What Film have you just watched?

Anything goes here...
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 04 Apr 2016, 12:07

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post Also watched Jurassic World, it was all right, descended into nonsense towards the end, seems to just turn into a "Sharknado Vs Megadino" style stupid monster movie.

Pacific Rim sprung to mind for me... or Power Rangers...
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 04 Apr 2016, 12:24

Pacific Rim, or the old Japanese Kaiju movies something like Godzilla v Spacegodzilla. Just stupid, I also dont think the special effects will age as well as the original Jurassic Park, the bird at the very beginning of the film already looked old.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Apr 2016, 14:42

Tappy wrote:Source of the post
matt wrote:Source of the post I get what you are saying tappy... Still not sure I will enjoy it as I think in my head I'll just assume all superman films are crap and that I like the idea of affleck directing affleck as batman as a standalone series / trilogy.

I don't blame you at all. I was very much in two minds about even bothering with seeing it at the cinema.

Speaking of Jurassic World, I watched this on Sky on the weekend. It was alright, but I'm glad I didn't go to the cinema to see it with you lot. Mostly because you all smell funky... ;)

I didn't go see it at the cinema either for the same reasons although I've been waiting for it coming out on Sky mostly out of curiousity.

Can't remember if I said it here. Seems not, I got a taste for some Star Trek a few weeks back after catching The Motion Picture on tv (yeah, I know, it's the bad one!) So I thought I would watch Into Darkness again and I gave up after about 30 minutes and watched Insurrection instead a really enjoyed it. How bizarre!

Have you seen this:

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2 ... e-concert/

I haven't watched Insurrection in a while, I tend to be more lenient on it and Nemesis as I'm that desperate to see the TNG crew and the Enterprise-E back in action.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 04 Apr 2016, 19:00

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post Pacific Rim, or the old Japanese Kaiju movies something like Godzilla v Spacegodzilla. Just stupid, I also dont think the special effects will age as well as the original Jurassic Park, the bird at the very beginning of the film already looked old.

pacific rim was meant to be a cheese fest right? Just a big wedge of £££ on setting up CGI jokes and a father and his son using a bulldog to symbolise their love/acceptance for each other whilst Idris does his best yanky saving the world he could given the rather obvious plot line.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Apr 2016, 19:20

matt wrote:Source of the post
scarbunny wrote:Source of the post Pacific Rim, or the old Japanese Kaiju movies something like Godzilla v Spacegodzilla. Just stupid, I also dont think the special effects will age as well as the original Jurassic Park, the bird at the very beginning of the film already looked old.

pacific rim was meant to be a cheese fest right? Just a big wedge of £££ on setting up CGI jokes and a father and his son using a bulldog to symbolise their love/acceptance for each other whilst Idris does his best yanky saving the world he could given the rather obvious plot line.

Pacific Rim was supposed to be a bit silly and over the top with a tip of the hat to the classic Japanese monster films but I wasn't impressed with it, the film was neither silly or serious enough and was in that middle ground where it just doesn't really work.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Apr 2016, 19:57

I think I've posted this before but I think it's accurate in that it points out how bad use of good cgi in new films like Jurassic World is poor compared to older films like Jurassic Park:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-e ... l-effects/
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 04 Apr 2016, 20:41

It's basically a foam condom stuck over a Truckasaurus skeleton trying to emote

LoL! thats actually a very good read!

I like this vid with adam from whatculture, who has similar language to that thing!

And also this one that shows you that CGI done well is invisible. (think game of thrones)
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 05 Apr 2016, 10:10

Johnmcl7 wrote:Have you seen this:

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2 ... e-concert/

I haven't watched Insurrection in a while, I tend to be more lenient on it and Nemesis as I'm that desperate to see the TNG crew and the Enterprise-E back in action.

John

Oooo, if they're coming to Paris, perhaps they'll add some dates in the UK.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 05 Apr 2016, 22:56

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I really enjoyed it.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 05 Apr 2016, 23:18

Anchorman - i'd never seen it before. Some good jokes in there!

Spectre - sort of nothing happens!

Star wars - as good the 2nd time round as the 1st! loved it!

Only 5 posts left on this thread I think!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Apr 2016, 00:44

I like that second video post Ras, makes a very good and simple point that very good CGI simply isn't noticed. I was surprised how much CGI had been used in Wolf of Wall Street and agree about Game of Thrones, their mix of practical and CGI effects works extremely well.

When reading this discussion I was thinking about Halo 2 Anniversary Edition (part of the Master Chief Collection) where they remastered all the ingame cutscenes with full CGI instead of the original in game engine cutscenes. They were produced by Blur Studios who seem to be a fairly small studio looking at the work they've done but I was amazed at the quality of the Halo cutscenes, it's perhaps partially because they're fully CGI so it looks less fake than if it was alongside real people but still I think it looks fantastic particularly the aliens who look quite convincing:

matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 12 Apr 2016, 13:40

man from uncle. Good sound track, nice wardrobes, innuendos almost mask the farcicle story line and constant replays to make it obvious what you were meant to see.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 14 Apr 2016, 14:11

Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2: It was all right I guess, it looks pretty, stuff happens, what little action there is is good. A film needlessly split in two to double cinema takings if ever I saw one. Taking parts 1 and 2 as a whole it lacks action, character development or a coherent plot and fails to really resolve what could have been an interesting story. Considering Girl on Fire was surprisingly good Mockingjay is a massive disappointment. As with a lot of stuff like this I end up more interesting in the possible political machinations of rebuilding society, although I always struggled to understand how Panem evolved, how is that the system of governance they ended up with, it has to be the least efficient and productive way to set up a society especially in the wake of some sort of apocalyptic event. The Hunger Games trilogy, for me at least, is set in the least interesting part of the worlds history. I might try the books again to see if they fill in any blanks, but considering the quality of writing in the first book I hold out little hope.

Django Unchained- Generally enjoyable, one of the better films I've seen recently. Liked the cinematography and the grindhouse aesthetic, well written with mostly well developed characters as you'd expect from Tarantino. However over long and self indulgent at nearly 3 hours, seems to be lacking that special spark a Tarantino movie has as a result of a shorter running time or low budget.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Apr 2016, 14:19

Ooh, we watched hunger games part 2 as well. It was ok, but i had to google the books to remember how it ended. Its ok as a movie, a solid good but not great film. I seem to remember liking the books tho.
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 14 Apr 2016, 14:37

To be fair to the books I didn't give them much of a chance as I had a lot of books I wanted to get through at the time and something about the first few chapters didn't grab me so I binned it off for something "better". I've not got much of a backlog on the books any more so will try and give them a fair go.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”