Windows 10

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Windows 10

Postby Replicant » 04 Jan 2016, 21:20

robbo wrote:Source of the post Weird as it is, I haven't had any W10 update requests at all since I reset my Vaio to the factory reset with the Vaio software still loaded on the machine. I've uninstalled some of it but left most. My sister's HP which is also on w7 hasn't had any w10 notifications either. Odd. Maybe somehow the hardware manufacturers software is confusing windows update?

This is the same on my desktop at home and at work.
Y.N.W.A.
Tappy

Windows 10

Postby Tappy » 05 Jan 2016, 10:39

I had to use the media update tool thingy on Mrs T's laptop. There was no indication at all. This was a while ago, so I don't know if more updates appeared to make it happen.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Windows 10

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Jan 2016, 00:02

I updated my Dad's laptop which is the first time since March 2014 and it picked up all the W10 updates including the newer more forceful one which only gives the option of installing now or later.

Any thoughts on Windows 10 from a older person point of view? My Dad hasn't really used a PC since Windows XP so I am wondering whether it's worth upgrading the machine to Windows 10, he won't be fussed about the quicker booting or anything but I'm wondering if the interface is any easier to use.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Windows 10

Postby robbo » 08 Jan 2016, 00:50

The icons look different so if that's something he's used to than maybe hold back. Also the start menu - does he use that much?

My mum's laptop got updated to w10 and she carried on using that fine. She's a light user and mainly IE or Chrome browsing but saying that, she's since got ab iPad mini and I don't think the laptop's been turned on much (if at all) in the past year.
Tappy

Windows 10

Postby Tappy » 08 Jan 2016, 16:39

The old man didn't like Windows 8 at all, but is happier with Windows 10 (even though it's the same imo!). It's just the Start Menu not being full screen and things not opening maximised - seems more familiar, I guess.

Windows 10 has all those simple settings menus making things easier to find for a non-regular user - I think.
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Windows 10

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Sep 2016, 00:26

I dislike the new photo viewer, music player and media player as they seem more limited than their previous versions and more focused on advertising MS products. For music and video, the Windows 7 media player is still there and easy to change back as a default but the photo viewer isn't. However using the reg file here I've got the Win7 photo viewer back as well:

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/ ... post290818

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Tappy

Windows 10

Postby Tappy » 08 Sep 2016, 10:01

I suddenly realise that I can't remember opening a photo in Windows 10. Does having Office make a difference, because in work (On Windows 7) I always use the wonderful Microsoft Office 2010 viewer?

And yeah, I always use WMP. Mrs T uses the new media player on the Surface - nicer with touch, I suppose.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Windows 10

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Sep 2016, 15:37

Office can make a difference as there is an office picture viewer package which offers some basic additional tools for picture editing. The touch media players in Windows 8/8.1 worked fairly well but even aside the advertising, I find the Windows 10 versions are broken - the reason I went digging for the W7 photo viewer is that I find the W10 frequently gets stuck trying to load a picture, even when it's just a small 500k one it can sit loading for a few minutes at a time. It also seems to often get stuck on the first picture when I load a slideshow and the controls in a slideshow don't seem to work if you want to pause it and flick through pictures. The W10 media player also seems to have the same hanging problem (it's doing it on each of the W10 machines so I don't think it's an install issue) plus the video codec support seems really poor, it won't load some common mp4 and avi codecs that the W7 and W8 versions are fine with.

John
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Windows 10

Postby steffcip » 09 Sep 2016, 15:14

I use acdsee for photos for any windows version, it is very good, quick and can do some editing as well, batch resize etc
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Windows 10

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Sep 2016, 19:50

I have image editing software on my main machine but keep the others fairly standard to save having to do the same install on all of them.

I see after all that the Anniversary Update has wiped all the default applications back to the Win10 ones again...sigh

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Windows 10

Postby EviL Ras » 27 Sep 2016, 20:25

Absolutely stonkingly huge update this week! Took 30 mins to install!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Windows 10

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Sep 2016, 20:55

Yep that's the Anniversary Update, I'm not sure if it's a phased roll out as I thought it had been released some time ago.

John
Tappy

Windows 10

Postby Tappy » 28 Sep 2016, 09:46

Anniversary only just installed for me. It kept failing and the computer would have to repair itself. It had gotten so bad that I had stopped shutting the computer down (even a restart without an update would hang at the bios and need several restarts). I don't know if they changed something, but I had to restart yesterday (or Monday) and it installed fine.

Return to “Other Technology”