Anyone here using USB-C?

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Sep 2016, 18:28

I've just bought a Latitude 11 which is my first USB-C powered device and its main purpose is a spare PC at work so I'm thinking having a charger there will be handy however with it being USB-C, I'm wondering if I should look into something that can quick charge the phone as well as power the tablet particularly as the Note 4's replacement will likely be USB-C. At the moment I've been using Aukey so I'm wondering if there's something similar although I'm wary of the dire warnings about only using official Dell supplies when I know there's been issues with USB-C products not meeting spec in the states and damaging the devices.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby EviL Ras » 13 Sep 2016, 21:52

I favour anker for all my charging needs. And surely as USB-C is now a standard, any charger should work?
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Sep 2016, 23:18

Although USB-C is a standard, a lot of companies don't seem to be following the standard correctly:

http://gizmodo.com/a-google-engineer-is ... 1742719818

Also HP for example only support their own USB-C chargers:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3017182/ ... dream.html

I've looked at Anker who have this product:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Premium- ... op?ie=UTF8

The first catch is that it doesn't support QC, if you want QC you need an alternate product which surprise, surprise doesn't support USB-C :( The reviews are mixed for USB-C charging for higher power devices like the Core-m powered Latitude 11 as well, it seems you can't just use a normal USB port with a USB-C cable if you want to charge at the correct rate.

The more I read, the more I'm thinking it's probably easier just to go with a Dell charger as it's a lot cheaper than the Anker which doesn't do QC anyway.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby robbo » 13 Sep 2016, 23:40

Before I bought my anker usb charger I looked into the USB-c and QC options as well for future proofing but ran into the same "it doesn't do both" so just plumped for a standaed usb port.

And no, never used USB-c.
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby Tappy » 14 Sep 2016, 09:26

My Windows 10 Mobile is USB-C, and yeah, I am wary about using non-official chargers. I only have one charger, which I use in work, but I have lots of Wireless chargers at home and I figure I'm more likely to need a quick charge in work.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
jurassicjim

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby jurassicjim » 14 Sep 2016, 11:26

You could potentially buy the products from the Google Play store. I have a few as I got the Nexus 6p. Needless to say they all work perfectly, feel very well built and great returns service and policy with Google.

https://store.google.com/collection/accessories

j
Tappy

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby Tappy » 15 Sep 2016, 09:21

Ooo, Mrs T has just bought a Nexus, so she must have a USB-C. That's useful, we can share chargers again.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
matt
Cake
Cake

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby matt » 15 Sep 2016, 09:56

what's USB-C, is it like a cheap version of lightning?
jurassicjim

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby jurassicjim » 15 Sep 2016, 10:33

matt wrote:Source of the post USB-C

Just a better version of lightning. I wish Apple would ditch the lightning port.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 Sep 2016, 19:41

Aside from the Google stuff being pricier than the Dell kit, it doesn't support QC - it seems USB-C and QC are mutually exclusive.

John
jurassicjim

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby jurassicjim » 19 Sep 2016, 09:10

i get quick charging on my phone with the Google chargers. Are there a couple of standards of it?

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Sep 2016, 14:46

QC is a Qualcomm standard which came before USB-C.

John
jurassicjim

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby jurassicjim » 20 Sep 2016, 10:04

So is all USB C technically quick charge?

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Sep 2016, 18:42

No, USB-C is technically just the connector so it can be USB2 spec. Even USB 3.1 with a type-C connector doesn't guarantee anything as there's different power levels and capabilities that can be handled on the port.

John
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Anyone here using USB-C?

Postby steffcip » 21 Sep 2016, 11:28

I have 1+3 with usb-c
and using an aukey with QC 5 port charger and charges pretty fast
1+3 specs says: Dash Charge (5V 4A)

Return to “Other Technology”