Asus UX31 Zenbook ultra notebook

Write a review of your latest purchase
UKIan
Master of the Salmon Slap

Asus UX31 Zenbook ultra notebook

Postby UKIan » 17 Dec 2011, 13:58

Oh god it is pretty. And light. And pretty. Bizarrely it feels huge compared to the Vaio Z

Got as far as switching it on so far. Spec is i7, 4gig ram, 128gig ssd, 13" 1600X900 display.

More later :)
Tappy

Re: Asus UX31 Zenbook ultra notebook

Postby Tappy » 17 Dec 2011, 19:34

Ooooo, that is a rather beautiful looking device.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 18 Dec 2011, 00:07

nice Ian, wish I had your ability to obtain new shiny things!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 18 Dec 2011, 03:34

It feels huge compared to the Vaio Z? I assume you mean the other way round?

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 18 Dec 2011, 19:38

Johnmcl7 wrote:It feels huge compared to the Vaio Z? I assume you mean the other way round?

John

Bizarrely no. It is slightly wider and slightly taller with the screen open. It is way lighter and of course thinner, but has a slightly larger foot print. The screen seems bigger some how and I'm not sure why. I think part of it is the colour. The Z is black, the Zenbook is all silver all over which perhaps makes it feel bigger?

It is also blisteringly fast. I am quite shocked in fact. Now I've configured it and installed everything, a full boot takes 10-20 seconds or so. Applications start in a flash. The Z has the four SSD's in magic raid format. This just has the one 128gig ssd and I would say it is significantly quicker.

Graphics are no where near as quick though. The Z has a 330m in it and that is significantly quicker on the tests I've run.

Other nice things, the Zenbook has resolutely refused to get warm. At all. That impresses me no end.

Um the only other thing is the screen feels brighter than the Z, but also feels a little more blue as if it has a higher temperature set. Not sure, you don't notice unless both are on next to each other.

Return to “Reviews”