New phone for 2013?

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

New phone for 2013?

Postby Replicant » 24 Feb 2013, 12:32

Almost upgrade time and I am looking for something to replace the SG Note.
No longer need the Notes functionality for taking notes as I use the 10.1 for that nowadays.

So I am currently deciding between the Xperia Z, HTC One, waiting to see when Samsung tells us about the S4 or going the Windows route with the Lumia 920 (unless there is a new WP8 headliner on the way). Apple and Blackberry are not invited to the party but I would appreciate opinions from my fellow pondlife about all of these.
Y.N.W.A.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Re: New phone for 2013?

Postby robbo » 24 Feb 2013, 12:59

Had read rumours of a Lumia 920 successor coming this year but don't know when or any details on specs.
csteff
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby csteff » 24 Feb 2013, 13:30

Samsung Ativ S? I ordered this couple of weeks ago but is out of stock everywhere it seems.. = S3 with Win8
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 24 Feb 2013, 17:14

The battle going on in my head is whether to stay Android or go to Windows.
Y.N.W.A.
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 24 Feb 2013, 17:41

I don't envy you the decision. I've procrastinated myself into a dead end and can't settle on anything to replace my HTC HD2.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 24 Feb 2013, 20:53

I am quite taken by the Xperia Z but havent had a Sony since the SE T610 so no idea what they are like these days. Quite fed up with Samsung so not bothered about waiting for their offering.

I like the idea of WP8 but have reservations about them at present and wondering if I should give them another year or two.
Y.N.W.A.
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 24 Feb 2013, 22:34

I know some of you are feeling a bit jaded with Android, but find it superb for what I want out of a smart phone without the Apple tie-ins and expense. If push came to shove I could do everything IT I needed to do for my business on it with no hassle except the small screen and keyboard.

I currently have an S2, but next upgrade I will get whatever the 'vanilla' google phone is. Both the HTC sense and Samsung TouchWiz UIs just muck it up IMHO. The G1 was vanilla Android and still the best experience of the lot.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Feb 2013, 01:16

If I had an accident with my Note and it broke beyond repair the Sony Z would be the first phone I'd be looking at to consider as a replacement. General feedback on recent Sony models seems pretty decent (although depreciation usually seems harsh), the Z has memory card expansion and while I don't like the non user replaceable battery at least in this case you get weather sealed casing as a trade off.

While some aspects of the Lumia 920 look pretty good particularly that camera I wouldn't consider one, it's not really a case of maturity any more with WP it's just that I don't like some of the core design aspects that make it up. Mainly just that it's locked down and quite limited plus despite being keen on Windows 8 I still don't like the Modern UI at all.

The Google phones aren't of interest either with the lack of memory card slot and the Nexus 4 having its battery glued in.

MWC is about to start so there could be some interesting stuff there although unlikely to be out for a while. The main technology I'm interested in is ARM's Big Little design or whatever it's called which Samsung have announced in their new Exynos platform where you have four high power Cortex A15 processors and four low power Cortex A7 processors. The A15's can seemingly be quite power hungry processors so mixing the two types should mean both high performance and decent power efficiency. Should being the operative word though because if it's not well implemented I can see it being problematic if it doesn't handle the different cores properly.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 25 Feb 2013, 13:26

I actually have a feeling that WP is probably at a bit of a pinnacle right now, at least for a few years. They've pushed hard to get their new version of the OS out, and Nokia have done the same to pack everything they could into the 920 (and HTC 8X is good too), and now I think they will just use that momentum to gain marketshare, as opposed to the plethora of new software/features/tech that we had at the beginning of the year. So if you want WP, now might be the time.

There's very little fact in this, just basing it from what I felt with WP7.5 and the Lumia 800!

How about a Mozilla handset?! Are they available soon?
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 25 Feb 2013, 20:35

The Lumia 720 looks pretty tasty for a WP8 phone although at the moment it's looking unlikely to be heading over this way. http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/25/noki ... 0-preview/
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 25 Feb 2013, 20:52

I was going to go Windows Phone 8 at release, but fortunately all the handsets were delayed/exclusive and I eventually saw sense and got a Note 2. That said, I did look at 920's on Amazon today as they have some in stock... WP8 just doesn't have the software support though and I'm not convinced they've done enough to convince developers to develop en masse.

Samsung are having a launch event at the beginning of March for the S4, so I imagine there are going to be a lot of new models from various competitors coming out over March/April. I wouldn't want to commit now.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 01 Mar 2013, 20:29

Still really torn berween ditching android for Windows but swaying towards the Xperia Z as there are better deals available for it.

I mainly use my Note 10.1 for Android anyway so I wouldnt be missing out on a great deL if I switched.
Y.N.W.A.
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 03 Mar 2013, 17:12

Replicant wrote:Still really torn berween ditching android for Windows but swaying towards the Xperia Z as there are better deals available for it.

I mainly use my Note 10.1 for Android anyway so I wouldnt be missing out on a great deL if I switched.

You say that, but I love the fact that when ever I get a new Android device, all my Android apps are there. I'd have to re-buy my apps if I moved platform, so that's another reason I'm loathed to operate on two platforms. That said, I'm still wedded to Windows on the desktop/laptop, so if I could get it working as I wanted with the software I wanted on mobile I'd be happy. Just isn't happening at the moment though.
iwt
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby iwt » 03 Mar 2013, 22:58

I got the xperia z on friday, quite pleased so far. Plays nicely with the bluetooth in the car (nexus 4 would pair as a phone, but couldn't stream music somehow, guess just my car).

Camera is really nice. Its got loads of sony software I don't need or want and can't get rid of but thats about the only criticism at this stage.
Macbook
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 04 Mar 2013, 18:01

Come on then John - which (Lumia 920 or Xperia Z) do you think has the better camera?
Y.N.W.A.

Return to “Other Technology”