Ubuntu Linux

Guides and useful links
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Ubuntu Linux

Postby Replicant » 01 May 2009, 22:55

Got to agree with Visual Studio being an excellent product and as a student I get it all for free as well!!

Well I have restored my M1330 fully back to Vista now (even removed the dual boot) as need to use too many MS based products that I do not have the time to find the Linux based alternatives and learn as well.

Still have my old desktop test bed for playing with Ubuntu and Fedora (could never completely give them up). Been looking hard at getting a Mac as well although this is more of an extravagance at the moment.
Y.N.W.A.
kingosticks
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby kingosticks » 02 May 2009, 13:51

This is taking this off to a tangent but what is so good about VS? I used it during a summer placement 2 years ago but ever since Ive been using eclipse and despite having VS available I have not gone back. Obviously I wasnt using all the features but can someone please explain what Im missing?
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 06 May 2009, 19:14

I've just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my XCT (via WUBI), and I have an annoying little problem I'm wondering if any of you have come across.

Ubuntu itself is showing the correct time. However, the LED clock on my XCT is now showing an hour ahead. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do about it?

Thanks.
Visit my blog & follow me on Twitter
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 06 May 2009, 22:07

Yeah I have had that in the past - I think you will find that Windows or Ubuntu has updated your BIOS clock to UTC or GMT plus summer time without taking into account that summer time has already been taken account of.

Thats a poor explanation but my memory is hazy as its almost 2 years since I had the problem.
Y.N.W.A.
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 06 May 2009, 22:52

Replicant wrote:Yeah I have had that in the past - I think you will find that Windows or Ubuntu has updated your BIOS clock to UTC or GMT plus summer time without taking into account that summer time has already been taken account of.

Thats a poor explanation but my memory is hazy as its almost 2 years since I had the problem.

Problem seems to have fixed itself. Having rebooted it seems to have correct itself. I did tell Ubuntu it was in London's timezone, but not sure if that was what helped.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 06 May 2009, 22:59

The XCT BIOS clock gets updated when you reboot the machine.
Y.N.W.A.
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 07 May 2009, 01:59

I've found another couple of other minor gotcha's now:

• The touchpad appears to not work
  • The volume keys launch the new growl-like notifier which shows a volume indicator changing. However, this doesn't actually do anything to the master volume. I have to click the loud-speaker icon in the system tray and use the mouse to move the slider.
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 10 May 2009, 21:42

Things are going well with my wubi install now.

This is my third attempt at it, the webcam has been strange because it worked first time, didn't work second time and then this third time is working again!

I fixed the touchpad issue from this Launchpad report.

The volume control issue I had was found to be caused by Totem. It seems that if you run Totem, the Growl volume notification and master volume control become somehow unbound. I haven't found any mention of this online or in the Ubuntu IRC channel, so my solution has been to change the file associations so that Totem is never launched (I've tried removing it, but it won't go for some reason). So this one is a bit of a bodge fix, but it'll do for now.

Currently have Spotify running under Wine and may try out Steam & TF2 tomorrow (no backups, so it'll have to be a big download).
kingosticks
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby kingosticks » 11 May 2009, 14:19

Please let me know if you find a way to change the resolution of TF2 running under Wine.
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 11 May 2009, 14:59

kingosticks wrote:Please let me know if you find a way to change the resolution of TF2 running under Wine.

Will do, haven't downloaded it yet, just got Steam installed and downloaded AudioSurf, which I haven't had time for yet either. I've still been working on some mundane things like putting together some rsync scripts for back ups and getting my off-site back up (JungleDisk) set up.
Advocate

Postby Advocate » 11 May 2009, 15:49

kingosticks wrote:This is taking this off to a tangent but what is so good about VS?

I love the user interface, the gui creator, the debug console and syntax checking of VS - I'm yet to find something that does all of that in one package as well as VS does.

Eclipse is ok, but I prefer netbeans...

:offtopic:
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 16 May 2009, 17:20

Just to report back that I installed Steam under Wine, it worked, but not flawlessly. I installed TF2, and it would run, and I could change graphics settings, but even on the lowest of everything, the framerate was unacceptably slow. So, I'll probably be trying out a few native Linux games instead.

Otherwise, I am having a great time living with Ubuntu. GNOME is a much much nicer environment than XP, and I have yet to come up against a technical issue that I either could not fix or work around.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 16 May 2009, 17:30

I will get back to it later this year sometime after I finish college in June as just dont have the time to devote to it at the moment. It just makes me procrastinate!
Y.N.W.A.
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 16 May 2009, 17:56

Replicant wrote:I will get back to it later this year sometime after I finish college in June as just dont have the time to devote to it at the moment. It just makes me procrastinate!

Yeah. Fortunately I have had sometime on my hands which I took advantage of. Ironically, getting back to grips with Ubuntu was something I was procrastinating over :)

I was hoping that I could proclaim that I thought Ubuntu was "fit for grandma". Although I feel I can't now. I think if you have a distro that has been tailored/pre-installed for your hardware, then yes, Ubuntu is as good, if not better, for non-techies to use than Windows. Although if you're slapping it on any old heterogeneous hardware, such as my laptop, then I think you do need to be classed as at least an enthusiast to be able to deal with the technical hurdles you'll come up against.

In spite of those problems, I really like it. I'm just going to have to spent some time investigating my gaming options. I've set up everything else that I regularly used Windows for.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 16 May 2009, 19:05

I did have Steam set up on Ubuntu last year using WINE and was running CS:Source almost perfectly in it without much tweaking at all. Also installed Enemy Territory, as there is a native version, and it was at least as good as XP was at the time.

Like you say it isnt really friendly enough for a non techie user if you install it yourself, its a little different if pre-installed but that can be the same for Windows for non technical users. EG my mum could no more install XP than she could Ubuntu.
Y.N.W.A.

Return to “Useful Info”