Maxtors External Drive Warranty

Write a review of your latest purchase
Dr Who
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Maxtors External Drive Warranty

Postby Dr Who » 22 Jul 2009, 22:32

Sucks.

Drive failed, but I suspected it was the housing not the physical drive. Drive was in warranty but their returns policy states that they will NOT recover data. Obviously an external drive stores stuff thats kinda important and not on my laptop! So, I had to dissasemble the enclosure to check whether the internal drive was still working. And, it was. Data saved. However I have now voided my warranty and can't return the enclosure for a replacement. So you are given the choice - your data or a replacement. That plain sucks.
matt
Cake
Cake

Re: Maxtors External Drive Warranty

Postby matt » 22 Jul 2009, 23:35

not ideal but can you buy a new caddy? Should be cheap at £10-15?
Dr Who
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Dr Who » 23 Jul 2009, 11:06

Sadly it is a 3.5" drives and all the caddys are about £25. I can get a 250Gb WD passport drive from PCWorld (of all places) for £40, which is more convenient since it is a 2.5" drive and doesn't need a power supply. So I am left with a 250Gb 3.5" SATA drive I have no use for, which is annoying.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Jul 2009, 18:38

To be fair to the company I'd imagine most have the same policy, data retrieval would mean a lot more work rather than just sending out another drive. Given the drive could fail at any time I always ensure I have two copies of any data important to me.

However I do think it's a poor choice for the caddy which should be easily accessible without voiding the warranty.

Ebuyer are selling esata enclosures for under 20 quid which I've been considering as a backup for the main desktop with a 1.5TB drive.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.

Return to “Reviews”