Nvidia Project Shield - who wants one?

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Aug 2013, 00:22

So, Nvidia Project Shield is finally here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7190/nvid ... ile-gaming

In a nutshell it's an Xbox 360 style control pad mated to an Android powered device running Nvidia's latest and greatest system on a chip which is the quad core A15 Tegra 4. The system can either run games locally like other Android devices or it can act as a remote screen/controller for a PC similar to the Wii-U and its gamepad. When it was initially announced I couldn't really see it ever being released but not only has it been released, it seems to have been very well thought through particularly the ergonomics. However it's one of those things that I like the sound of it and would like to have it as a piece of technology but can't really see me getting any use out of it. The streaming feature is a bit of a dead duck as I don't currently have an Nvidia graphics card but even if I did, I couldn't really see me using it. The main reason I play PC games is for the controls and being able to play at 1440p on a 27in screen so I'd rather play it on the PC anyway plus for smaller controller optimised games, since I need to have the PC on I'd rather just use that.

There's another interesting side to this as well, Qualcomm had a few wins initially with their Snapdragon processor which was adopted by a variety of different devices including major Android devices and was the standard platform for Windows Phone. Since then though it's been more in favour of the standard ARM processor designs with the dual core A9 Tegra 2 becoming the standard platform for Honeycomb and Samsung have made extensive use of Cortex A9's with their Exynos platform. More recently though it's really swung back to Qualcomm who are really dominating the ARM market at the moment, the new Nexus 7 changes from the quad core A9 Tegra 3 platform to a Qualcomm platform which left me wondering what systems are not using Qualcomm chips right now. The obvious one would be the Exynos 5 Octa, the twin quad core platform intended for the S4 which could balance the high power consumption of the powerful Cortex A15's with several less power hungry (but fully instruction set compatible) Cortex A7's. As far as I've seen that platform has been a bit of a disaster and Samsung ended up shipping most of the S4's with the Qualcomm platform instead, they've recently announced a new version of the Octa platform which fixes a bug which occurred when the system switched between the A7 and A15's and switches back to an ARM GPU instead of a PowerVR GPU. The Note 3 is rumoured to be the launch platform for this chip but there's also rumours the Note 3 will offer a Snapdragon platform as well (most of the Samsungs come in Qualcomm and Exynos versions). The Nexus 10 and a couple of others use the dual Cortex A15 platform plus I think there's an Asus tablet that's meant to be using the Tegra 4 platform but that's it.

Microsoft's standard platform is still Qualcomm's Snapdragon, HTC are using Qualcomm processors as are Sony leaving Apple as one of the only main players that aren't. The reason for so many design wins by Qualcomm is that their Krait based Snapdragon processor does a great job balancing performance and batterylife which is something the Cortex A15 doesn't do. It offers very high performance but it comes at too high a cost as the platform can suffer very high power consumption. ARM have an answer in the form of the Cortex A12 which as the name suggests sits between the A9 and the A15, offering similar power consumption to the A9 but a solid performance boost. It sounds good but the estimated release seems far too late:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7126/the- ... cortex-a12

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Nvidia Project Shield - who wants one?

Postby Tappy » 05 Aug 2013, 19:19

Johnmcl7 wrote:So, Nvidia Project Shield is finally here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7190/nvid ... ile-gaming

In a nutshell it's an Xbox 360 style control pad mated to an Android powered device running Nvidia's latest and greatest system on a chip which is the quad core A15 Tegra 4. The system can either run games locally like other Android devices or it can act as a remote screen/controller for a PC similar to the Wii-U and its gamepad. When it was initially announced I couldn't really see it ever being released but not only has it been released, it seems to have been very well thought through particularly the ergonomics. However it's one of those things that I like the sound of it and would like to have it as a piece of technology but can't really see me getting any use out of it. The streaming feature is a bit of a dead duck as I don't currently have an Nvidia graphics card but even if I did, I couldn't really see me using it. The main reason I play PC games is for the controls and being able to play at 1440p on a 27in screen so I'd rather play it on the PC anyway plus for smaller controller optimised games, since I need to have the PC on I'd rather just use that.

Funnily I'm the opposite, it only appeals to me because I could stream Steam games on it! Although to just do that job, there are probably much easier ways to go about it. But much like you, I like the sound of it, but just wouldn't get the use out of it.

Impressed they released it though. Thought it was only Razer that actually made these low-volume gaming toys "cos they can".

And Microsoft of course, but I don't think they intended the Surface to be that way ;)
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 09 Jan 2015, 11:05

As good to talk about it here as anywhere.

The SHIELD Tablet is going well. I have started formulating my thoughts into some sort of review, but I need more time.

The GRID game streaming service works. This is their GaiKai or Onlive. There are about 20 titles on there. A lot of LEGO games, Arkham games, Darksiders, GRID racing games. Oh, here's the list: http://shield.nvidia.com/grid-game-list/ So that's nice having those games free to play atm.

To get the Streaming to work I did have to change my router. Although stuff appeared to work initially, the game would lose connection. This was with both the streaming from the computer and streaming from online. My old router was using the 20Mhz and 40Mhz wireless bands, whereas NVidia insist that a 5GHz wireless router is needed. I was skeptical since my wireless speeds seemed fast enough. But I called up EE to get their BrightBox 2, and it seems NVidia was right. Streaming works with no problem now. It actually seems to work fine on the 2.4GHz band too.

My only niggle about GRID is the lack of achievements. I know that PS trophies and Steam achievements aren't as real as Gamerscore, but at least they are there to acknowledge I did something. With GRID there is nothing, and that feels odd these days! I might look on their forums later to see if there is any plans to introduce something.
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 31 Jul 2015, 15:06

Seems there's a recall out on the Nvidia Shield for a battery fire risk:
http://hexus.net/mobile/news/tablets/85 ... re-hazard/

Will have a look later to see if mine is affected. I have a replacement in hand with the case cracking issue (which they all sem to suffer from) but I was going to wait 11 months before jumping on that since there appears to be no solution.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 02 Sep 2015, 13:16

Got me my replacement Shield. Just need to figure out what to do with the old one. They gave me a box for posting it back, but aside from a FedEx sticker, there are no instructions. Considering it's their screw-up, don't see why I should have to take the old one to some FedEx collection point. Will probably just stick it somewhere and forget about it.
csteff
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby csteff » 02 Sep 2015, 16:16

I will give you a beer for the old one :)

* a bit more than a "beer" obviously
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 18 Nov 2015, 17:08

Hey, Steff, didn't see your post. Apparently it was deactivated or something when the new one was turned on. I'll leave it under the table for a bit longer in case they ask for it!

Anyway, here to say that there's a new tablet and it's a lot cheaper than the old one at £150:
http://shield.nvidia.co.uk/tablet/k1
No charger or stylus with that though.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 19 Nov 2015, 00:50

Cheaper than the Galaxy tab s2! Wonder how they fare against each other!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018

Return to “Other Technology”