The connected home...

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

The connected home...

Postby jurassicjim » 21 Apr 2017, 09:05

So, wondering if people are jumping on the bandwagon if so, how you getting on and what do you have?!

I'm going to buy a Google Home today, didn't get on with the Alexa, so hopefully this is better.

Got quite a few Hue lights, Nest and Sonos so getting there.

Just got a WIFI and energy monitoring plug on a deal on Amazon. It's quite cool I suppose, but not really found a use for it yet...

j
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

The connected home...

Postby EviL Ras » 21 Apr 2017, 10:12

Just got an alexa that my dad bought me. its useful but not 100% required. Google home is better i think for questions, but alexa is good for the amazon eco system and playing music if you have prime.

Not invested in the hue, nest or harmony systems yet. waiting til next year when cash is better!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Replicant

The connected home...

Postby Replicant » 21 Apr 2017, 10:48

I have Alexa in the bedroom which works as an awesome clock radio and is also used to control the Phillips Hue lights.

I haven't bothered to expand upon this though.
Y.N.W.A.
matt
Cake
Cake

The connected home...

Postby matt » 21 Apr 2017, 13:44

I have a couple of sonos speakers and the hive app connected to the heating. Pay for spotify, not prime so no idea how more connected I need to be.

I like the idea of some app based mood lighting but a luxury way down the priority list at the mo...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

The connected home...

Postby EviL Ras » 21 Apr 2017, 14:11

yeah, seen youtubers using spotify on their alexa devices. Then having hue lights EVERYWHERE. so they set up a theme and just ask alexa to set it and it does! Cue funky youtube blue and green LED lighting.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim

The connected home...

Postby jurassicjim » 21 Apr 2017, 14:12

EviL Ras wrote:but alexa is good for the amazon eco system and playing music if you have prime.

Think this was my problem as there isn't much of an ecosystem for amazon. Despite having prime I have use the music streaming (though I used prime video a lot) it a handful of times and not having Google search on it was frustrating. When it used to tell me to look at the app as it has searched Bing for me :roll:

j
scarbunny

The connected home...

Postby scarbunny » 21 Apr 2017, 16:03

I've got a couple of bits, the Hue Starter Kit and Sonos to the 3 main rooms of my house. I'm planning on getting more once I have worked out what I want to be able to do, and once the garden is sorted as that seems to be the priority at the minute.

I have the Hue set up in 2 bedside lamps which set to gradually come on to wake me up, although it seems to be more just turning on than fading in so might need to look at settings, and then turning them off 5 minutes before I leave the house. I'm looking at getting the motion sensor to act as a night light but I'm not sure its worth it. Also all set up with Home Kit with my Apple TV working as a hub so can be controlled when I'm out of the house, handy but not essential. Looking at getting some strip lights and ambient lamps to try and get some better scenes going, maybe swap out the kitchen spots for Hue ones. Its a shame there are no light switches for replacing dumb switches to control main lights with designer bulbs, even if its just on off.

The Sonos is great currently set up as 5.1 in the living room with the Playbar and Sub, maybe not the best surround sound but no rear wires, and excellent music integration makes up for it in my book, and then a Play:1 in the bedroom and kitchen/dinner.

I'm probably going to pick up a Nest Thermostat, and possibly some Nest Protects eventually, just to make life a little easier. I've an Echo Dot on my wishlist for my birthday so may have one of them shortly as I hear they offer some better control over the Hue bulbs. I'm tempted to pick up the Smartthings starter kit as it has the smart socket which I had planned to use to automate a Lava Lamp, but seems like a waste of £140 when I can't think of a use for the other stuff.
Last edited by scarbunny on 03 May 2017, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

The connected home...

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Apr 2017, 01:52

I have an Amazon Echo Dot and I've been impressed with it as it's the first voice controlled device that I've liked using although it does help that almost all my digital music purchases are through Amazon. I've been toying with getting remote control lights and power to take it a bit further but I keep hitting the problem that I think I'd just end up using conventional switches and find the voice stuff a hassle.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
jurassicjim

The connected home...

Postby jurassicjim » 02 May 2017, 11:54

Yeah, I don't really use the voice control for lights with Google Home yet. But may get into the habit...

j
scarbunny

The connected home...

Postby scarbunny » 03 May 2017, 12:50

I got an Echo Dot, I have no idea what the point of it is?

The Hue integration doesn't seem to work properly, and I'm not really sure what else its good for?
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

The connected home...

Postby EviL Ras » 03 May 2017, 14:20

Its good for "alexa, whats the weather like today?", "alexa, ask tube status for the circle line", "alexa, set a timer for 15 minutes", "alexa, whats my flash briefing", "Alexa whats in my calendar for today/tomorrow", "alex, play creep by karen souza".

Otherwise, not sure!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny

The connected home...

Postby scarbunny » 04 May 2017, 16:05

Yeah I've used the timer a few times, but I find Siri tends to be a little more practical as its normally on my wrist now. Out of everything the flash briefing and weather seem most useful , because there is never anything in my calendar, even if I used public transport local info isn't (I assume) available and all my music goes through Sonos at the minute which isn't supported yet. I think I need to actively go out of my way to use it as I've not found a fit for it in my life yet, but it's only been 4 days so can't expect miracles.

The Hue starter kits are on sale at the minute so picked up a B22 set, will sell the hub as I don't need 2 so £80ish for 3 bulbs seems reasonable.
Replicant

The connected home...

Postby Replicant » 05 May 2017, 16:50

I find Siri far more useful for sending texts and short emails. ALexa is better for simple tasks and little else at the moment. In essence its £50 for a combined light switch and clock radio
Y.N.W.A.
jurassicjim

The connected home...

Postby jurassicjim » 06 May 2017, 19:51

I'm waiting for the Hue GU10s to go on sale, need 6 more in the short term, and kitting out the new kitchen and extension when they are done later in the year, then I'll be (hopefully) finished with Hue buying!

The WIFI plug and Google Home is actually quite good, I'm turning off my AV equipment all the time now instead of leaving in standby, which can only be a good thing.

j
iwt
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

The connected home...

Postby iwt » 06 May 2017, 22:43

Really caught the bug on this stuff :-)

Hue pretty much everywhere - just had some more installed, some bulbs, some installed spots and big light over the dining table. The more recent dimmer switch is brilliant and gives great control.

Got Hive for heating (and a couple of sockets), control 4 + sonos for music.

I got my dad an echo and he loves it - uses it with Spotify and some hive sockets.
Macbook

Return to “Other Technology”