Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus

Write a review of your latest purchase
UKIan
Master of the Salmon Slap

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus

Postby UKIan » 16 Dec 2011, 22:42

Mine turned up today. So far impressions are mixed.

It's exactly the same size as a kindle (the original with keyboard). Really the same size. Height, width and length. It does feel heavier though which would be the glass and metal I guess.

Screen is quite nice. No complaints there.

It has a power button and volume controls on one side and of course the screen is touch screen. It also has an accellerometer so you can do some navigation by tilting it left right/back forth. So far I've found it difficult to pick up without accidently hitting the power button or swiping the screen. I think I'll get used to that, I used to accidently turn the page on the kindle when I picked it up, and don't any more.

Performance is a biit tricky. It's supposed to be pretty fast compartively, but I'm finding it a bit sluggish, especially with deciding which aspect to rotate the screen to and scrolling the main screen. Applications don't seem to suffer from slow downs like that though.

No idea if battery life is good or not yet. It comes with yet another stupid power cable which ends in an ipad like wide socket. This, like the ipad doesn't seem to want to charge from a usb port, it needs a dedicated power supply which annoys me, but it annoys me on the ipad too.

Some apps don't work on it. I don't fully understand Android and how app compatibility works. One that won't download because it is not compatible is the TvGuide.co.uk app. I really can't see why, it doesn't do anything clever, but it won't work on either of my android tablets.

The kindle app won't make text small enough for me. On its smallest setting it still feels huge compared to the actual kindle. It could be smaller, there could be less space between the lines, I don't know why this isn't an option, but again it's a bit frustrating.

That's it so far.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus

Postby Johnmcl7 » 18 Dec 2011, 03:33

Have you checked if you can use an adapter for charging? The original Tab will not charge off a USB port as the current is too low but there's a little adapter you can get that increases the current available by disabling the USB connectivity.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 18 Dec 2011, 19:32

Johnmcl7 wrote:Have you checked if you can use an adapter for charging? The original Tab will not charge off a USB port as the current is too low but there's a little adapter you can get that increases the current available by disabling the USB connectivity.

John

Ooo have no idea, but I will be heading to the internet now to find out!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 18 Dec 2011, 21:59

This is the one I had for the Tab although I have no idea if there's any risks with it:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004IKT ... prod_title

John
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 18 Dec 2011, 23:11

Johnmcl7 wrote:This is the one I had for the Tab although I have no idea if there's any risks with it:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004IKT ... prod_title

John

Marvelous, I will give it a go. It's infuriating, it's not just the fact these things require extra oomph, it's the fact that they all have a different bloody connector at the other end as well. This at a time when all the mobile firms, including apple, have agreed to use a standard usb socket on their phones. You would of thought it would of been obvious to do something similar on the tablet side too :/
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 18 Dec 2011, 23:40

But haven't apple, and I assume some of the others, got round that by providing an adapter?

Not sure if it will be the same for the Galaxy Tab but the iPad will charge from some PC USB ports, the screen won't change to tell you it is but the battery will fill.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Dec 2011, 04:09

I thought Apple were the only ones that hadn't agreed to a standard USB connector on their phones? I share your frustration though as it is superb now that most phones all use the same usb connector which means by carrying a mini-usb and a micro-usb cable I can cater to most people's needs. The flies in the ointment are of course the Tab and more surprisingly my Cowon J3 mp3 player which for no particularly reason uses its own proprietary connector.

On the older Tab at least it won't charge from any USB ports, it does a check and disables the charging function if it's a PC USB port. The little adapter for the Tab was very useful and I've been meaning to look into using it for the Note, it will charge off a USB port with a standard cable but it is painfully slow (the Note uses a larger 2,500Mah battery) so if this adapter would increase the current and charge it up quicker that would be great. I would recommend some caution though Ian, I'd hate for your Tab to be damaged because that adapter is doing something it shouldn't.

John
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 19 Dec 2011, 11:13

As far as I am aware Apple is keeping its 30 pin connector even though they are one of the 14 companies that signed the agreement, but the EU are happy with this as long as a usb to 30-pin adaptor is included.

Which seems to negate the point of signing an agreement to standardise, as having an adaptor is even less convenient.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Dec 2011, 14:40

Yeah that really doesn't make any sense because if there's no standard usb port then it doesn't really matter if there's an adapter or not as the phone isn't going to work with a standard cable on its own which is really the whole point.

I was checking the specs of the Tab plus and it's a 1.2Ghz Exynos platform which should be quick. The Note runs a higher resolution and a slightly higher clocked platform but it's pretty nippy although then again it's running Gingerbread rather than Honeycomb.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 21 Jul 2012, 10:53

Ian, have you got the nexus yet?
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 22 Jul 2012, 07:24

matt wrote:Ian, have you got the nexus yet?

It's on order. It's a bit odd. You order it through Play, but Play isn't quite set up for anything that isn't an app. So ordering it was fine, but when I went back to find my order and see if I could find a delivery date,... not so easy. When I eventually did, there's a button marked "Contact Google gmbh intl corp gb okasaka gibberish" instead of any useful tracking or order status info.

So disappointed with the ordering process, not a fan of Play, have high hopes for the Nexus though, I'll let you know when it arrives :)

Return to “Reviews”