Hyperlapse

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Hyperlapse

Postby Tappy » 27 Aug 2014, 12:24

Superb BBC reporting... or am I missing something:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28941283

Photo and video-sharing service Instagram has launched a new time-lapse app called Hyperlapse.

The US social media company says it can capture high-quality videos while the user is on the move using built-in stabilization technology.

Software to stabilize videos? Right, good.

Users will be able to tap once to begin recording and tap again to stop.

Erm, seems familiar.

You then choose a playback speed that you like between 1x-12x and tap a green check mark to save it to your camera roll.

A green check mark - why has no one thought of using this colour before?!

You can then share your video on Instagram with all the usual filters.

I don't understand what the BBC is trying to tell me! And where are the time lapse features?!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Re: Hyperlapse

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Aug 2014, 14:10

This is very poor reporting, the article I read on this yesterday explains it much better as it had a schematic showing how the stabilisation system worked. From what I gather this new software is similar to Microsoft's hyperlapse system in that it performs more extreme stabilisation to counter the more extreme movement when standard video is sped up. I haven't seen any actual resulting video from it but the previews claimed it appeared to work well. I'm just having a look now, the picture I saw had various points on the video marked which were then used to work out where the camera should be pointing to keep it steady. So when walking down a pavement, it had marked some points on lady walking ahead, the pavement, signs etc. which would then be aligned to have a steady video. I assume like Microsoft's system it would need to stretch and paste in textures to fill in the gaps, it's great to see the idea being developed as it's a big problem I have with cycle rides - it's far too long and dull to show a full cycle ride but when sped up there's too much movement, a system to straighten that out even if it had graphical issues would be great.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 28 Aug 2014, 00:11

Article from the Radio Newsbeat part of the site. Always comes up in massive font size and blurry pics for me even though the rest of the site scales normally. Must be for the iPad users out there.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 28 Aug 2014, 09:16

Ah right, so it is about the stabalization. It was glossed over so quickly, I assumed this was just the usual steady features off of a 90's camcorder!

Robbo, what you looking at the site on? The text is bigger on my screen (IE9) but I thought that was for kids, cos kids like big words in their kids books.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 28 Aug 2014, 11:15

Opera mainly but I think the newsbeat stuff comes out big on chrome too. Nice and small (normal) on IE on my phone though.

Return to “Other Technology”