BT Fibre/VDSL routers - what do you use?

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 Apr 2017, 17:25

I'm still on a BT Homehub5 as it mostly works fine and I can never make my mind up over a replacement, I'm not needing anything fancy just stable, wireless AC and works well with Xbox Ones (good Upnp support). My ADSL router was a Draytek 2710 which was a solid and reliable router but the only suitable router I can find from Draytek is the 2860AC which is pricey and paying a lot of money for features I'm not going to be using. There's quite a few other choices of router but they all seem to get mixed reviews, I don't mind forking out for a more expensive router if it does what I need particularly as I could be keeping it for a while

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby jurassicjim » 10 Apr 2017, 21:49

Thought about the Google WIFI John?

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Apr 2017, 01:09

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post Thought about the Google WIFI John?

j

The only Google router I can find is the Onhub which doesn't support VDSL, doesn't seem to be for sale in the UK and doesn't even have its own switch.

John
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 13 Apr 2017, 14:39

I've been using a Fritz!Box that came from my ISP about 5 years ago which seems to work fine still.

I am tempted to get some sort of mesh network setup as we struggle with WiFi strength anywhere but the living room. The BT Whole Home system is currently a third of down to £200 which is tempting, and I could then just use the router as a modem/switch, I've struggled in the past to find standalone VDSL modems.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 15 Apr 2017, 00:07

I had a friend with a Fritzbox he was using with BT fibre but he wasn't that keen on it as he found it quite fiddly to get it working as he wanted. He's changed to a £450 Netgear after the previous router drowned which is working fine but definitely a bit pricey for me.

The wifi in the house isn't bad but the BT router is noticeably worse than the older Draytek so it would be good to get a bit more range back and also I'd pay more to get better wireless speed.

John
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 17 Apr 2017, 18:53

I use my Homehub 6 which seems to work very well
Y.N.W.A.
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 19 Apr 2017, 08:50

Using the old white openreach modem (used it for 6 years since I have infinity at this property) and tplink ac1750 router for over one year and works well for me with quite a few pcs, 2 phones and 4 ipads
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 19 Apr 2017, 23:29

My BT hub. Think it's a 6.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Apr 2017, 17:35

I found this useful list of VDSL routers, what chipset they use and a brief summary:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0

I've decided to go for a Netgear D7000 as it seems fairly solid and works well with the Xboxes.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 26 Apr 2017, 01:35

I've got the D7000 setup, all the wireless devices changed over, static addresses set up etc. and found it's doing the same as the BT router, it lasted a bit longer but dropped the WAN connection after around 16 hours. It's currently ticking up to 17 hours and I've set up a syslog server to monitor it, BT line tests are coming up fine although I find they usually do even when the line is more obviously faulty. Despite the three beefy aerials vs none on the smarthub, the wireless range doesn't seem any better although the speeds look better which I'm surprised by as the old Draytek router I had offered better reception than either and its aerials weren't that big although perhaps range is better on older wireless standards.

On the other hand, in use it's generally stable and the upload speed is still good which makes a huge difference.

John

Return to “Other Technology”