Battle of the drones - GoPro Karma vs DJI Mavic Pro

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 May 2017, 00:24

As with most technology these days this was not a well kept secret although it's a lot more advanced than I thought particularly the forward and downward avoidance sensors. It obviously has an impressively high level of automation and I'm curious to see how that works with a more mainstream audience, the Mavic's automation is eerily good although I've not quite reached the point i really trust it with such an expensive device. If I didn't have the Mavic, I'd have definitely been interested in the Spark as it looks a very capable device and a good bit cheaper than the Mavic which would be cheaper to find if I'd like a drone and also a slightly smaller loss if it crashed.

As it stands now given the choice between the Spark and Mavic I'd probably stump up for the Mavic as I've used it a lot more than expected and it's a good bit more capable than the Spark particularly in its runtime.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 30 May 2017, 09:30

Yeah, the mavic goes to 40mph, instead of 31mph. Its 4k Vs 1080p. With 3 gimbal vs 2 axis gimbal. And has a flight time of 27 mins vs 16 mins.

So the mavic is still the king. But the USP of the spark is its size. its genuinely pocket sized. and the gesture is lovely, tho i bet mavic gets it in the future.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 Jun 2017, 15:58

I'm not sure about usable the size of the Spark is as the problem is it doesn't fold down so while it's lighter and smaller than the Mavic, the Mavic doesn't just fold down to a narrower width (it's still longer, deeper and heavier) but it's a more practical shape as it effectivey becomes a box shape with straight sides. This means it slides conveniently into pockets or lens slots where the Spark clearly won't as the fixed prop arms make for an odd shape. Then again perhaps there will be carry cases that suit the design better as I've just been using camera cases for the Mavic which work well and are compact.

Flight time is a big one as with drones it's a bit different to other battery powered devices as you obviously need power to get the drone home, I rarely run the Mavic under 40% to make sure if there's any problems I've got some leeway to get it down as I've seen a few crashes caused by people returning to home way too late and then the Mavic crash landing as it's dropped low enough to reach the auto landing stage which can't be cancelled.

I hadn't realised there's no controller shipped with the Spark either, that's an optional extra which makes it quite pricey as certainly with the Mavic there's no way I'd want to be flying it without the controller.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 01 Jun 2017, 16:50

Many many youtubers are using it over the mavic now. As it fits in a pocket. literally just pops in there! Yes its not as a small footprint, but its small!

Yes, they all want the remote too. And as they all say, the spark is perfect for that quick close drone flight for b roll on their videos. But they roll out the Phantom or mavic for the longer/further flights.

So it has a place, albeit not in your world!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Jun 2017, 00:24

I would guess the preference comes from the quicker setup, while the Mavic can fly without the controller it seems flaky in wifi mode (with the controller the Mavic needs almost double the space) plus the Mavic is slow to set up as it needs its four arms unfolded, the the camera bubble removed then the gimble clamp whereas the Spark looks like you could just take it out, power it on and it's away.

I'm relieved the Spark wasn't out with when the Mavic was as I would have struggled to make a decision, my first thought was the Spark was more what I was looking for but now looking at both I'm not at all sure.

John

Return to “Other Technology”