Online backups

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Online backups

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Apr 2016, 23:52

Now I've got a decent upload speed I can feasibly look into online backup services, Backblaze looks pretty good at $50 a year for unlimited backups (probably looking to back up around 3-4TB at the moment). I'm not bothered about being able to access the files anywhere, just that I could get them back if there was a disaster in my house and I lost everything.

Anyone use a similar service and if so, which one?

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Online backups

Postby EviL Ras » 20 Apr 2016, 07:57

I use amazon Web service glacier system. Got about a terrabyte on there for around £4 a month. My NAS backs up there everyweek for a 3-2-1 backup.

I suprised you're not setting up a NAS? I find that now I can access everything I'm enjoying diving through the old content! Pictures of me and the wife in hong kong 11 years ago that we're buried in back ups!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap

Online backups

Postby scarbunny » 20 Apr 2016, 09:48

I need to find a decent back up service for work, although it needs to be a service that sends out a drive for the initial backup as it would take about a year of constant upload on our connection. Plus my boss isn't too keen on services that has it's servers located outside of the UK. Might look into Amazon Glacier as they seem to have Ireland based servers.

For personal stuff I used Crashplan for a year, seemed to do the job, but all my photos are uploaded to iCloud and OneDrive (also Dropbox but that filled up a long time ago) and I have nothing else worth saving really.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Online backups

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Apr 2016, 11:29

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post I use amazon Web service glacier system. Got about a terrabyte on there for around £4 a month. My NAS backs up there everyweek for a 3-2-1 backup.

I suprised you're not setting up a NAS? I find that now I can access everything I'm enjoying diving through the old content! Pictures of me and the wife in hong kong 11 years ago that we're buried in back ups!

I have a NAS setup (a WHS v2011 microserver) which will be the one that does the online backing up since it's on all the time anyway and hosts the data, I do have offline USB backups as well but I'm thinking for the relatively low cost it would be worth having an entirely separate backup.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.

Return to “Other Technology”