Kindle Paperwhite vs Kindle Oasis

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Jun 2016, 13:57

I'm not sure if anyone here uses a Kindle but would appreciate any thoughts on the current Paperwhite vs the Oasis which my Mum is currently considering, she has one of the original keyboard Kindles but the slots for the case are too loose now and the light feature doesn't work. As it's her birthday I've suggested a new backlit Kindle, the Paperwhite is currently around £90 and the Voyage is £135 - on the face of it, there isn't much difference as the Paperwhite now has the same higher resolution screen as the Voyage (it seems it didn't before) so the Voyage only offers haptic page turn buttons and an adaptive backlight system. However I appreciate small differences on paper can mean much bigger differences in reality.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 12 Jun 2016, 19:30

We love our paperwhites! And certainly dont see the need to upgrade from this.

The voyage seems to be thinner with page turn buttons.
The oasis is £269 but has that uber battery.

tbh, i'd stick with the paperwhite! Bang for buck!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Jun 2016, 19:41

The Oasis definitely isn't in for consideration, I was going to go for the Voyage for the better screen (higher contrast, less glare, flush screen) and adaptive backlight but frustratingly there weren't any in town to see just Paperwhites. I've hit a further snag in that the Voyage uses a similar Origami case design that the Fires use and makes less sense given you're less likely to want to stand an e-book reader on its own and my Mum doesn't like the look of those cases, the unofficial ones look ok but nothing special. On the other hand there's a nice official case for the Paperwhite.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 12 Jun 2016, 22:50

We have the official cases for the paperwhites. They're very nice. But do double the thickness of the device! To be fair, that's the same with my galaxy tab s2 tho! Always feels nicer outside the case too! But nice to know its protected well!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Jun 2016, 00:14

I opted for the Paperwhite in the end mainly down to the official case which as you say adds a good chunk of size and weight but it does feel good and the e-reader itself is pretty small and light anyway. She seems fine with it and no complaints over the page turning system, she's very good at being open to new things and taking advantage of something that might be better - after a couple of days she's said she prefers the touch screen turning over the page buttons as she just needs to tap somewhere within the large area rather than having to press a small specific button. Another bonus is that the 20% discount did end and it's back up to full price so just seemed to be discounted in time for her birthday.

John

Return to “Other Technology”