Photography Thread

Anything goes here...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 22 Jun 2017, 12:49

Impressive visuals, but i actually dont mind the shaking on the first one! Tho it is crispy smooth on the Yi 4k.

Just got an Aukey 4k action camera from them to test. My first action cam. £58 usually, has all the connectors and straps you need, a waterproof case, 2 batteries, rear screen, 2.4ghz remote, and a wifi app to control it.

Hopefully the visuals are as good as the price!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Photography Thread

Postby Replicant » 25 Mar 2019, 16:25

Well I am looking to buy a camera. A long time ago I had a Nikon DSLR, I forget the model now but it was a 6mp model.

I am considering buying a Sony 6000 as I would prefer something a bit smaller and pocketable than a DSLR. Any others that I should be considering?
Y.N.W.A.
Replicant

Photography Thread

Postby Replicant » 25 Mar 2019, 22:55

Well sod it I just went for it and bought an A6000. Need to do a lot of learning and look at possibly getting a telephoto lense as well
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Mar 2019, 23:30

Replicant wrote:Source of the post Well sod it I just went for it and bought an A6000. Need to do a lot of learning and look at possibly getting a telephoto lense as well

I was too slow in posting advice :) I think the A6000 is a great little camera as it's small with the 16-50mm lens (which I think is a great little lens despite negative reviews), the EVF works well and the APS-C sensor is extremely capable offering high iso and dynamic range not far off a full frame sensor. They have newer models now but I feel they're a lot of money for small upgrades and still have the Nex-6 myself which is the predecessor to the A6000 and very similar specification.

I hope you get on well with it.
Phalanx - liquid cooled i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz, 32GB ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/28TB HDD, dual blu-ray, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
Replicant

Photography Thread

Postby Replicant » 04 Apr 2019, 14:08

Well Johnmcl7, I played with it a bit in Barcelona last week but mostly stuck with the Auto settings while I learn the controls. There are way more now than when I had my D70 10+ yrs ago. I have to say I love the size and handling of the camera which seems to fit my hand well. Lots to learn though.

Been looking at getting a prime lens to sit alongside my kit lens and am trying to decide between going for the following:-
    Sony SEL50F18 E Mount - APS-C 50mm F1.8
    Sony SEL35F18 E Mount APS-C 35 mm F1.8

or whether to go for a not so good, but substantially cheaper whilst learning, Neewer 35mm f/1.7. the problem with this one is probably the manual focus.

I am erring on the Sony 35mm but price, whilst not extortionate, does seem fairly high. Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Apr 2019, 17:44

I'd recommend the 35mm over the 50mm as the latter gets pretty long on APS-C (around 85mm equiavalent) which limits its use unless you're specifically needing to shoot at a portrait focal length. The 35mm is around 50mm equivalent which is a good walk about focal length and with a decent resolution you can always crop a bit anyway whereas you can't go wider.

I've tried manual lenses but I just find them really annoying and end up not using them, it's perhaps because I'm very used to AF lenses however it's just much easier and quicker with AF.
Phalanx - liquid cooled i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz, 32GB ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/28TB HDD, dual blu-ray, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Apr 2019, 17:50

I've been trying to make more effort to take photos particularly when out on the bike, these two photos were taken when it was pitch black but the camera does a decent job:

Replicant

Photography Thread

Postby Replicant » 06 Apr 2019, 21:23

Yeah I have come to the same conclusion after reading many different articles online.

Trying to work out what sort of bag I would like as well. I like the idea of a sling type as can be used when riding too. Looks like I need to visit a shop to check out sizes etc first.
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 07 Apr 2019, 17:04

The 50mm gets better reviews than the 35mm. i own the 50mm and its a great lens. but the 35mm is a better option for the focal length.

That said the 16-70mm f4 lives on my A6000 and took that as a sole lens to hawaii. As its perfect at getting good wide shots and great at 70mm. Wanted to take my 70-200 f4 but just didnt have the space.

I have 3 camera bags! they hold 1, 2 & 4 lenses respectively! Give me some good options. Love my manfrotto compact 1 advanced bag though. Holds the camera and 2 additional lenses, as well as having room for a mini PIXI EVO tripod in the top pocket! Great little bag to run and gun with!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
Replicant

Photography Thread

Postby Replicant » 10 Apr 2019, 09:28

Well I went with the 35mm in the end as it does pretty much all that I want in a prime and should augment my two kit zoom lenses (16-50mm and 55-210mm) quite nicely. That's enough money spent on lenses for now.
Now its just down to practice and learning how to use it all.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 11 Apr 2019, 00:59

Replicant wrote:Source of the post Yeah I have come to the same conclusion after reading many different articles online.

Trying to work out what sort of bag I would like as well. I like the idea of a sling type as can be used when riding too. Looks like I need to visit a shop to check out sizes etc first.

I have one of the sling type bags (a LowePro Slingshot 100AW) which I find good for walking but I find it doesn't sit well in place when cycling as it doesn't pull the weight tight against your back so it swings back and forth with any weight on it. At the moment I use a soft Lowepro bag (almost just loose fabric) to put the camera in and then put it in the 4L backpack I use for cycling as that's enough to protect it against the bike equipment in the bag.

The problem is that it won't really take any bigger than the RX1 camera wise and while it will just fit the drone, there's no room for any spare clothing so I'm looking at bigger backpacks but I don't want anything that's going to be too big as I like the fact my existing backpack sits high on my back and it's not noticeable. I have been using my larger camera backpacks on the bike but they're really not designed for cycling either as again they don't hold the weight tight enough against my back and they're just too hefty.
Replicant

Photography Thread

Postby Replicant » 06 Jun 2019, 15:27

Processing...

Lightroom or Photoshop to start with? I have never used LR and have not really used PS for well over 5 years and even then it was only a bit of a dabble. Also, does anyone know if you can use either of these on an iPad Pro 11" ?
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Jun 2019, 00:26

Replicant wrote:Source of the post Processing...

Lightroom or Photoshop to start with? I have never used LR and have not really used PS for well over 5 years and even then it was only a bit of a dabble. Also, does anyone know if you can use either of these on an iPad Pro 11" ?

There is some overlap between Photoshop and Lightroom but Lightroom is primarily for processing raw photos as well as some great cataloguing tools whereas Photoshop is more intended for more artistic/creative editing of the images. I think Lightroom is probably the one you'll want to use and it is available for the ipad as well although you can't buy Lightroom as a one off now, only as a subscription. I use the last standalone version of Lightroom for processing photos and never tried on mobile although it doesn't support newer cameras and I'll have to change if I purchase a newer camera.
Replicant

Photography Thread

Postby Replicant » 08 Jun 2019, 08:26

Thanks John - I had pretty much come to this conclusion.

From what I can see, you can use the LR app for free but it is limited as to what you can do or you can subscribe to the app. However, I don’t believe that this gives you any access to LR on a PC/Mac. I have no idea how this works the other way around at the moment.
Y.N.W.A.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”