Windows 10

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Windows 10

Postby steffcip » 11 Dec 2015, 20:04

Handy, i also have an icon to get rid of
robbo
100th member
100th member

Windows 10

Postby robbo » 11 Dec 2015, 22:46

I've installed it and it's taken away the icon, cleared the download folders, disabled OS upgrades... It's good.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Windows 10

Postby Johnmcl7 » 11 Dec 2015, 23:19

I assume it doesn't affect normal Windows patches?

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Windows 10

Postby robbo » 12 Dec 2015, 00:50

I'm pretty sure it hasn't done - optional updates are still showing but at the moment no important updates are available for me so either there aren't any or it has blocked some. The disable Windows Update OS upgrades option can be enabled or disabled within the program if you just want to delete GWX.

Have had a little look at the FAQ from the guy who made the program and it says this:

Disable/Enable Operating System Upgrades in Windows Update

If Windows is configured to allow Windows Update to automatically select the optional Upgrade to Windows 10 update, this button says "Disable..." and clicking it will restore Windows Update to its normal behavior.
If Windows is configured to behave normally (in other words, to only install important patches, rather than to upgrade the operating system), this button says "Enable..." and clicking it will allow Windows Update to select the Upgrade to Windows 10 update when it becomes available. (Note that Windows can do this even after you cancel your Windows 10 upgrade reservation.)

So it seems patches will still come through, just not the OS upgrade if you don't want it. http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/0 ... emove.html
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Windows 10

Postby Replicant » 12 Dec 2015, 06:09

Why such rage against W10?
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Windows 10

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Dec 2015, 13:02

Replicant wrote:Source of the post Why such rage against W10?

Aside from the fact I find it several steps back from Windows 8.1, I really dislike having an OS upgrade forced on me - if I want to upgrade Windows I will, I don't need constant nagging and 'accidentally' setting my machine to upgrade itself.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Windows 10

Postby robbo » 12 Dec 2015, 17:17

Replicant wrote:Source of the post Why such rage against W10?

In general I don't mind w10 - actually I quite like it. But on my Stream 7 tab w10 was super glitchy and hard work so went back to 8.1 (which I find nicer for touch on a tab for sofa use) and on my Sony laptop I've video card issues on anything but w7 which it came with.
Replicant

Windows 10

Postby Replicant » 12 Dec 2015, 18:52

The touch features were far better in 8.1 than 10 but other than that I prefer W10 as 8.1 always felt like it was incomplete. Especially the half arsed swapping between the old style desktop and Metro when using Office programs.

Not sure about constant nagging as haven't had any of this on my desktop which has remained on W7 for now.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Windows 10

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Dec 2015, 21:22

Replicant wrote:Source of the post The touch features were far better in 8.1 than 10 but other than that I prefer W10 as 8.1 always felt like it was incomplete. Especially the half arsed swapping between the old style desktop and Metro when using Office programs.

Not sure about constant nagging as haven't had any of this on my desktop which has remained on W7 for now.

Windows 10 feels a lot less complete to me as so much has been gutted out of it, I liked a lot of the features WIndows 8 added for power users but Microsoft have decided to double down and go for the every day users so we get stupid crap like not even being able to control windows update. There's also few, if any actual benefits over Windows 8.1 despite all the buzz around Windows 10. The nagging on my Windows 7 and 8.1 machines has been relentless, constant pop-ups telling me I can get Windows 10 to eventually starting to try to install Windows 10 itself which Microsoft claim was an 'accident'. Trying to stop the constant nagging is surprisingly challenging, even uninstalling the updates and disabling the update doesn't stop it getting back onto the system so eventually I had to create several registry keys to stop the damn thing coming back. I had planned to install Windows 10 on a laptop after reverting it on the tablet where it was useless but I've been so sick of having to clear up this GWX nonsense and Microsoft constantly ramming Windows 10 in my fact I've decided to stick as is.

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

Windows 10

Postby robbo » 13 Dec 2015, 12:21

OneDrive users can keep their 15GB free storage if they opt in before Jan 31.
http://www.windowscentral.com/onedrive- ... gb-storage
Tappy

Windows 10

Postby Tappy » 14 Dec 2015, 12:55

Don't like all this opt-in business.

Everything I'm seeing from Microsoft atm is all a bit too 'insider'. New beta Windows 10 Mobile updates, big hype around them, but all the norms languishing on WP 8.1 have no clue what is coming.

Transferred my music to OneDrive yesterday after I noticed that although Groove knows what albums I own, it can't stream all of them. I assume this is because the artist hasn't allowed their tracks to be part of the streaming service.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Windows 10

Postby robbo » 19 Dec 2015, 18:02

robbo wrote:
robbo wrote:Source of the post More for handy link storing for me than sharing info but another how to make sure w10 doesn't download/install article. Or in reverse to install w10 before a year is up. http://www.windowscentral.com/how-preve ... loading-pc

More bookmarking for me. Another update to block to not get the w10 update: http://www.windowscentral.com/update-wi ... ws-10-ease

kb3035583 is another one to disable. It's under important updates and not optional though.

For the GWX Stopper program: An update is in the works to disable the re-enable from MS for the W10 update.
http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/0 ... emove.html
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Windows 10

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Dec 2015, 00:51

As Robbo has said, MS have upped their game with the W10 upgrade again - rather irritated to get a prompt on startup today giving me the option to install W10 now or download now, install later with the I don't want W10 on this machine oddly missing. Somehow it's overridden all the registry settings to disable it and also overridden my Windows update settings to re-enable itself and install again, I've uninstalled the update again and re-hidden plus also trying Robbo's tool to see if that stops it.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Windows 10

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Jan 2016, 21:48

New version of GWX control panel out:

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

Windows 10

Postby robbo » 04 Jan 2016, 01:41

Weird as it is, I haven't had any W10 update requests at all since I reset my Vaio to the factory reset with the Vaio software still loaded on the machine. I've uninstalled some of it but left most. My sister's HP which is also on w7 hasn't had any w10 notifications either. Odd. Maybe somehow the hardware manufacturers software is confusing windows update?

Return to “Other Technology”