Raspberry PI

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Raspberry PI

Postby Replicant » 26 Jan 2014, 12:52

Haven't heard anyone on here talking about one of these and wondered if any of us have bought one and what have they been up to with them.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Re: Raspberry PI

Postby Johnmcl7 » 26 Jan 2014, 23:54

I don't have one myself, I don't need one as a media streamer which seems a common use for them but did look into them for school projects or as an embedded controller with something like Mindstorms. I'm part of a scheme called STEM and work with schools to encourage computing, what's surprising and of course one of the reasons the Raspberry Pi was created was the lack of programming now taught in schools. Originally we were hoping to buy some of the Pi's and do a weekly class with pupils to develop something but at the moment we've been focusing more on one off events as they're much easier than the ongoing commitments of a weekly class.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 27 Jan 2014, 13:19

Ah, incidentally my brother is head of STEM or director of STEM (or something like that) at the school he teaches at - and, like John says, uses the Raspberry Pi's in some capacity to teach programming. A few of my colleagues in my old work were really keen to get some, but I don't think they ever got round to actually using them, just grand ideas!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Jan 2014, 16:12

Tappy, I'd be interested to hear what they're doing with the Raspberry Pi's and how they're getting on. Not unusually someone at work was asking me for advice as their 12 year old son wanted to get into games development and found they'd done no programming at all at school and didn't know where to start. So if it's working well for your brother it would be great to be able to do something similar and get pupils coding.

The difficulty I guess is that when I was much younger and the games were basic, it was entirely plausible to rewrite portions of the game or produce simple games yourself. Now console games are massively complex taking huge and talented development teams many years, it's a lot more difficult to explain and show the steps involved to produce even a basic game.

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 28 Jan 2014, 10:13

I remember on the ol' Acorn Electron, typing pages and pages of text copied from the back of a magazine to produce an actual game! It's a computer, you type some stuff and there's a game... how is this possible?! I've just moved my desktop (which is a slight bit more advanced than an Acorn) upstairs where I have no WiFi signal, and it's just a giant paperweight - can't do a thing with it without the internet! :D

Sent an email to brother asking what's happening with the Pies in his school.
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 29 Jan 2014, 16:32

Someone was clearing out their garage and came across copies of Practical Computing from the early 80's and part of it was a few pages of code to enter manually by hand. The scary part though was the corrections section that listed the error that were in the previous issue and how to correct them, I was thinking it would be more than a little frustrating typing all the code in and find it wasn't working through no fault of your own! Then again, I guess that's just how things were - playing C64 games was always a challenge to get the game going, sometimes it would load, sometimes it wouldn't, maybe the game would crash just after loading, perhaps you'd get way into the game and it would just freeze. I remember we had various rituals as we were convinced some games would load better if we didn't press enter after pressing play on the tape or not pressing the Commodore key. When loads were failing we would alternate so perhaps pressing the enter key but not the Commodore key etc. when at the end of the day it was simply that tapes are crap for data!

I'm very interested to hear about the Pi's in education even if they haven't worked out well as hands experience is very valuable. Someone today was talking about developing smartphone apps with school pupils which I was thinking actually probably would be quite doable if you set up the boring stuff so they just wrote the actual working code, it wouldn't need to be anything fancy to begin with and with Android it could be published on the Play Store which would be very rewarding.

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 29 Jan 2014, 18:39

Oooo, sorry, my brother did reply. He wasn't overly helpful tbh! And now my phone's dead so I can't read the text. Teaches me for playing Temple Run 2 all lunchtime.

Ah, tapes! Those were the days! You had to pause it and press play at different places to load more stuff - it was great! Oh, and the loading screens, painfully waiting for the game to... maybe... please... come on... just work!

Right, got some juice! He said they use it just as they would a PC if teaching programming, but since Scratch and Python are built in, it's a nice cheap option and they can do some funky stuff with adding boards.

Told you the answer wasn't too helpful! Let me know if you have specific questions. I don't think he knows what is going on really...
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 10 Oct 2014, 22:02

Well i decided (eventually) to buy a B+ version and am currently posting from it in a round about fashion. Connected to it wirelessly via VNC.

Just need to have a play with it now and see what can be done and use the opportunity to learn some Python too.
Y.N.W.A.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 13 Mar 2015, 14:10

Been and bought myself a Raspberry Pi 2 - definitely faster and more useful. Now to think what to do with it?
Y.N.W.A.
jurassicjim

Raspberry PI

Postby jurassicjim » 10 Dec 2015, 16:56

Raspberry Pi people.

I'm thinking about getting involved. Streaming from my NAS via Chromecast is getting a bit annoying with unsupported codecs and whatnot, so I feel this may be the best solution.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide on what I need, and what I need to do to get a media streaming box up and running please?

Is https://osmc.tv/ the best option? If so, which exact components will I need as a minimum?

Cheers

j
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Raspberry PI

Postby EviL Ras » 10 Dec 2015, 18:11

The Pi zero is like a fiver..
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Raspberry PI

Postby se99paj » 14 Jan 2016, 11:14

I've been using a Raspberry Pi 2 at home for about 6 months and think its pretty good, although I'm using this as a media centre and have Kodi installed not for any programming experience.

I won't go into using Kodi, but the Raspberry Pi is so cheap to run (and difficult to turn on/off) that I run it 24x7, it also supports HDMI-CEC out the box so if your tv supports it you can use your tv remote control as the interface.

If you're looking at using Kodi then I'd recommend downloading the "Yatse" app, it allows you to control the Kodi frontend in a "Chromecast" style, you can also download you're tv shows/movies to your mobile/tablet for viewing on the move.

If you've already got a NAS filled with shows/movies then I'd recommend purchasing the media bundle from here: http://thepihut.com/collections/raspber ... centre-kit

This is what I bought and everything you need was included, I did buy a micro SD to USB adapter at a later date but this was so I could mess around a bit, it isn't required to get you started only if you want to install a different OS.
jurassicjim

Raspberry PI

Postby jurassicjim » 14 Jan 2016, 15:08

Hey sepaj, I have a very similar setup, though I'm using a different remote to you. I'll try the one suggested as looks good.

Really loving the setup, works much better than Chromecast!

j
scarbunny

Raspberry PI

Postby scarbunny » 14 Jan 2016, 15:18

I'm struggling to get my to work in a satisfying way. I'm having to do everything over SSH as I don't have a spare USB mouse and keyboard so that doesn't help, neither does the fact I am running RASPBIAN JESSIE and all the tutorials are written for WHEEZY, so I end up with random errors half way through with no obvious solution.

Currently trying to set it up with Couch Potato, Sick Beard, SABnzb and Plex for easy media downloading. Time Capsule backup ability, a hack around so that you can Airplay to Sonos (although I don't think I need that really) and possibly as a NAS to keep photos and stuff locally. With a 4Tb external drive attached.

I think I will do a fresh install either this weekend or next with WHEEZY and borrow a mouse and keyboard from work, see if that helps.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Raspberry PI

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Jan 2016, 17:52

I was tempted, but glad I went off the shelf with synology!

Tho i wish amazon prime used chromecast!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14

Return to “Other Technology”