Visual review/ guide to Android

Write a review of your latest purchase
kingosticks
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Re: Visual review/ guide to Android

Postby kingosticks » 24 Feb 2010, 11:38

That backup program sounds very useful, the overhead of reinstalling everything makes the process much less appealing. I also really like sense and am reluctant to try the plain Android ROMs. Is there an easy way to tell which ones have sense? Is it safe to assume it hasn't unless it specifically says?

Also, what are the benefits of installing apps on the sd card? Is it just for more space or will this free up more internal phone memory which can then be used as RAM? I seem to be always on <30mb of RAM and pressing task killer for a speed boost.

And yes, the Market version I have access to seems to be missing all the new 1.6 maps and buzz stuff.
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby jurassicjim » 24 Feb 2010, 20:02

Ti is really good if you get it working. Just takes a little bit more hassle out the whole affair. If you donate $4 or something it will also auto install everything at super quick speed rather than having to confirm every apps reinstall.

Not sure there is an easy way to tell if roms are sense or not, but I'm pretty sure that the roms forum page would state this as its quite a big point.

Benefits of installing to SD card are mainly space. But I don't bother as don't need extra space, have about 20 core apps that I use all the time and any others I use once a week or whatever I just install as and when. Think some apps can take longer to load when installed on SD card depending on the speed of the card itself.

Many roms include a compcache and swap feature, which allows you to allocate more ram in various ways. Doesn't seem to be a universal setting for best results, just a question of seeing what works best for you. You will have to look at the 1.5 roms and see if they have the feature. In anycase, not sure you will need these features because of the higer specs of your phone over my G1 where resources are a bit more limited.

There is A LOT of stuff you can do with your phone, and much of it will improve performance, just a question of finding the right rom/ setting combination that works for you.

j
kingosticks
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby kingosticks » 25 Feb 2010, 00:34

I'm so glad I finally did try a custom ROM - it is so much faster and makes the phone much nicer to use. Thanks for this guide and everyones advice which convinced me to do it.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 25 Feb 2010, 13:08

Which one did you go for in the end?
kingosticks
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby kingosticks » 25 Feb 2010, 15:08

Just a simple Modaco 3.1. I will try some others out once i set the TI backup program up.

in other news, anyone wana try this: http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/25/quak ... al-prowess
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 25 Feb 2010, 15:28

I saw that quake 3, pretty impressive. Not sure my old g1 could handle it though.

j
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 25 Feb 2010, 17:18

Looks like they ported it to N900 as well and works with a Wiimote
Will try it some time
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 25 Feb 2010, 20:24

Yeah I have seen Quake, Doom and Duke Nukem on the N900.
Y.N.W.A.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 25 Feb 2010, 22:03

Well, my contract is up for renewal or cancellation tomorrow, but not sure what to do as there are no good phones out yet.

Going to have to see what tmobile can offer and hedge my bets on them getting a decent phone.

First time ever I have been happy to wait with my old phone and see what comes out rather than just getting something new asap. Well done g1!

J
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 25 Feb 2010, 22:13

where are the 1ghz, android 2.1 qwerty handsets!!!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 25 Feb 2010, 22:28

No where to be seen until at least April by the looks.

Think I will stick it out, and see what happens, not in a rush as happy with the G1. may end up buying a Nexus one and getting whatever rebate I can by not taking an upgrade with T-Mobile.

I'm less fussed about a hardware keyboard than I was as Swype is dreamy and makes touchscreen texting a pleasure, even on the G1's smaller screen.

Tempted by the Xperia, but noticed it has less Ram than the HTC Desire, and also runs a non google standard version of android, which I'm quite keen for. So Looks like the Nexus may be my only option. Wish someone was doing it over here though!!

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 26 Feb 2010, 01:47

Vodafone will be first with the Nexus One apparently:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46659

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 26 Feb 2010, 01:54

yeah, they have the exclusivity, but they dont say how long for. but in the US you can get it branded with your name!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
kingosticks
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby kingosticks » 28 Feb 2010, 13:07

I tried to put my mp3s back on my phone yesterday and found that the playback is now really bad. it stops and starts during songs and is pretty unusable right now. I used to sometimes have problems at the start of songs on my stock rom when using last.fm scrobblng but this is much worse. I think im going to have to go back to the stock one, such a shame.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 28 Feb 2010, 17:01

I would have thought that somebody has made a better rom, becuase thats a pretty huge problem for a rom to have.

I would do some searching and ask questions on XDA as sure you can find a rom with the speed you enjoy and is stable.

j

Return to “Reviews”