Smart Watches

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category

What Smartwatch interests you?

Pebble
No votes
Pebble (colour)
38%
Apple
13%
Sony WM3
No votes
LG G Watch
13%
Samsung Gear
13%
Moto 360
No votes
Other
25%

Total votes: 8
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Smart Watches

Postby Replicant » 13 Mar 2015, 14:16

So didn't appear to be much on here about these (apart from Ras's ramblings on the Pebble) so I decided to set up a thread all of its own.
Y.N.W.A.
jurassicjim

Re: Smart Watches

Postby jurassicjim » 13 Mar 2015, 16:35

Will wait until they get a bit better I think, better battery, heart rate monitor and GPS combo would be great.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Mar 2015, 17:30

Coincidentally I ended up ordering a Sony SWR50 today as it's more sports orientated rather than an every day watch which I fancy giving a go as I've a daily distance target thing that starts in a couple of weeks plus I'd like to experiment with Android Wear.

The two that properly interest me are the Pebble Colour and the Garmin Vivoactive as they both seem to have decent functionality, not too big and heavy plus crucially they have decent batterylife.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 13 Mar 2015, 17:44

I hit other as none really tickle my fancy at the moment.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Mar 2015, 16:25

The Sony arrived this morning but it will probably be going straight back, annoyingly it doesn't have packaging that can be easily opened and closed so I can't check it for sure but it looks quite a bit bigger than my current watch which is too big:

As I have a very small wrist the size and weight is a big issue for me although when I think more about the Sony watch it's probably a bad choice anyway as a wear everywhere watch.

I had a look in town to see if there were any watches I could see in person and the O2 shop had the curved Galaxy watch, a Moto 360 (both huge) and a standard Pebble which looked ok size wise. They didn't have a steel so I couldn't see what it was like but I didn't realise it's actually meant to be slightly smaller. The new pebble time is apparently smaller and slightly curved which is appealing along with the colour screen but that's still some time away so I'm tempted to pick up a Steel for now and see how I get on.

Or the other option I like is the Garmin Vivosmart which isn't so much a smartwatch as a fitness band with some smart functionality, it sounds very basic but I've read a few reviews that have said they've found it a lot more useful than expected and it can be had in a small size.

John
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 14 Mar 2015, 18:26

A patient of mine the other day had a fitbit on, he loves it. Very svelt too.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Mar 2015, 20:25

The Surge I take it? Detailed review here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/fitb ... eview.html

I hadn't looked into it before although seems similar to the Sony, it gets very mixed reviews from users.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Mar 2015, 21:04

I'm leaning towards the Garmin Vivoactive at the moment as it seems to be a bit smaller than the Sony and they're claiming three weeks batterylife which I'm sceptical of but if it can manage a week that would be good.

John
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 15 Mar 2015, 15:01

I would just like something decent that I can pair up with my Lumia 930. Alas no such luck at present. Although rumour has it Pebble (my preferred choice) are working on it.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 15 Mar 2015, 22:11

I thought Pebble had said they couldn't do Windows phone as they didn't have the access to the OS they needed? Could be talking rubbish, I only remember snippets from what Ras had said.

Is the Microsoft band any good? I've not seen anything of it bar the occasional reference since it was launched.

Edit :

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/14/pebb ... _truncated

John
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 16 Mar 2015, 16:13

I was leaning heavily towards none of these to start with, then the Apple Watched was announced and I still didn't care, then they announced the price and release date and I still didn't care.

Then I went to bed and woke up the following day wanting an Apple Watch. I don't understand, I have no use for one, I don't wear a watch, I barely use my phone beyond messaging the missus, and the rare phone call. So I have ignored the urge so far. But I can only assume that other Apple products are using the WiFi to reprogramme my mind.

I am tempted by a fitness tracker but it would need to be one with a heart rate monitor, I think, as all my exercise is gym based, and preferably waterproof.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 17 Mar 2015, 15:35

Pebble time steel.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 17 Mar 2015, 16:47

I see Microsoft Band will be available on April 15th in UK.
Y.N.W.A.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 18 Mar 2015, 00:14

I'll need to look into the Microsoft Band a little more to see if it would be of any use to me or just a nice new tech gimmick.

Re the Pebble for WP: http://www.windowscentral.com/hacked-pe ... dows-phone hacked pebble notifications for WP. (The Windows Central site search is atrocious! Had to use google for that. Maybe I should have used Bing...)
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 18 Mar 2015, 20:33

The Pebble has a third party app for BlackBerry 10 as well which I heard is very nice and functional
At the moment I am happy with the Gear 2 Neo connected to the Sam Alpha but I wanted at some point a Pebble steel for BlackBerry as the BlackBerry phone has the most activity

Return to “Other Technology”