Windows 10 Problems - Complete Failure

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby se99paj » 06 Jun 2016, 13:18

So I've been having a few problems with my PC and thought I'd see if the collective had any ideas on what the problem might be.

I did some upgrades to my PC about 6 months ago, buying a new CPU/Mobo/Memory and a new SDD drive so that I could install a fresh copy of Windows 10. Its been running pretty smoothly for months until yesterday. My PC started crashing with a BSOD (Haven't seen one of them in ages!) this happened a few times so I tried to use the recovery options, ultimately this led to me doing the Windows 10 reinstall.

After the reinstall I seemed to have no problems for a few hours, until it crashed again last night, no BSOD this time the screen froze.
I restarted the PC and had an error message about "Overclock Failed" which seemed odd as I hadn't overclocked the CPU.
I restarted again and managed to get into the BIOS, but after a few moments the screen went fuzzy and crashed.
To try and narrow down the problem I unplugged all the drives and removed the dedicated graphics card, used the on-board graphics instead. This created an error "Your pc device needs to be repaired a component of the operating system has expired".

Initially I thought this meant a component of the PC had failed, but a quick search seems to find this error message is due to the OS expiring, but everywhere I look this only affects the Technical Preview not an upgraded version of Windows 10.

Thought I'd share my options:

1.) Keep the components as they are but reinstall Windows, I'll need to install Windows 8 then upgrade to Windows 10 (Unless I can find the recovery drive!) - This might get me back up and running but won't necessarily solve the problem that kicked this off in the first place.
2.) Go back to my old components and reinstall Windows 8 then upgrade to 10, I can then get the components sent back under warranty.
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 06 Jun 2016, 13:40

I am a bit out of touch with how the current BIOS workings operate. I thought though that if it was failing whilst in the BIOS then it would be a hardware problem as the BIOS hasn't 'handed off' to the OS at that point.
Y.N.W.A.
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby se99paj » 07 Jun 2016, 11:51

May have been a bit quick to blame the mobo/cpu/memory, I decided to try and install Windows 8 on another HDD last night, I completely unplugged the SSD so I didn't install on that by mistake.

I managed to get Windows installed without any problems and started downloading updates, waiting for the Windows 10 update to appear.

As everything was working I thought I would plug in the SSD and run some diagnostics, as soon as I plugged in the SSD and rebooted the PC wouldn't get to BIOS, it just ran through very short power cycles, I had to clear the CMOS and disconnect the SSD before it would boot again.

Think I might leave the SSD unplugged until I get Windows 10 installed and then see if I have any problems.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 07 Jun 2016, 12:49

The "Your pc device needs to be repaired a component of the operating system has expired" could have been a result of the SSD failing and unable to access certain files (or something like that).

I can't remember if I mentioned it on here, but I had the fan fail on my PSU and it took me almost a year to figure out that was the issue. That was after new hard drives (SSD and M.2), new motherboard, new memory, new processor and a new cooling fan for the CPU! D'oh!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2

Return to “Other Technology”