Torrenting: An Idiot's Guide

Guides and useful links
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Re: Torrenting: An Idiot's Guide

Postby EviL Ras » 26 Aug 2009, 08:27

Wont matter now. apparently all of britain will be cut off the net as we all download!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 26 Aug 2009, 11:16

Replicant wrote:Do you use Transmission then Dave?

I have always decided against the default and installed utorrent instead.

Yes, because I use torrents so infrequently these days, that I'll just use what ever's there.
Visit my blog & follow me on Twitter
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 26 Aug 2009, 11:34

EviL Ras wrote:Wont matter now. apparently all of britain will be cut off the net as we all download!

Hmm, yes. I really thing Madelson ought to be investigated for conflicts of interest, seeing as he's been wined and dined by Geffin before pushing these policies though. By doing so, he as really compromised himself, IMHO. I mean, how many of us can wine and dine a politician on our yacht so they can listen to our opinions?

As for "illegal downloads". Between DRM free music shops and Spotify, there's no need to illegally download music any more. Thanks to Steam, buying games is more convenient than downloading illegally. If the movie and book industries woke up to this, and actually provided their material on terms that suit consumers (i.e. DRM free with non-proprietary formats), then illegal file sharing would no longer occur in significant numbers.

Just to clarify what I think needs doing. I think when we buy media, (A) We should have the option of "try before you buy", and (B) We should not have any restrictions put on us after we've spent out money. I.e. emulate the analogue world, with the headphone booth and an unrestricted CD/LP/Tape. In music things are now good, because Spotify (and Last.fm to a lesser extent) fills the "try before you buy" gap. It's actually simpler to use Spotify than it is to go an torrent an album. Then we have plenty of DRM free on-line music stores, that are selling in the ubiquitous MP3 format (okay, MP3 is proprietary, but the level of ubiquity almost cancels that out). So we're sorted. Steam on the other hand, does have DRM, but I personally haven't needed to do something where the DRM got in the way, but they do lack a trial feature, I think they need that. So if we have movie and e-book outlets that mirrored the current music situation, why would you ever need to go file sharing again?

Let's face it also, that by suing a lonely & poor single mother for downloading a few songs, they're going after the low hanging fruit. If they're that serious about piracy, why don't the stop trying to frighten the living crap out of ordinary people, and go after the organised crime groups who are actually making a profit by selling illegal copies!!!

Another thing is that if people at home sharing files is such a problem, how come nobody as gone out of business? Sure they can argue that they're loosing profits, supported with evidence from the department of big numbers, but they're still making a profit. Case in point, Geffin who has lobbied Mandelson into doing this thing, has a personal fortune of £4.6bn, so we can all plainly see, he is really suffering due to file sharing ... NOT.

If it's true that people at home sharing files is truly such a drain on the businesses, I want to see some blood on the floor, I want to see studios actually go out business because file sharing truly made it too difficult for them to do business. Otherwise, I think you have to question what you hear in the propaganda, *cough*, news.
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby scarbunny » 26 Aug 2009, 11:49

DaveG wrote:
As for "illegal downloads". Between DRM free music shops and Spotify, there's no need to illegally download music any more. Thanks to Steam, buying games is more convenient than downloading illegally.

I'm sorry but this is personal opinion. You may like Steam and that is fine however in my experiences it is poorly designed and slow at best, at worst it actively works against the player.

If I wanted I could download any game for free in less time than it would take to get it from Steam, I wouldn’t have to worry about licensing issues, I wouldn’t need to be on line to play the game, I wouldn’t need Steam installed, I wouldn't need Steam upgrades to play the game, I wouldn’t need patches.

All DLC is available for free, all games are available for free, hell if I really wanted I could install a cracked version of Steam and have everything that Steam offer for free.

As to Madelsons new idea, I cant see it ever being enforced, ISPs wont want to do it as it would cost too much, and in the end it would lose them custom.

Also the only people that illegal sharing of music is bad for is the record companies and all they do is leech of the talent so "dual em"
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 26 Aug 2009, 12:35

I haven't had any problems with Steam, so what has it done to inconvenience you?
(Besides the slow downloads, again, I get fast downloads from them, so this is a case-by-case criticism).
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 26 Aug 2009, 12:51

Apart from how slow it is, the fact that it forces you to update even if the updates only affect the multiplayer side of a game, even if you don’t use multiplayer, the fact it requires an internet connection before it will let you play your games, it doesn’t even offer the option of using a different server for downloads, it requires updates of its own software before you can play any games through it and it is expensive.

The speed is a major issue for me, but for you it isn’t that is another major problem with Steam, the user experience is far to varied. If we both buy a disk and install it we will both have pretty much the same experience, give or take a few minutes depending on our set ups, if we did the same via Steam you would be playing the game hours before me with much less hassle so for the same money you get a better user experience than me.

The fact is piracy is easier, quicker and more reliable than Steam will ever be, and therefore much more convenient.

I'm not condoning piracy just highlighting the reason people do it. I have in the past pirated a lot however I now see that it never really appreciated any of the games I got, I was always looking for the next new game. Since moving away from illegality I get much more pleasure from games, I actually play them fully, I spend time on playing them rather than running through as quickly as possible.
raith_rovers_fan
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby raith_rovers_fan » 26 Aug 2009, 18:16

When I re-installed my hard drive and downloaded some games from steam again i was getting 1mb/s plus download speed at non peak times, so i think that the speed is mostly down to your own internet connection and not so much down to steams servers. Meaning you would probabliy torrent something at much the same speed.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 26 Aug 2009, 19:06

I can torrent at around 600-700kbs, I can download from HTTP servers like Rapidshare at 1.9mbs a second there is nothing wrong with m connection. I downloaded the whole first series of True Blood in HD in under 2 hours half the time it took to download a 120mb patch on Steam

I wouldn't mind Steam being slow for me if I could go to any other server. and download the patches.

Return to “Useful Info”