What Film have you just watched?

Anything goes here...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 27 Mar 2016, 16:37

Just fixed your spoiler link John! Haven't seen the film myself and nearly read it!

We watched run all night last night. I enjoy its throwaway nature. The wife thought it was stupid.

I seem to remember liking inside out. So downloaded it to the sky box for when we get home.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Mar 2016, 23:30

Thanks Ras, very stupid from me although probably not much of a spoiler as it would make no sense without seeing the film and the trailers were much bigger spoilers.

It's not so much Inside Out is a bad film just not as good as its reputation suggested.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 29 Mar 2016, 09:26

Speaking of films on Sky, I watched Ex Machina last night, which was a film I hadn't really heard much about and found it decent enough to be emotionally invested for it's running time.

Reminds me of a slew of a Sci-fi films whose premise is much richer than a film can do justice. Not one I would watch again, but not time wasted either.

I also re-watched Inception on John's(?) recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better the second time. As Mrs T put it, you can ignore all the guff and just enjoy the film.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 29 Mar 2016, 12:44

which reminds me, think avengers part 2 was on last night, hopefully on iplayer so I can watch it in the week.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Mar 2016, 01:51

Ex Machine was a nice surprise as I'd had some recommendations for it but didn't know anything about it aside from it was something to do with AI, it's definitely better watching it having no idea what's going on. It's impressive for a low budget film as it works in its favour rather than against it as the film builds quite an atmosphere as it goes along.

I went to see Batman vs Superman tonight with pretty low expectations from the dodgy trailers and poor initial reviews and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, there's plenty of questionable elements and parts that don't work well however there are some good parts. I wasn't keen on them rebooting Batman so soon after Dark Knight Rises however it works better than I thought it would as they haven't really rebooted him, this Batman feels like a successor to the Nolan films coming many years after. Aside from a brief and pointless scene showing Bruce Wayne's parents being killed there's no references or scenes showing how Batman go to where he is now which is definitely a good idea when origin stories are getting pretty tired, instead there's some little hints such as a Robin suit that appears to have been defaced by Joker (suggesting Robin was killed, it's seen in the trailer) which has made for a more brutal Batman, more able to justify his actions and feels in line with Harvey Dent's comments in the Dark Knight that you die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. That fits in well with the vs Superman part as someone needs to reign in Batman, from Superman's side the film cleverly builds up from the huge amount of carnage in Man of Steel to question Superman's abilities and how he should be using them.

Spoiler:
Making sure I use the spoiler tags correctly!

On the downside I thought the whole Lex Luthor side to the film was rubbish, it seemed unnecessary that he was the one that set up the desert incident to make Superman look bad and the battle at the end was just completely silly. I can understand him developing technology to be able to stop Superman but what on earth was the plan with creating that being? I wasn't keen on the Batman vs Superman idea but it did start building it well particularly the sequence where Batman is chasing the truck with Kryptonite and getting a bit destructive, I liked that moment when Superman stops him as it starts to feel like there is a really a divide between them.

The damsel in distress roles for Lois Lane and Martha Kent were really disappointing and felt almost old fashioned although I did like the glimpses of Wonder Woman earlier in the film, moreso if they hadn't given it away who it was in the trailers.

I disliked them putting the Batman origin story at the start as it wasn't needed but in particular I thought the choice of actor for Thomas Wayne was strange, it is the same actor that played the Comedian in the Watchmen and not only that, he had a similar bushy mustache. I just expected him to laugh at the guy trying to shoot him, knock him unconscious then walk away smirking with a cigar lit. I don't think it was an intentional tip of the hat to Watchmen as there is later in the film (there's some graffiti that says who watches the watchers in Latin apparently).
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 30 Mar 2016, 10:07

going to give superbat a miss I think till it comes out on rental, figure it's something for a wet Sunday with a nice glass of red.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 30 Mar 2016, 15:38

We need to put a (knee) cap on the amount of puns in this thread.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Mar 2016, 16:17

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post We need to put a (knee) cap on the amount of puns in this thread.

j

We need to make sure some people use the right thread!

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 31 Mar 2016, 08:31

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post
jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post We need to put a (knee) cap on the amount of puns in this thread.

j

We need to make sure some people use the right thread!

John

Lol! What happened there?! Multiple tab fail I think...

j
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 01 Apr 2016, 09:50

What John said about Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice +1, really.

The film was good. Don't think about it too much and it stays good. And whatever you do, don't think about your precontrived views of the characters or you will really not like it. There are some facepalm-lol bits which aren't spoilery, like Lex having film trailers for all the planned DC films hanging about on his hard drive and Batfleck's and Alfred's constant alcoholism: wine for breakfast? Yeah! Fly a plane whilst sipping whiskey? Yeah!

But I think the characters worked. Batfleck was very good (and looks like Batman!) Lex was a bit weird at the end, but his take on the character worked - albeit a bit Joker mixed with Riddler at points.

I suppose the main issue with the film is that it lacks consistency. The story direction is just a bit muddled and ends up being contrived rather than developing. Otherwise a decent action-superhero romp. Especially if you're bored of your Marvel films not being broody from start to finish (one chuckle moment afair, with Martha and capes).
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 01 Apr 2016, 10:52

I get what you are saying tappy... Still not sure I will enjoy it as I think in my head I'll just assume all superman films are crap and that I like the idea of affleck directing affleck as batman as a standalone series / trilogy.

I kneed to keep an open view perhaps :slap:
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 01 Apr 2016, 23:00

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post Inside Out is now on Sky Movies and thought it was pretty good for being unpredictable and I liked the varying interpretations of how the brain works many of which were very clever. Beyond that though it felt hugely overrated although perhaps I'd feel differently if I was a parent or teenager. The sequence during the credits was brilliant though and wished there was more of that during the film.

I too wished more of the brain interacting scenes between humans were in the movie - the bit in the trailer and the end sequence - and found the rest a bit meh. But it was praised by a mental health association I remember reading.

Gladiator before my visit to Rome.
And Rocky (Italian connection...)
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 02 Apr 2016, 00:47

Deadpool

I liked it. Tho the fourth wall breaking isn't that impressive. But the humour is good.

Even read they're refilming bits of the suicide squad to add more humour, possibly because of the success of deadpool.

Jurassic world just dropped on sky movies too.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 04 Apr 2016, 09:27

matt wrote:Source of the post I get what you are saying tappy... Still not sure I will enjoy it as I think in my head I'll just assume all superman films are crap and that I like the idea of affleck directing affleck as batman as a standalone series / trilogy.

I don't blame you at all. I was very much in two minds about even bothering with seeing it at the cinema.

Speaking of Jurassic World, I watched this on Sky on the weekend. It was alright, but I'm glad I didn't go to the cinema to see it with you lot. Mostly because you all smell funky... ;)

Can't remember if I said it here. Seems not, I got a taste for some Star Trek a few weeks back after catching The Motion Picture on tv (yeah, I know, it's the bad one!) So I thought I would watch Into Darkness again and I gave up after about 30 minutes and watched Insurrection instead a really enjoyed it. How bizarre!
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 04 Apr 2016, 11:43

Also watched Jurassic World, it was all right, descended into nonsense towards the end, seems to just turn into a "Sharknado Vs Megadino" style stupid monster movie.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”