what browser

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: what browser

Postby jurassicjim » 14 Feb 2012, 23:53

That's what I do too Fodder. I don't know a better way so don't understand people saying chrome bookmarks are rubbish. Sync up on any PC easily and phone too. Works flawlessly.

J
raith_rovers_fan
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby raith_rovers_fan » 15 Feb 2012, 03:23

Chrome, bookmarks are the best I have used, folders/links along the top bar, just drop the links you want in the folders you want super easy to organise, super quick to access, no screen space taken away by a side bar. Has a quick links start up page, which was something I always liked about safari.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 15 Feb 2012, 20:51

I concur. If I was making a browser that's how I would make bookmarks work.

J
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 15 Feb 2012, 22:25

I think it depends on how you browse. My bookmarks drive my browsing rather than being something I go to if I want to find a specific site. Once you get used to the Opera way of doing things, it's bloody hard to go back to anything else.

I guess it's just a matter of personal taste rather than anything else, it is frustrating that something that should be so easy to include as an option, isn't.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 16 Feb 2012, 13:37

Speaking of browsers, I use IE9 and I have this problem whereby my search providers keep having Live, Google and Yahoo added to them. I delete them all, and then a few days later, I try to do a search and realise that suggestions aren't coming up, and I see that these 3 extra search providers have been added again. I've got the box selected to stop changes, and I'm very certain that my computer is clear of malware and other such nasties. Any ideas?! It's like it reverts to some default setting.

Incidentally I don't use bookmarks, I rely on the autocomplete and history options when I type in the address bar. I used to use favourites loads, I guess it's down to simpler browing habits, and a more flexible bar thingy in IE9 compared to older versions.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 17 Feb 2012, 15:18

That's how I use bookmarks as well, they're useful for a page with decent reference information that I probably won't need for many months after bookmarking by which time it would be gone from my history.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
csteff
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby csteff » 17 Feb 2012, 16:26

I use bookmarks toolbars in IE9 and FF
like FF best as can be restored after a reinstall nicely.. IE one resets in alphabetical order unless there is a setting somewhere to keep the order as I put them
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 17 Feb 2012, 23:48

Love the nicknames for my bookmarks in Opera. Use that and the autocomplete.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 10 Dec 2013, 17:36

So... Anyone still using Opera here?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 11 Dec 2013, 02:40

Yes I am although I'm finding that compatibility seems to be getting worse at the moment. Initially a lot of stuff didn't work with Opera, then it reached the point where just about everything did but now particularly the new vBulletin software doesn't work properly with Opera. I haven't been following what's been happening with the webkit version although I'm thinking now that's perhaps not a bad move as it should give the wider compatibility but combined with the features I like in Opera.

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 12 Dec 2013, 14:25

I doubt I use Opera as thoroughly as you do but it has been freezing more than usual for me - still on 12.15 here, not sure why I didn't go to 12.16. Looking around their forums a bit, the new Opera Next is still 'missing' a few features that I like about Opera - I guess those features are only really the bookmarks with nicknames, Opera Link and the mouse gestures.

It seems the new webkit Next version has Quick Access Bar which handles bookmarks ok and I assume mouse gestures are still there. Read a few comments saying compatibility is good and it zips along so might give it ago again if I can give a separate install of it.

Just still don't like the look of Chrome or Firefox... IE is alright, just miss the tabbing, bookmarks, mouse gestures of Opera.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Dec 2013, 22:59

Stability has been fine for me for a while, the only time I had real problems was when they released that wrapper for the 64-bit version that was supposed to handle 32 bit extensions/addins but instead seemed to cause the addins to crash far more and waste resources.

I was optimistically hoping the new browser would be just the same but with a different rendering engine but sounds like it's not going to be the case. Even when Opera was misbehaving on me I found I couldn't switch to another browser after giving them a good go, Opera just feels more complete out of the box and works well without needing much tweaking or customisation.

I do like the touch version of IE which is very quick but I only have the one touch screen Windows 8 machine so its not any use outside of that.

John
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 24 Jan 2014, 01:58

Firefox for everyday use and IE-whatever-the-current-one-is for those sites that won't function properly otherwise.

My HD2 has Opera mobile on it, but browsing on any phone is an utter last resort that I rarely endure and never willingly.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 17 Oct 2014, 12:56

Just installed Opera 25. Working well at the moment and am finding it quick and responsive compared to 12.17 which is getting quite old now. Has imported my old bookmarks from 12 into an imported bookmarks folder and they can all be viewed online using Opera Link. Will take a little time getting used to but as least Opera has bookmarks again - no kicknames for bookmarks though which I use quite a bit so will either have to find the bookmarks manually or use them so that they're in the autocomplete on the address bar. No Homepage either but I'll just add a speed dial entry for that.

Also just found out that the number of mouse gestures has been reduced. Annoying as 'open link in background tab' and 'open link in new tab' are no longer available. http://help.opera.com/opera/Windows/158 ... wsing.html

Oh, and scrolling through tabs now does them in a left to right order as opposed to the last viewed variety which I liked in old Opera.

edit - slight change in gesture but this extension adds right-click link gestures https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/ ... egestures/
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 29 Jan 2015, 14:10

So, after John sent the link, I'm trying Vivaldi. The new browser from the guy you made Opera but left a year or so ago after the change in direction which Opera has taken. https://vivaldi.com

First impressions:

Looks similar to Opera 12 with mouse gestures and recently used tab cycling working as before! Bookmarks have nicknames which also is great. As it's still a beta extensions aren't enabled yet and like Steff said, the ctrl+Enter for .com doesn't work but there are a load of customisable keyboard shortcuts and the promise of a well specced browser that doesn't need many extensions to come.

Tab stacking is a little awkward at the moment. Can stack but am finding it a little difficult to select the 'hidden' tab(s) without what seems a long hover over the tab stack - doesn't seem to be a quick click to view all the tab headers.

Return to “Other Technology”