Mobile Phone

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Mobile Phone

Postby Replicant » 11 Sep 2019, 16:43

OK so I have had the iphone X for 2 years now and am thinking of jumping ship to either an S10 or Note10. Preferably not the + models.

I am a bit out of the loop on Android at the moment. Is there much of a difference between the two on a practical level? DO I gain much by having the stylus etc?
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Mobile Phone

Postby Johnmcl7 » 11 Sep 2019, 23:56

Bear in mind the two plus sizes are not the same size so the S10 is the smallest, the S10+ and Note 10 are a similar size and then the Note 10+ dwarfs them all. There's a few different ram differences depending on storage of each model and the other main differences I'm aware of is that the S10 and S10+ both have headphone jacks, the S10+ has a duel front selfie camera, the Note 10 lacks both microSD and a headphone jack plus no 5G option in the UK and the Note10+ also lacks a headphone jack but does have microSD plus there's a 5G option in the UK.

Samsung have really blurred the lines between the S and Note series which doesn't make much sense to me, the stylus is really the only differentiator although the Note 10+ means again there's a larger screen option. Some people swear by the stylus and given Samsung have removed almost every other feature of the Note over the last few years apart from the stylus which is physically large there must be a reasonable number of people using it. I'm on my third Note but I only find the Spen occasionally useful normally either to get a precise snip screenshot or to highlight something on the screen, rarely it's handy to sketch something but I could live without it. The main reason I chose the Note 8 over the S8+ wasn't so much the stylus but that the Note had a flatter screen with steeper edges on the side. I really hate the curved edge screens so having a bit less of them was worth it although the phone was a similar price and had more ram otherwise I'd have likely stuck with the S series.
Phalanx - liquid cooled i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz, 32GB ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/28TB HDD, dual blu-ray, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
Replicant

Mobile Phone

Postby Replicant » 12 Sep 2019, 13:41

Well Imy tak on it so far is
    NO - Note 10 as the standard version has an inferior screen and no microsd
    NO - Note10+ - it is just too damn big!
    Probable - S10 as it is very close to S10+ but can also get a free Watch (to keep or sell)
    Possible - S10+ same as S10 with a few enhancements
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Mobile Phone

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Sep 2019, 01:18

The lower resolution of the Note10 screen is a plus for me as it's what the Note8 runs at by default and I didn't find running a higher resolution beneficial on such a small screen so would prefer to run it native at that screen. No sd would be a deal breaker although personally wouldn't consider any of the S10 or Note 10 series, I don't understand why they've scrapped every feature that was a unique advantage for them to male almost identical handsets to everyone else.
Phalanx - liquid cooled i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz, 32GB ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/28TB HDD, dual blu-ray, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Mobile Phone

Postby se99paj » 20 Sep 2019, 08:28

I'm a big fan of Android and never considered iPhone, for personal use I've always stuck with phones using close to stock Android. I was given a Samsung phone for work and hated it, lots of Samsung specific apps that I don't think you can remove. Also I really didn't like the UI on Samsung, just felt a bit more basic than my Pixel.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Mobile Phone

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Sep 2019, 21:20

se99paj wrote:Source of the post I'm a big fan of Android and never considered iPhone, for personal use I've always stuck with phones using close to stock Android. I was given a Samsung phone for work and hated it, lots of Samsung specific apps that I don't think you can remove. Also I really didn't like the UI on Samsung, just felt a bit more basic than my Pixel.

I have a Note 8 and find Samsung have hugely backed down on adding their own apps (if you uninstall an app you can usually disable it instead) and you don't need to run Samsung's launcher, you can install your own so you can customise it as you want. I use Nova launcher myself as I like running a smaller scaled interface and find the Samsung launcher doesn't make good use of the screen space and Nova can have its configuration backed up. That said I understand what you mean as I'm coming from the opposite side since I'm familiar with Samsung, different Android phones can be off putting as much of the same is the same yet other parts are different. What I mostly like about Android though is you can usually get it working the way you want.

I decided since Samsung isn't going the way I want (nor is anyone else at the moment) I should snap up a Note 9 before they're gone but a bit annoyed with myself as after some great deals a couple of months ago, they seem to have largely dried up now and are either silly prices, not in stock or 'refurbished' which is a term I hate because it can mean anything from as new to shabby second hand. I've been a bit of an impulsive idiot and bought one off ebay which was claimed to be as new and was a good price with the discount voucher but now seen some HUKD threads on them and seems they're not as new at all. I should know better but will see what happens, I've asked them to cancel but no word back.

Return to “Other Technology”