Samsung Galaxy S7 announcement

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 21 Feb 2016, 18:14

Well, that time of year for the next galaxy to be announced. This time there's talk for a sony exmor camera sensor, with improved low light and built in image stabilisation. IP68 water and dust resistant, and an SD card slot.

Watch live here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R5HN6oWdC4

LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Feb 2016, 18:47

I'm disappointed LG have shrunk the G5 to go against the S7 rather than the Note series as I was hoping it would be my next phone since Samsung have dropped the ball with the Note series but there's no denying it's a pretty interesting phone in a market that's generally getting pretty stagnant:

http://phandroid.com/2016/02/21/hands-o ... cessories/

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 21 Feb 2016, 18:48

Well, the new S7 edge is supposed to be bigger. So we'll see in 12 mins!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Feb 2016, 19:20

I think it's possible given there was the S6 Edge plus and no Note 5 but I think it's unlikely we'll see a replaceable battery.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 21 Feb 2016, 19:48

3600Mah battery (1000 Mah bigger) Still internal.
30% faster CPU
60% faster GPU
f1.7 camera (smaller 12 megapixel as the pixels are bigger for low light)
Dual pixels for faster focussing.
Faster Wireless charging.
IP68 (under 1.5m water for 30 mins) without any port covers.
SD card slot (on the same SIM card slot).
New gaming hub.
Always on screen that takes advantage of the OLED tech for low power use.
New thermal spreader (sort of a 0.4mm water cooling.)
FREE GEAR VR headset if you preorder.
UK finally gets samsung pay

Also announced GEAR 360 camera. This sort of captures 360 video with just 2 cameras.
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Feb 2016, 20:48

The thermal spreader sounds a bit weird to have in a phone but will be interested to see how that looks, the S7 Edge also grows to 5.5in to sit between the normal S7 and Note series.

Edit - The thermal system they've got is a standard heatpipe system with a fancy name although first impressions of it from the tradeshow are that it's not that effective as it still ran hot similar to the Qualcomm 820. I didn't realise Samsung were now using their own cores to replace the Cortex A57 cores but still using the A53 cores for the lower powered part.

One interesting addition is the integration of a service called 'Whitepages' directly into the dialer which will mean the phone on incoming calls will try to identify the business for unknown numbers and flag those it thinks as spam. I'm impressed with BT's Call Guardian service they offer on their landlines, it's quite simple in that when a call comes in the phone doesn't ring and instead prompts the caller to announce their name and then the hash key at which point the phone rings and gives the option to accept the call, block it or send it to answerphone while numbers in the phonebook bypass the system entirely. Since putting it in the landline almost never rings and when it does, it's a genuine call - the prompt trips up the automated systems entirely and I suspect most cold callers know when they get the prompt there's no point going through as their call is going to be rejected. There is the occasional issue such as automated calls from the bank but I either disable the system when expecting a call like that or get it to go to another number.

John
Fodder
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Fodder » 23 Feb 2016, 14:55

The Nexus 5 does a similar thing to whitepages, shows who is calling if you don't have the number but it's public.

The S7 sounds excellent, except for the samsung bloatware. I can just about live with it on the S2 tablet but it would drive me nuts on a phone.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Feb 2016, 15:10

I just disable the Samsung stuff I don't like and replace the launcher, you can do both without root. With the Note 4 I had to do it as I run a different DPI which breaks all the Samsung apps including the launcher but actually I'm glad I had to as I had no idea how easy it was to have a custom launcher and it's fantastic as you can customise every aspect of it.

John
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 23 Feb 2016, 22:16

The beauty of Android. I always use the google launcher even though I am tempted by some of the other options like Go.

I have disabled the samsung apps on my Tab, but some are still showing on the apps screen and you can't use the full office suite without the samsung apps thing enabled. At least they left the ability to turn off app notifications in their build.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein

Return to “Other Technology”