Re: Ubuntu Linux

Postby kingosticks » 29 Jun 2009, 01:30

1080xwhatsit
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 28 Nov 2009, 18:20

Hey guys, not sure if any of you know how to do this but I discovered how to set the power button on the M1330 to partition 1 (Windows) and the Media Direct key to partition 2(Mac OS) on a multibooted hard drive.

So we’ll set things up so that the power button boots into Windows and the "Media Direct" button (the one with the home logo) boots up into Mac OS. To do so, pop in the Media Direct reinstallation DVD that came with your system and type this in the command prompt:

D:\dellkit\rmbr.exe DELL 1 2

where D: is your DVD Drive, 1 is the partition no. of Windows and 2 is the partition no. of Mac OS

Now my question is - Would it be possible to do this just as easily with Win7 and Ubuntu or would GRUB get in the way of this?
Y.N.W.A.
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 28 Nov 2009, 19:39

Replicant wrote:Hey guys, not sure if any of you know how to do this but I discovered how to set the power button on the M1330 to partition 1 (Windows) and the Media Direct key to partition 2(Mac OS) on a multibooted hard drive.

So we’ll set things up so that the power button boots into Windows and the "Media Direct" button (the one with the home logo) boots up into Mac OS. To do so, pop in the Media Direct reinstallation DVD that came with your system and type this in the command prompt:

D:\dellkit\rmbr.exe DELL 1 2

where D: is your DVD Drive, 1 is the partition no. of Windows and 2 is the partition no. of Mac OS

Now my question is - Would it be possible to do this just as easily with Win7 and Ubuntu or would GRUB get in the way of this?

My guess would be that it would work the same as long as you installed GRUB in Ubuntu's partition, rather than the MBR. I can't remember if the standard Ubuntu installer gives you this option, but you can definitely do it with the "Alternate CD".
Visit my blog & follow me on Twitter
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 28 Nov 2009, 19:42

I am considering doing a Win7/Mac OSX dual boot with a virtualized Ubuntu instead.

I have a spare 80gb I might play around with to see what happens.
Y.N.W.A.
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 28 Nov 2009, 20:12

Replicant wrote:I am considering doing a Win7/Mac OSX dual boot with a virtualized Ubuntu instead.

Good luck, I'm rolling with Ubuntu only and enjoying myself here
(I do have a virtualised XP, but have only used it for blogging research).
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 29 Nov 2009, 20:48

Replicant wrote:I am considering doing a Win7/Mac OSX dual boot with a virtualized Ubuntu instead.

Well I have been playing with this all day and managed to get it to install but cannot get it boot into the finished installation, bugger keeps tripping over when rebooting. Had enough for one day so put my main hard drive back in now.

One for another rainy day methinks.
Y.N.W.A.
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 08 Dec 2009, 22:27

I'm starting to think about getting a new laptop. My XCT is running great, but I wouldn't mind something smaller and with lots more battery life (I don't even get an hour on this), but a nvidia (or ati if I have to) graphics card would be nice. Although, I'm not really sure what would be compatible with Ubuntu, and I really get a chance to test a lot, so I have to get it right first time! Have been Googling around, but the only up to date information I can find is for laptops I can't buy any more ... I think.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
Advocate

Postby Advocate » 08 Dec 2009, 22:40

All I know is there are issues with Ubuntu on the Dell Studio XPS1340 - great laptop but it doesnt play nice in ubuntu - mostly due to the 2 gpus I think.
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 08 Dec 2009, 23:46

Thanks.

I've been recommended to look at ThinkPads or Toshiba laptops. ThinkPads are a safe bet, but they have limited specs. Although, the current Toshiba at the moment is the A500, a Google search showed up a few people having problems with it and Ubuntu.

Hmm.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 05 Jan 2010, 00:15

Well I went out and bought a little P4 powered HP ultra slim for £30 to play with and am really loving getting back into Ubuntu again and tinkering around with Conky to set up a nice desktop.

Really need to sort out my shell scripting skills though as they are poor at the minute.
Y.N.W.A.

Return to “Useful Info”