport I could easily carry 4 large (10ishKg) the length of the ramp, around 1.5miles, and regularly carried 6 with a little more effort but still not struggling. I was still a fat biffer but had some pretty impressive guns, and a killer natural tan, I miss working at that airport.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 14 Jul 2009, 16:09

I have benn going to do a fitness thread here and ask for advice, but never got round to it.

I'm currently just under 16 stone, and 6foot 5. I have been doing excersise for about a year now, when I left uni 3 years ago I was over 19 stone. So doing ok. I'm 24 by the way if that makes a difference.

I was going to the gym only and doing 8 minutes on the rower, 4 minutes running and 18 on the bike.

But now I try to go running every other day and do a lap that is 2.33 miles and do it in under 24 minutes. Is this a good pace by the way, I have no idea really. I also try to go to the gym and do weights a bit and the rower only for a different work out than running. Does aanybody know if this pace is good for a rower, I try to do 15 minutes and keep it to under 2minutes 10 per 500m. Is that ok? Feels pretty tough, so hope thats not a girly effort!

I really don't know anything about te right ay to train, so probably cant give out much advice. But some people here seem to know what they are doing so good to get advice.

I'm not interested in getting massive, just concentrating on weight loss right now. I'm pretty big build anyway, and quite tall so dont really feel I need to muscle gain at the moment. But when I'm fitter, I will probably work for that.

I have started using my G1 to track my runs, quite a useful thing and good for making sure you stick to a pace.

Can check it out here. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... fKVo-WeOuw

Good luck everybody!! Maybe we should do some before and after shots...

j
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Jul 2009, 16:09

Well, running is free, and my free weights are reebok and cost £15 a few years back. So in theory shouldnt cost much to get fit! The reality is i'm using a running machine onsite here in the flat tho, as its included in rent!

Try signing up for a parkrun. They're free to do, and the one i'm aiming for (bramhall) has nearly 300 people everyweek!
LUHG
Born 28/11/2018
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 14 Jul 2009, 16:14

Oh yeah, quick question. What is the best exercise in generally for weight loss, getting rid of tits and love handles?

j
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 14 Jul 2009, 16:25

Yeah now you mention it money is a pretty crap excuse. Lazyness is a huge factor though.

I want to get some dumbbells with a decent range I guess one heavy thing is much the same as an other.
Advocate

Postby Advocate » 14 Jul 2009, 16:34

jurassicjim wrote:Oh yeah, quick question. What is the best exercise in generally for weight loss, getting rid of tits and love handles?

I'd say swimming. anything where you can get a high intensity workout (makes you swet your nadgers off) but lasts for a long time to get you into the fat burn stage - swimming wise I'd say aim to do 50-100 laps in under an hour and a half twice a week with your normal routine another 2 times a week and sit your arse in a sauna for half an hour on your days off - just keep hydrated otherwise you will pass out...

For running you should aim to do a mile and a half in under 12 mins (officers in the Army have to do it in under 9 from memory, basic grunts under 14 but 10 mins is a good pace imho) so your run time seems ok, longer than my preference but it really is ok especially if you are just getting into fitness. As far as rowing goes I hate it with a passion and only ever do urgs when I'm made to so have no idea what a good time is - technique is everything though, so many people have a poor technique on the rowers and rely too much on their arms and back.

If weight loss is the goal I'd say skip the weights and stick to cardio - that said everyone should be able to lift their own weight imho so if you fatties cant - get practising ;)

I'm 24, 6ft and just under 15st - a good weight for someone your height is around 15/16st - especially if you train regularly.

The best exercise in the world is the one you enjoy - I hate running so rarely do more than 10 mins but I love cycling and often do several hours out on the roads - I hate football and I am rubbish at rugby but I love Taekwondo. Find something you love and keep on doing it - even ultimate frisbee is a good start (it is fookin nackering... too much running for my bones)

I also hate paying for stuff so I tend to do most of my exercises with my body weight, push ups, situps, chin ups etc...
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 14 Jul 2009, 16:54

jurassicjim wrote:Oh yeah, quick question. What is the best exercise in generally for weight loss, getting rid of tits and love handles?

j

Go on a cross-trainer, you know the ski-like thing. Easy on the knee joints and do it with your arms moving on the bars also. I find the cross-country preset a good one or maybe try fat burner one (think there's one). Should be dripping when you come off. After a while you should get your stamina (aerobic base) up and then do the same but at a higher level or change the preset to something else. Start 15 - 20mins and then if you've got the brain numbness, do it for 30mins.

Or if you can, do soe circuit training like advocates, but maybe a little less strenuous to start with! Good alround fitness they can be and if done in a group it can more fun as you've people pushing you along and you can rotate round the exercises. Or even swimming. Great all rounder.

I used to do 15 run, 15 bike, 15 row. Straight from one to the other. I like the rower but bloomin' 'eck does it numb my bum! Need to get back into the aerobic stuff. Might try to start doing it again but do cross trainer instead of treadmill.

Another good I used to do were intervals on the treadmill. Slight incline, fast speed and then 30 secs on, 30 secs off. Or 1 minute on, 30 secs off depending on what I was doing. Super way of getting fit. As long as you can jump on and off of the treadmill whilst it's still going without falling off! Did hear that intervals are good for weight loss also as the body gets used to burning up fuel whilst resting as well as when active.

But as advocate say, change your routine every few weeks or month so you don't get bored, learn more stuff and work on more muscle groups.

Gotta love those triangle presses! :lol:

I remember a fitness session I had with my trainer a few years back and a friend. We were alternating between the smith machine (bench press machine) and press ups. At the end I couldn't even do one press up! Everything felt like lead. But man did it feel good afterwards! :D

Oh and yeah warm up, cool downs are massive. warm up (slow jog, slow on the bike) and some stretching after your work out. If you're doing dynamic stuff then some active stretching before is good but no static stretching. Leave that till the end. Used to spend a good 40mins stretching at the end of my workouts. Mainly on the legs and back.

Edit - Advocate has posted as I was writing this but here are my two pennies!

And I'm 24, 5'9" and 11 stone. The small guy round here it seems!
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Jul 2009, 16:55

Haha! I cant do more than 10 press ups!! And sit ups are proving hard! I'm trying to lose weight (30 mins on running machine 3 times a week) AND put on muscle. Did 1hr 15 of various muscle things with the free weights today. So thats made me feel better. tho cant run as i'm ill.

NOT doing a naked pic of me before, but he's a shot at me at my heaviest that has made me want to lose the weight.

no bloody neck!

Oh, and i'm 6' 2" BEAST of a man at current 16st 7. Tho 18 in that shot!
LUHG
Born 28/11/2018
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 14 Jul 2009, 17:00

We'll get you looking buff soon Ras!

If Homer can do it, you can do it too!

"Gym? What's a gym? Oh, a gym!"

Haha love that bit.

EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Jul 2009, 17:02

HA! something like this would be good!

Spoiler:
LUHG
Born 28/11/2018

Return to “The Salmon Pond”