Asus PX24 - ultra small and quiet HD machine

Write a review of your latest purchase
stix0780
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Re: Asus PX24 - ultra small and quiet HD machine

Postby stix0780 » 10 Jul 2008, 11:24

i may be missing this but whats the price point for one of these as it looks like a great media center for the bedroom but would entirely depend on whether is financially worthwhile over a self built shuttle (which'd leave room for upgrading/chopping and changing components).

john, the major benefit i see from this is the hassle free out of the box usage. how simple is it to use once set up if say a techtarded mum was to have one?

*edit not saying mums are all techtarded, just using mine as an example.
Last edited by stix0780 on 10 Jul 2008, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
sig in a box
Spoiler:
computing -
sammy 12" q210 w/p8400, 320gb hd, 3gb ram, 9200gs, vista
watching stuff -
wdtv + 1.5tb wd external +32" tosh
gamimg -
ps3 gamer id = stix0780
xbox 360 gamer id = stix0780
sega mastersystem gamer id = :(
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 10 Jul 2008, 12:25

that is an interesting point you have raised Stix, the ps3 has been mentioned as a similar devive once you take blu ray into consideration but we've not really looked at what other PC based options there are.

I've not kept up with it myself but I believe there are small form factor media set ups along side the different form types offered by dell such as the all in one monitor/media pc and rock's Meivo offering.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Jul 2008, 13:09

stix0780 wrote:i may be missing this but whats the price point for one of these as it looks like a great media center for the bedroom but would entirely depend on whether is financially worthwhile over a self built shuttle (which'd leave room for upgrading/chopping and changing components).

john, the major benefit i see from this is the hassle free out of the box usage. how simple is it to use once set up if say a techtarded mum was to have one?

*edit not saying mums are all techtarded, just using mine as an example.

I entirely agree with you there and going to update the review showing the WMC interface and remote system to give an idea of how easy it to use. At the moment the PX24 relies entirely on Windows Media Center which to be fair is meant to the be component that makes this relatively easy to use as a media centre. Basically you press the big green start button on the remote control and this fires up the media interface which is a large icon based system which you can scroll through for pictures, music, videos, dvd and tasks such as shutdown etc. I'd really like to see something similar but at a system level for the entire PC so when you booted it instead of seeing Vista you'd see this interface which would make for a very simple user friendly interface for anyone with Vista available for more tech savvy people. The hardware is great and Asus definitely have the resources to add this, it would make the device a lot more appealing to mainstream users. I think there is a lot of potential in this market as many people are not going to be building their own machine and the hardware itself looks good, is compact, quiet and to get working with an HDTV is so simple, hdmi lead and power then yuo're ready to go.

The annoying thing is that my Mum has been using my C400 media laptop to watch an old TV series and she would have been perfect to test out the PX24 as a non-technical user however she's away on holiday and not back until next week after the PX24 goes home to Asus.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 14 Jul 2008, 23:35

have you happened to use the apple tv John? I saw one on the gadget show today and thought of this machine as it appeared a similar size. I've never really looked into the specs / usage of it though.

edit: it looks to be quite a closed system concentrated on the media management side of things.
Soup4
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby Soup4 » 14 Jul 2008, 23:59

The Apple TV can only cope with limited HD, it's 720p only and supported bit rates are ratter restrictive. An upgraded 1080p capable, Blu-ray-equipped HMDI-output Apple TV is on the cards though. I'm hoping they'll also reduce it's dependency on a supporting machine complete with iTunes library as well because otherwise, it's ideal for us.

Soup
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 15 Jul 2008, 01:38

Final text is up but the forum seems to be hanging attempting to check the images, still trying to get them working.

Edit - not happening, the image checking facility seems to be broken entirely now as all the edits are hanging even without the image links :x

Pictures are here for now:

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 15 Jul 2008, 08:12

Soup4 wrote:The Apple TV can only cope with limited HD, it's 720p only and supported bit rates are ratter restrictive. An upgraded 1080p capable, Blu-ray-equipped HMDI-output Apple TV is on the cards though. I'm hoping they'll also reduce it's dependency on a supporting machine complete with iTunes library as well because otherwise, it's ideal for us.

Soup

Now that has got me interested. Especially as the new Iphone will be able to control them from anywhere in the house... Better start saving. (need a new amp first. Well, and a new iphone).

John, that remote control night shot photo is stunning!
peted76
mimobots
mimobots

Postby peted76 » 17 Jul 2008, 11:19

Thanks a load for updating the review john, I think it's fair to say that this is a nifty little bit of kit.
The question I'll pose though to everyone here is, is there a market for one of these?
User of Asus G1 | Asus W5F | IBM T43p | PCMCIA MoGo | MX518 | Logitech Z-10 | USB controlled foam missile launcher | PSN: peted76 | Steam: garabug2
www.techpond.co.uk the UK's number 1 tech discussion forum
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 17 Jul 2008, 11:39

depending on price Pete..
get one for me for £150 and I'll buy it right away :D
peted76
mimobots
mimobots

Postby peted76 » 17 Jul 2008, 12:01

The price is at the top of the review.
£299inc VAT
User of Asus G1 | Asus W5F | IBM T43p | PCMCIA MoGo | MX518 | Logitech Z-10 | USB controlled foam missile launcher | PSN: peted76 | Steam: garabug2
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 17 Jul 2008, 12:45

depends how much more for it with bluray?

It certainly has a lot of potential as I am looking for something to sit by my amp to stream music etc. As far as my considerations so far, this seems to be a mix between the apple tv, ps3/xbox and other media pc's.
peted76
mimobots
mimobots

Postby peted76 » 17 Jul 2008, 22:40

I don't think there will be a BlueRay option.
MajorCockUp
Fish food
Fish food

Postby MajorCockUp » 17 Jul 2008, 22:56

nice little pc. good that asus has started sending things to you.
im off hunting bits for a nano-pc on ebay. i was thinking of building one and stick it on the back of my 24" monitor. it would go nicely with some bluetooth periferals
There will be something very funny and possibly smart written here as soon as it pops into my mind. Any time now...
peted76
mimobots
mimobots

Postby peted76 » 17 Jul 2008, 23:06

Funnily enough I believe Asus have a bracket that attaches the PX24 as reviewed to the back of a monitor, via VESA wall mount holes.
MajorCockUp
Fish food
Fish food

Postby MajorCockUp » 17 Jul 2008, 23:12

Ive seen it well before on a sony desktop.
There will be something very funny and possibly smart written here as soon as it pops into my mind. Any time now...

Return to “Reviews”