Edge 520 or Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 07 May 2017, 09:15

Well since the majority of my knee troubles are over I have began to get out on my bike again.

I still rely on my iPhone 7 and Strava for tracking at the moment and have begun looking at getting something more specific. I have narrowed my choices down to the Garmin Edge 520 or the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt.

I know John has some experience with the 520. However, I am looking to see if anyone has any experience in using the Bolt at all and can compare the two.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 May 2017, 01:16

There's not much user information out there on the Wahoo in terms of discussions on cycling forums and similar compared to the Garmins but the few user comments from Garmin owners who have changed to the Bolt are extremely favourable. The design of the Wahoo looks a lot more modern, the display layout looks prettier, I like the soft key design (I prefer having physical buttons but the Edge 520's interface is odd) and the smartphone setup on the Bolt sounds slick. The separate LEDs seem a neat idea as well though I haven't used a Bolt so I'm just going by the information I've read.

One of the main reasons I chose the Edge 520 was simply for the compatibility with the rear view radar system (no use for the MTB) and it's a well rated solid little device. I tend not to find the cycle computer that useful on the mountain bike aside from when racing or doing an endurance run where it's useful to keep an eye on the distance, speed and climbs so I can pace myself properly.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 24 May 2017, 12:55

It has been hard to get a decent comparison without having a play on it.

I like the Edge 520 but the Wahoo guys seem like they are going all out to make users happy. The one plus in favour of the Edge is that it is colour whereas the Bolt is B&W.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 May 2017, 01:16

I had to think for a moment whether the 520 did have a colour screen or not but you're right, it does have one but I don't really notice it. The main screen I use simply shows all the data fields in black and white and I rarely use the 520 for navigation as its screen is small and low resolution which makes it less than ideal for that purpose.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well

Return to “Other Technology”