Battle of the drones - GoPro Karma vs DJI Mavic Pro

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Sep 2016, 22:28

GoPro have finally announced their Karma drone:

https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/karma

Feature wise it's unexceptional as it doesn't have the subject tracking features I think were rumoured at one point that would allow it to track a cyclist or runner nor does it have any collision avoidance sensors either. Its selling point is its folding, durable body and the completeness of the kit - it comes with a backpack and its controller has a builtin screen rather than relying on a phone. Its stabilisation gimbal can be removed from the drone and can be used handheld or attached to Gopro mounts unlike DJI where their Osmo gimbal is a fairly pricey and separate product. Also you can use your existing Gopro camera rather than having to buy another camera specific to the drone.

The gimbal and compatibility with existing cameras was a big plus until I found it works with the new GoPro5 Black, the GoPro5 Session and the GoPro 4 Black/Silver...I have a GoPro3 Black and two GoPro4 Sessions :(

DJI have announced the new Mavic Pro which looks incredible:

http://www.dji.com/mavic

It keeps most of the features of the Phantom 4 including the camera and avoidance sensor systems but it folds down into a very compact package.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 27 Sep 2016, 22:55

I thought the karma was awesome. Easy to fly, with that cool little controller. And detachable gimbal looks amazing!

But I just saw the mavic earlier. Wow! Small, fast at 40mph 27m flight time, and a tiny remote!

It'll be a tough choice for people! But I reckon I'd get the mavic!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 28 Sep 2016, 00:35

I'm really split between them, the fact the Karma's camera and gimbal off the drone is a big plus for me otherwise it would easily be the Mavic. One big concern I have with the Karma is that its their first product and I got stung badly by the GoPro3 Black which was not fit for release whereas the Mavic should be very mature.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 28 Sep 2016, 10:37

The gopro Karma

The DJI Mavic

The Gopro has it nailed with that removable gimbal. But the size of the Mavic is a show stopper! Theres already images of it in a normal camera bag along side a DSLR and a lens!

I mean, thats crazy! 27 min flight time, 700g weight, 40mph top speed, can fly in 24-27mph wind, has gesture controls, and can be flown short range with a smarty phone, or upto 7.5km with the controller. And still has the benefit of DJI's mature drone features of avoidance and things.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 28 Sep 2016, 14:26

Actually, a thought. This is the Mavic PRO. PRO. And at £999 its still pricey for the average consumer.

But what if they release a Mavic. Just a plain Mavic. Maybe with a 1080p camera, smaller battery, weaker motors so it flies in lower wind. Maybe a less powerful controller for a 2km range. Maybe they could get it into the £699 range?

Who knows. But its a great time to be looking for drones!

Alas, illegal to fly in london. So I wont be getting one as there's nowhere i could fly it without driving out of london!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 29 Sep 2016, 00:27

Not just London, it's illegal in any built up area which is an issue with the Mavik for me - its collision avoidance systems will be more useful in a built up area whereas I'd be using it in the countryside in wide open areas which I think I'd plan to do anyway. From the sample footage so far, the GoPro seems to have the advantage in IQ as well.

On the other hand though what surprised me about the Phantom was how fun it was to fly as I thought the point was more about the photography, the automated control systems that make the drone do what you wanted (such as taking off vertically when you told it to even if it had to tilt into the wind to balance itself) made it very easy to pick up and start doing more complex maneuvers. On that front, the DJI looks a lot better.

At the moment I'm hoping the Karma turns out to be rubbish in reality or it gets a price drop to make the decision easier.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 29 Sep 2016, 09:48

funilly enough, this has started to pop up on a friends facebok wall as he's a local:

https://www.facebook.com/bicesterfromabove/?pnref=story

another friend has just bought the DJI phantom as he said going cheaper was not cost effective - I guess similar to what you're finding in regards to functions and ease of use.

definitely gets a cool tech award, but I'd never get the use out of it myself.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 Oct 2016, 00:41

My friend's one is one of the original Phantoms I think, it came before the Phantom 2. I was surprised how good it was given its low cost as it was only around £350 at the time including a camera although a fairly basic one. One of the problems I have with investing in a drone is that although they offer a high degree of automation and vastly easier, there's still that risk that I could smack it into something and break it on the first go. Or worse yet, the automation features could kill it - I've seen a video where the DJI Inspire took off (that's the pricey £2,500 one) and for some reason got confused, ignored all controls and flew sideways at full speed straight into a metal garage door with enough force to dent it and destroying itself in the process. My friend has a close call with his one at a holiday home where it took off around trees and was flying fine but it also got confused and for some reason activated the go home function but didn't maintain its height, it missed the trees but hit the roof which is cartwheeled down and crashlanded on a shed roof. Thankfully it survived it but that's the sort of stuff that scares me although I'd plan to keep it in open air as much as possible.

I like the the look of the Karma body as it looks quite durable and I also like the fact again the camera is a separate part of the drone so if you do trash the body it's easy to get a replacement body and keep the camera.

Of course you could argue with the Mavic Pro's sensor suite should significantly reduce the chance of any impact or crash damage although I'd be concerned how well it's more complex body would survive an impact if it did happen.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Oct 2016, 20:32

I've been reading up and watching videos on the Mavic and Karma and strongly leaning towards the Karma at the moment, the Mavic is clearly a much better drone but the Karma looks solid and seems a great package for using parts elsewhere. £1000 gets you the drone, the GoPro 5 (which I'm wanting anyway and is £70 off compared to buying separately), the gimbal which seems superb, decent backpack (with a gopro mount you can attach the gimbal and camera to) and a two year warranty which includes accidental damage.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 19 Oct 2016, 21:24

Personally I'd go with the mavic as it's so damn small!! I could put it in my camera bag instead of the 70-200mm. And having that portability just makes it a winner!

That said, as a biker, the removable gimbal is perfect for you! So although I'd worry about the karma being very new without the mature software of the mavic, I'm sure you'd get some epic shots!

Although casey neistat did his take on the new notebook drone.

LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Oct 2016, 21:43

I saw one of that guy's Youtube videos on the Mavic and didn't watch any more, aside from being extremely annoying he had a huge intro which had nothing to do with the drone at all. I can't fathom why he'd get a sample first but then I'm of the older generation that prefer simple, factual videos which seem out of fashion these days.

A lot of it is Fodder's fault as he's been quite persuasive on the merits of the GoPro5, I was initially keen on the Karma then went off it when I couldn't use my GoPro's with it and wasn't fussed about getting a GoPro5 because I thought it had a sealed battery but now I've found it does have a changeable battery that's pushed me back towards the Karma. I like the size and design of the Sessions but for longer riders the lack of replaceable battery is an issue.

Although the Mavic is small, it's not small enough that I could carry it with me any easier than the Karma - there's no room for it in my camera bag nor would it fit in the backpack I cycle with so I don't think I'd take the Mavic anywhere I wouldn't take the Karma. Also the Mavic works out at almost double the price and DJI support is appalling (which is concerning when it's so expensive), GoPro seemed to have designed the Karma to be durable so it comes with extra parts and a two year warranty covering accidental damage is pretty good.

The immaturity of the Karma concerns me but it's relatively basic as it has very few automation features and DCR has had a shot of the Karma and found it worked well, he's generally pretty trustworthy whereas I find a lot of the professional reviewers aren't.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 19 Oct 2016, 22:40

Casey neistat makes daily vlogs. He just fits these into his vlogs. I watch him every day now.

I thought the mavic and karma both came out at £1000?

Well, $1049 for karma with hero black 5, and $999 for the mavic with controller.
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Oct 2016, 00:12

I don't know how you can do it, I barely managed 30 seconds before I'd had enough of him - I'm just not interested in what he does to prepare for going out in the morning or how his child goes to school.

The Mavic and Karma/GoPro5 are both £1000 but with the Mavic you only get the drone whereas the GoPro gets you a £350 camera and £250 gimble plus a backpack and LCD controller so clearly you're paying much less for the drone compared to the Mavic which is reflected in their capabilities. If I wanted to buy the Mavic it would cost me £1000 for the drone, £350 for the GoPro 5 and another £250 so it ends up a lot more expensive.

Most discussions favour the Mavic and almost entirely ignore the Karma but the I guess most drone people are only interested in the drone itself and not for other uses as I am.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 20 Oct 2016, 08:31

With the modular nature of the karma I can see how it would elevate people's video production. But for me I'd want a gimbal for my a6000 to get crispier footage than the go pro can manage. Yes it's more expensive, but for my needs the mavic would be perfect for running and gunning. Twin that with an a6000 with 16-70mm f4 zeiss lens, a dslr gimbal, and the new edelkrone wing slider and you've got a killer package!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Oct 2016, 13:04

It's not so much it would elevate my video production, it's just that for £1000 you get a very flexible package which is great value for money. The package you mention isn't just far more expensive but it's for a completely different purpose, the advantage of the GoPro cameras is that they're small, light and durable which means it can be fitted places the Sony cannot plus the reason for wanting a gimbal is not produce high quality professional footage but just to make fast footage when running or cycling more usable. More simply though, when the drone isn't in use I can still make good use of the camera and been planning buying one anyway which is over a third of the cost of the drone on its own and if I did decide I wanted a fancier drone, the camera and gimbal are still useful whereas on DJI models those are both stuck with the drone.

John

Return to “Other Technology”