New graphics for old system

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

New graphics for old system

Postby se99paj » 05 Oct 2014, 12:37

So I've been using Linux Mint for the last few months after I did some swapping of components a while back but with the technical preview of Windows 10 being available I thought I'd give Windows another go (Will post on the Windows 10 thread).

I decided to try a few games on Windows 10 and managed to buy Crysis 3 for a bargain on Origin, unfortunately Crysis 3 requires a Graphics card with DX11 support. My current build is fairly old, an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600, 4GB RAM and a Geforce 8800 GTS 512 so I could do with a complete rebuild but don't really have the funds to go crazy.

I have two options:
1.) Buy new components over a period of time, hopefully within 6 months I'll have a fairly good spec, I was thinking of a new Graphics card first the maybe a motherboard bundle a few months later and a new case even later.
2.) Or look at buying a load of new components now, which would be a bigger hit in the short term and won't be as high a spec.

I realise that a new gfx card won't show a huge improvement, but was hoping it would at least get me up and running.
I've also started looking at new cards on the market and there seem to be a load of different cards available, sure there are more now than I've seen before, anyone have any recommendations guess my budget would be between £100-£150.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: New graphics for old system

Postby Tappy » 05 Oct 2014, 13:14

Well, I know Nvidia have reduced their 700 series cards because they've just released the 970 and 980 (tempted with one of those myself). But you could probably get a GTX 760 for sub £150. As far as performance goes, it will be capable of playing all games, may not be able to turn it all up to 11, but I don't think you'd notice. I'm currently using a GTX 570 (which benches less than the 760) and I have no problems with new games.

I assume you're all PCI-E, so won't need a new motherboard for a GPU?
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Oct 2014, 18:02

An Nvidia 760 was my first thought as well, I bought one for one of my PC's in preference to the AMD R9 270 for the better cooler. Performance from it has been better than I expected and its displayport support is much better than AMD if you ever need 4K support.

Depending on what you're thinking longterm, the cheaper 750Ti may be worth considering as well as it uses the newer Maxwell architecture the new GTX 970 and 980's use.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7764/the- ... ew-maxwell

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby se99paj » 06 Oct 2014, 08:46

Thanks for the feedback guys, still have PCI-E so no need to upgrade the mobo just yet, have had a look at the 760 and it fits the budget, prices seem to jump quite quickly after the 760. What do people think about the different manufacturers, as they're all using the same chip is any performance difference going to be minor?

Also, anyone got any views on the Bitfenix Phenom case? was looking at the Mini-ITX version as it will fit into my Ikea bookcase quite well, will need to make any case decisions now before I buy the graphics card to make sure it will fit.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Oct 2014, 12:53

There's quite a change on the Nvidia landscape at the moment as they've just released the GTX 970 and the GTX 980 which replace the 770 and 780 respectively which is unusual these days with the amount or confusing renaming going on. The 970 looks a very good card so it should push 770 prices down quite a bit, there's been a big drop in 780/780Ti prices (the cheaper 970 can manage similar performance to the old £500 980Ti) so it's worth keeping an eye out for any deals.

In terms of choosing manufacturer, the chip is the same but the cooler and after service support can still separate them quite a bit. Most companies offer their own cooler design and many also still offer the stock Nvidia reference design as well and they offer differing sizes, thermal performance and noise so it's definitely worth checking reviews for specific cards to see if the cooler is any good. The main reason I went with an Nvidia 760 over the AMD R9 270 is that it was possible to get the Nvidia card with the stock blower type cooler while I couldn't find any for the AMD that would fit my case. The reason I wanted a blower type cooler (where the fan sucks in air one side, blows it over the card and vents it out the back) is because it was going in a very small case (Alienware X51 R2) with little circulation. Open air coolers (where you have a heatsink and up to three fans on top) are usually quieter and can be quite thermally efficient but the catch is they're dependent on good ventilation in the case as they deposit the hot air from the card straight back into the case.

I'm not familiar with that case (or to be honest any case at all these days) although I've had a look on their website and it seems a very clever and compact design. I initially thought that was the graphics card running along the top of the case with a riser in between but I now see the riser is actually the graphics card and the fans along the top are for what I assume is a liquid cooling system for the processor. I chose the GTX 760 for its thermals and power consumption (as well as the blower-type cooler), it's not too big a card and no issues with power consumption on a 330W PSU. I reckon I might have been able to squeeze a GTX 770 in but thought it wasn't worth the risk.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 06 Oct 2014, 13:17

I did try and look back through Kitguru because someone stuck a Titan Z in one of those compact cases! Wondered if it was the same one. But there was too much stuff to look through to find what I was looking for.

As I mentioned above, I think I'm going to get a GTX 970. Performance aside, the lower power consumption is impressive. I also want the reference cooler. The fans on my Gainward GTX 570 have never been anything close to quiet.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 06 Oct 2014, 18:57

How about http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asus-nv ... on-2016760

There was an R9 280 going for £135ish the other day at Novatech.
Y.N.W.A.
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby se99paj » 07 Oct 2014, 13:04

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I've had a look at the reviews on TechPowerup and I think the MSI GTX 760 Mini is going to be the card of choice, I wasn't specifically looking for a mini card as I thought there would be some sacrifices but I haven't seen anything mentioned. Although performance is important I'm probably not going to notice the difference between one card or the other, and I'm not going to have anything to compare it against anyway.

I was interested to see how the cards performed regarding noise, its not the end of the world if its noisy but quiet is good, the MSI seems to be very good in this department.

Return to “Other Technology”