fitness band or apple watch

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 23 Apr 2016, 09:34

Hi,

apple watch is an obvious option as i'm partial to an apple or two, but what are my other options?

key thing I want is:
to track daily activity (number of steps etc)- paired with some type of app
strava pairing? I like this app for cycling
heart rate monitor

Just tried getting back on the bike and managed 2k before wanting to vom/pass out so I need to step change my fitness regime.

Thanks, Matt.
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 23 Apr 2016, 10:32

Considered an Apple watch myself. Being put off by the high price and possibility of a new one in the not too distant future.

For fitness, isnt the Band 2 the best and most accurate? Can be used independently of phone and has GPS. Not sure of its styling though.
Y.N.W.A.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 23 Apr 2016, 11:01

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... .326158600

this one? Thats apple money.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Apple_Watch

ideally trying to get back on my bike now so it's annoying it could be a september refresh...
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 24 Apr 2016, 23:00

Yep, that's the Ms band 2. Not sure when they refreshed it but heard good things about it but only online, never seen one. Seen lots of apple watches with some using it for fitness tracking. See loads of step counters but don't know what make - they all look very similar.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 25 Apr 2016, 12:33

The MS Band 2 is GPS enabled and you do not need your phone with you for it to work. The iWatch (which sounds like a perv channel name) is the opposite of this. I have seen a fair few of the Apples about though. None of the people I know are using them for fitness tracking.
Y.N.W.A.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 25 Apr 2016, 13:17

I have a friend with both. Well, the Band not Band 2, but the new one just made it good looking and added a barometer afaik. I shall ask him his thoughts between them on the fitness front. But yes, every review I've read on fitness bands has the Band 2 topping the chart, but you pay for that rating. The Band 2 is often reduced to £150 on the MS site btw, don't pay £200 for it.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 25 Apr 2016, 13:25

How about Garmin?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/sports- ... 37024.html

I used to love mine back in the day! But this new one does cycling, running, swimming, notifications, GPS, heart rate. Looks decent if you want a hard core fitness watch.

Remember, Apple is pretty much just a HRM with a fancy screen. Even my pebble does step counting but its waterproof to 30M!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Apr 2016, 14:49

The 920XT is pretty big and expensive plus the Garmin stuff doesn't tend to work reliably with IOS, I have a Vivoactive (similar to the 920XT but less features, same Connect IQ core) and there's frequent reports of BT instability on the Garmin forums. I'm a big fan of the Vivoactive which I think has a good mix of fitness and smartphone functionality but it was irritating when my phone and it were misbehaving.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 25 Apr 2016, 16:47

Tappy

Postby Tappy » 25 Apr 2016, 19:08

Reply from mate:
I wouldn’t use the Apple as a performance fitness device. You’ll get a rough idea of steps and basic activity. A buddy in work is a runner and has an Apple watch, but to track serious fitness he has a fitbit, so wears both. He says the apple watch is always out and the FitBit is, in his opinion based on what he’s doing, bang on.

He mentioned the Band 1 but said he only wore it for about a week and it didn't do what he wanted (he wanted more of a smart watch than a fitness band).
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby se99paj » 27 Apr 2016, 21:49

I had a look at these a few months back, quite liked the fitbit blaze and TomTom also released a nice watch.

In the end I wasn't convinced I'd be happy with any of them so decided to save the cash.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 28 Apr 2016, 15:28

Tappy wrote:The Band 2 is often reduced to £150 on the MS site btw, don't pay £200 for it.

The Band 2 is reduced to £150 on the MS site atm... It will be that price until 30th June. But I reckon you want an Apple Watch really.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 28 Apr 2016, 23:43

I do, but don't want to pay that much. Will keep an eye on it
whats the cheapest band that would track activity (9steps) and sync with health app?

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphon ... 6-3605284/

annoying, this would have done for now but only have the 5c :(

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Function-Light ... agenius-21
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 03 Jun 2016, 07:56

minor update, nikki's cousin bought us both a fit bit charge as a thank you for putting her up in the UK. Result!

Liking it so far and going to try and get out on the bike today but after reading this, looks like a lot of faff trying to get it to work
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/art ... HR-sensor-

will record my ride on my fit bit and strava app and see what happens.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 19 Aug 2016, 23:31

After doing a few walks round Scotland and north England it would have been interesting to see how many steps I'd taken, heart rate, distance covered etc. Suppose I should have just used the GPS tracking feature on my phone. Used it once on my x10 mini pro many moons ago.

Return to “Other Technology”