Curved TV's?

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Curved TV's?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Oct 2015, 00:08

I think these look rather cool but as I was actually looking at real one in a store and trying to decide whether there's actually any benefit to it? I can maybe see the benefit on a large desktop monitor but I'm not so sure about a TV sitting further away.

Anyone here bought one?
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
csteff
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Curved TV's?

Postby csteff » 03 Oct 2015, 09:23

not yet, wanted too
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Curved TV's?

Postby Replicant » 03 Oct 2015, 10:47

Just another gimmick isnt it? Just like the 3D failure.
Y.N.W.A.
Fodder

Curved TV's?

Postby Fodder » 03 Oct 2015, 16:16

Mmm, not so sure. The curved Samsung I saw in John Lewis a while ago did seem nice to watch, then I saw a curved OLED from LG which made the samsung look like a budget effort from Lidl.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
jurassicjim

Curved TV's?

Postby jurassicjim » 03 Oct 2015, 18:49

I would def get one if I was in the market for a new TV. Seems nice in the showrooms.

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Curved TV's?

Postby robbo » 05 Oct 2015, 10:38

Do curved TVs need a more precise recommended viewing distance?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Curved TV's?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Oct 2015, 21:36

robbo wrote:Source of the post Do curved TVs need a more precise recommended viewing distance?

I don't know if it would need to be more precise but I'd have thought for the effect to work better you'd have to be closer or the panel bigger which I'm not keen on anyway as I find if the LCD TV is too large, the image quality suffers due to the low pixel density. It was a 40in one I was looking at among a variety of flat 40in panels and I was standing fairly close but in all honesty aside from the curved one looking quite cool physically I couldn't see any difference in image quality.

John
Tappy

Curved TV's?

Postby Tappy » 06 Oct 2015, 09:44

I looked into this for colleague a while ago... two years ago?! Have they been around that long? Anyway, I concluded the following:

The positives are that curved TVs are just better. Better viewing angles, less reflections, less distorted images, and no requirement to sit in the 'sweet spot'.

The negatives are that curved TVs are just worse. Worse viewing angles, more reflections, more distorted images, and a requirement to sit in the 'sweet spot'.

Hope that helps.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Fodder

Curved TV's?

Postby Fodder » 06 Oct 2015, 11:36

I don't think it is about the quality, they would probably be using the same panel. It is more about the 'immersiveness' of the viewing experience. something that is quite subjective. For instance, I find cinema 3D a waste of money and on balance detracts from the experience for me. However, my TV 3D I find adds to the experience quite nicely even though it is the passive system which is supposed to be the worst of the lot.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Curved TV's?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Oct 2015, 11:58

Tappy wrote:Source of the post I looked into this for colleague a while ago... two years ago?! Have they been around that long? Anyway, I concluded the following:

The positives are that curved TVs are just better. Better viewing angles, less reflections, less distorted images, and no requirement to sit in the 'sweet spot'.

The negatives are that curved TVs are just worse. Worse viewing angles, more reflections, more distorted images, and a requirement to sit in the 'sweet spot'.

Hope that helps.

That's pretty consistent with AV advice I find which often seems to be circular, don't buy brand X because it's terrible but brand Y is amazing and the one to buy followed by brand Y is appalling but brand Z is better in every way then inevitably brand Z is unusuable but brand X is superb in every way. In a way it makes me think user reviews aren't always good as I end up going in circles and buying the one I liked the look of first.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Curved TV's?

Postby matt » 06 Oct 2015, 17:00

not sure I'd want a curved TV wall mounted.

I'd go for:
1.size
2.size
3.PQ/Brand
4.smart features
5.how much money I can get past the boss
Tappy

Curved TV's?

Postby Tappy » 07 Oct 2015, 09:45

matt wrote:Source of the post not sure I'd want a curved TV wall mounted.

You would if you lived in a lighthouse. Or were in a certain room in the Whitehouse....
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2

Return to “Other Technology”