Tech for one's house.

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
User avatar
robbo
100th member
100th member
Posts: 5597
Joined: 23 May 2008

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby robbo » 11 Oct 2014, 15:12

steffcip wrote:I would recommend you try with the sparky direct as it would be very nice to have cat5e even if he doesn't install the sockets to avoid any issues with completion/handover, you can do it later as long as you have the cables in the walls and know the position (i.e. next to power sockets).
I've refurbed a bit the flat I'm staying in (changed the floors) and added cat5 under the wood floor and carpet's underlay close to the walls and is very very useful now to have cables in all rooms.


I was having the same thought. They most probably won't start building til early next year so will have to see how easy it is to get hold of the sparky once they do.
User avatar
iwt
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths
Posts: 343
Joined: 24 May 2008
Location: Cambridge

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby iwt » 11 Oct 2014, 19:06

I got the British gas Hive stuff in preference to Nest because it does the hot water as well (when I changed the boiler a couple years ago I didn't want a combi as we've got 2 pumped showers). Hive works well and isn't dependent on being a BG customer.

Haven't found a better solution for lights than Hue, I love the stuff and it works well, just a shame you need adaptors for BC fittings.

The house will come with wired in smoke alarms and stuff I guess but might be worth trying to swap them if you want the nest connected ones.

Most things are easy to do after you move in but have a think about the kitchen, if you want anything interesting in there like lighting or power for things its easier done before the tiling. When we did the lounge, we put speaker wires under the floor for surround and a coax cable for Sky across to the other end of the room in case we wanted to change the layout later.
Macbook
User avatar
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap
Posts: 3086
Joined: 26 June 2008

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby scarbunny » 11 Oct 2014, 21:30

robbo wrote:Ta John. Seems I won't be able to get anything added extra to the house during the build stage that isn't in their catalogue so no cat5e or built in Sky points. Apparently they've got very strict guidelines these days and aren't allowed to deviate from the plans unless it's for allowed items from their brochure - unlike the old days when they could. Will all have to be post completion fitted if I wanted them done.


Not having any sky points in this day and age seems a little archaic, I've not seen a new build locally without one and normally a dish installed as well, and wouldn't consider doing an electrical layout without at least one sky bundle (sky point, TV, phone, and at least 4 power) and the no sky dishes/arieals till they have sold everything seems unreasonably harsh as there is a, albeit slim, chance they will never sell them all, although it is possible to have the dish instaled in the roof space if needs be. I also can't see why they can't deviate from the book of upgrades, the only reason I can think of is that nothing else has been budgeted and they don't want to cost it. Who is the developer if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not sure what else to suggest as most of what I would do would need doing at the build stage or would be a pain to do later. Pressurised hot water, cat 5, wireing the lounge for 7.2 surround, whole house ventilation, home server, I like the idea of home automation I doubt it would be worth the hassle.

We currently have a client that works in the tech industry who has installed three times the amount of cable he needs for "upcoming tech" but he hasn't gone into details so I'm not sure what he is anticipating.
Image
User avatar
robbo
100th member
100th member
Posts: 5597
Joined: 23 May 2008

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby robbo » 13 Oct 2014, 10:55

iwt wrote:I got the British gas Hive stuff in preference to Nest because it does the hot water as well (when I changed the boiler a couple years ago I didn't want a combi as we've got 2 pumped showers). Hive works well and isn't dependent on being a BG customer.

Haven't found a better solution for lights than Hue, I love the stuff and it works well, just a shame you need adaptors for BC fittings.

The house will come with wired in smoke alarms and stuff I guess but might be worth trying to swap them if you want the nest connected ones.

Most things are easy to do after you move in but have a think about the kitchen, if you want anything interesting in there like lighting or power for things its easier done before the tiling. When we did the lounge, we put speaker wires under the floor for surround and a coax cable for Sky across to the other end of the room in case we wanted to change the layout later.


The house comes with a energy display of sorts I think (from looking at plans for the same type of house in an earlier phase) which is located in the downstairs loo(!?). I'm going to have to put a bit of thought in to what I want/can afford and hopefully I'll be able to get a look at proper plans for the house I'll be buying as specs do - and have - changed between different phases of the development. The layout thing I'll have to look into a lot as where they have designated the dining area I thought could be a nice little tv/sofa hub. Will need to get some measurements for sofa sizes etc and if it is possible, it will mean a change of position for the tv aerial and sockets etc. Also if I have enough space in the kitchen for the option for a dish washer even though I'm happy to go without as I've never had one before.

scarbunny wrote:
robbo wrote:Ta John. Seems I won't be able to get anything added extra to the house during the build stage that isn't in their catalogue so no cat5e or built in Sky points. Apparently they've got very strict guidelines these days and aren't allowed to deviate from the plans unless it's for allowed items from their brochure - unlike the old days when they could. Will all have to be post completion fitted if I wanted them done.


Not having any sky points in this day and age seems a little archaic, I've not seen a new build locally without one and normally a dish installed as well, and wouldn't consider doing an electrical layout without at least one sky bundle (sky point, TV, phone, and at least 4 power) and the no sky dishes/arieals till they have sold everything seems unreasonably harsh as there is a, albeit slim, chance they will never sell them all, although it is possible to have the dish instaled in the roof space if needs be. I also can't see why they can't deviate from the book of upgrades, the only reason I can think of is that nothing else has been budgeted and they don't want to cost it. Who is the developer if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not sure what else to suggest as most of what I would do would need doing at the build stage or would be a pain to do later. Pressurised hot water, cat 5, wireing the lounge for 7.2 surround, whole house ventilation, home server, I like the idea of home automation I doubt it would be worth the hassle.

We currently have a client that works in the tech industry who has installed three times the amount of cable he needs for "upcoming tech" but he hasn't gone into details so I'm not sure what he is anticipating.


Persimmon is the developer and yeah, seems a little odd, but their requirement for all houses to be sold before anyone can put up an aerial/dish is quite the norm, in the contract and not specific to them. A mate of mine bought the last house in a phase of development where he is now (a couple of miles away) and no one there was allowed to add an aerial or dish to their house/flat until his house had been sold to him. I will try and find out where the dish would be placed and would like to get some wiring done to the lounge during the build. I don't plan on getting Sky straight away but would be nice if the wiring is in place for when I do and can want it.
User avatar
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!
Posts: 8333
Joined: 08 May 2008
Location: London (formerly Manchester, la la la!)

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby EviL Ras » 13 Oct 2014, 11:24

OMG, get a dishwasher! As the sales person training me 15 years ago said - "you dont wash your clothes by hand, so why wash the dishes?"

We went for a single oven with a combi microwave instead of a double oven too. £250 more, but great space saving! A nice bean to cup coffee machine on the counter would be good too!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Image
User avatar
robbo
100th member
100th member
Posts: 5597
Joined: 23 May 2008

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby robbo » 13 Oct 2014, 11:46

Haha. I'll bear that in mind, Ras!

I was thinking about a double oven but hadn't thought about a combi microwave instead. Was wondering how much space you'd lose with a double compared to a single oven but a combi microwave could be the way forward as I'll defo be getting a microwave.

I don't drink coffee so no bean to coffee machine for me!
User avatar
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 May 2008
Location: London, UK

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby Tappy » 13 Oct 2014, 12:36

EviL Ras wrote:We went for a single oven with a combi microwave instead of a double oven too. £250 more, but great space saving!


Actually, I would consider your cooking habits before getting one of those (presuming you mean the microwave and oven share the same hole). I tend to use the microwave in tandem with the oven to prepare components of a dinner, so when my flat had a combi oven-microwave, only having one box to cook stuff in was a pain. Plus the fact it could be too hot for some items if you were ovening in it first.

But that could just be my style of cooking.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
User avatar
robbo
100th member
100th member
Posts: 5597
Joined: 23 May 2008

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby robbo » 13 Oct 2014, 13:02

I was thinking of having a stand-alone microwave as well as a double/single oven. How good are combi micros as conventional ovens? Need to have a search on ovens I think! I like having a gas grill as well (top oven doubling up as a gas grill like at my parents') but don't think that's an option with the house - it's either single or double electric fan and then gas hobs. Don't want ceramic hobs.
User avatar
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!
Posts: 8333
Joined: 08 May 2008
Location: London (formerly Manchester, la la la!)

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby EviL Ras » 13 Oct 2014, 15:11

We have the combi microwave above the single oven. They're both series 3 neff, so they look the same. Its a space saving device. But its excellent as a second oven (fan assisted 230C) or grill. And it doesn't have a turntable so it really looks like just an oven! It meant we have more storage space elsewhere, but keep the double oven functionality the missus wanted. The alternative has a cheaper double oven and get a microwave that sits on the worktop. But having splashed out to get it, i dont regret the extra few hundred quid! It makes the kitchen look perfect and it works brilliantly! The oven is broken at the moment (the glass bulb cover smashed!) and its working admirably as a stand in for the main oven! albeit a bit smaller!

http://ao.com/product/C57M70N3GB-Neff-S ... &WT.srch=1

http://ao.com/product/B15P52N3GB-Neff-S ... 26306.aspx

Electric oven and gas hob is THE way to go. we've done it the other way round in a rented flat. BAD idea! the gas oven is too slow, and the electric hob doesnt have the on - off heat. as the ceramic takes a while to cool down. Its also cheaper for a gas hob.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Image
User avatar
Fodder
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap
Posts: 1349
Joined: 13 October 2008

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby Fodder » 13 Oct 2014, 17:03

I second the electric oven and gas hob. Also the combi microwave oven. Used one for years in my flat and it was perfect.

If you look into dishwashers, do not get Neff (the ovens are good though)! Everyone I know with one has to wash the dishes first, which kind of makes it redundant.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
User avatar
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!
Posts: 8333
Joined: 08 May 2008
Location: London (formerly Manchester, la la la!)

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby EviL Ras » 13 Oct 2014, 18:41

our neff dishwasher is fine! i always prerinse cos we leave stuff in there for a while. my brother in law just dumps everything and anything in there. all comes out clean!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Image
User avatar
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap
Posts: 3086
Joined: 26 June 2008

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby scarbunny » 13 Oct 2014, 21:25

robbo wrote:Persimmon is the developer and yeah, seems a little odd, but their requirement for all houses to be sold before anyone can put up an aerial/dish is quite the norm, in the contract and not specific to them.


Fairy Nuff, it's a bit different on the island as the developers instal all new builds with a dish in the roof space, however we can only get Sky or here so it's not as if you can buy something get Virgin and the dish is redundant, and it means you can have freesat without the hassle.

As for ovens I am a little conflicted, Ras' idea is elegant and pretty good for a smaller kitchen, however like Tappy I use both the grill and microwave at the same time regularly. The only thing I would say is a single oven alone is almost impossible to live with. My current cooking solution is a mess, single oven, combi microwave and George Forman grill, ideally I would want a double oven and a built in combi microwave stacked with a coffee machine.

And always a dishwasher, we don't have one at the minute and it's a necessary when we move.
Image
User avatar
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!
Posts: 8333
Joined: 08 May 2008
Location: London (formerly Manchester, la la la!)

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Oct 2014, 07:16

20141013_192353.jpg
20141013_192353.jpg (56.56 KiB) Viewed 1222 times


the combi microwave is at the top. It can microwave, grill and cook like an oven. the single oven is underneath. that can cook and grill!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Image
User avatar
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 May 2008
Location: London, UK

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby Tappy » 14 Oct 2014, 09:31

On Gadget Man last night they had a wholly kitted out house with colour changing lights, electric blinds, touch screen tablets as table surfaces, etc. But they also had a home cinema where seats would pop up from the floor and a projector spin out from a wall. The whole house only cost about £20M, and you could probably get all that done for a bit less if you have a word with the sparky.

Ras - that wasn't the space saving I expected. That appears to be an oven with a microwave on top, which would take up approximately the same space as an oven with a microwave on top!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
User avatar
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!
Posts: 8333
Joined: 08 May 2008
Location: London (formerly Manchester, la la la!)

Re: Tech for one's house.

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Oct 2014, 09:45

LoL! it IS a single oven with a combi above! 2 seperate units, they're just the same style! the space saving is because the original design had a double oven there with the microwave and a coffee machine next to it. but that would've meant we didnt get that storage unit on the right! (The left is a full height fridge).

This way we get the appearance of a double oven, with the functionality of a double oven. it just so happens the top bit microwaves too.

The gas hob is then opposite.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Image

Return to “Other Technology”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests