what browser

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
UKIan
Master of the Salmon Slap

what browser

Postby UKIan » 13 Feb 2012, 20:51

Opera has let me down yet again, so I've decided to break the habit of a decade and ditch the bloody thing. I love it dearly, I just wish it worked with more of the internet.

So, what are you using? I've got the lot installed anyway, Safari is a no. Hate it. Chrome is nice, but the way it does bookmarks is awful and I couldn't find a decent replacement. IE is looking pretty good, and I'm typing this from within FireFox.

What I'd like is something that looked exactly like Opera but worked like Chrome.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Re: what browser

Postby EviL Ras » 13 Feb 2012, 21:10

i'm using IE 9. i have chrome and firefox installed, but just always settled with IE. it works.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 13 Feb 2012, 21:33

I have to say, chrome is the perfect browser for me. Clean, simple and works. Firefox I found very unwieldy and slow but had some great extensions. IE I just found clunky.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 13 Feb 2012, 23:12

oh aye, everyone says firefox is the best. i hear a few people slating chrome. they all hate IE. but they all allow me to load the internet, all need seperate installs of add ons, and all crash eventually! So they all seem pretty much the same to me! But then i'm not a web developer!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 13 Feb 2012, 23:29

When I don't use Opera I use IE 9. I quite like it actually - definitely its best release yet. Got Chrome installed and sometimes use that but never got on with Firefox.

Why are you ditching Opera? It not working with some things and when it freezes/crashes (mainly on fb) that annoys me but otherwise I'm still hooked on it.
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 13 Feb 2012, 23:39

I did use firefox a lot during my degree because of the zotero extension, which was brilliant, and the athens plugin. Unfortunately the athens plugin needed the 'old' version of firefox and in the end I submitted to having lots of windows open in chrome instead of the clean switch that the plugin gave me. (Oh, and evernote with refworks for the citations.)

I haven't looked at the most recent incarnations of IE or firefox. I am a bit of a google geek so have everything synced and tied in, so I have a bit of a vested interested in chrome plus it works well for me.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 14 Feb 2012, 00:16

chrome, simple and feels fast.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Feb 2012, 01:37

robbo wrote:When I don't use Opera I use IE 9. I quite like it actually - definitely its best release yet. Got Chrome installed and sometimes use that but never got on with Firefox.

Why are you ditching Opera? It not working with some things and when it freezes/crashes (mainly on fb) that annoys me but otherwise I'm still hooked on it.

Have you got the latest update? It should have the fix for the FB problems (the slow typing was extremely irritating), I'm finding FB works better since then although I generally don't bother much with the current Facebook page as it just annoys me, particularly its inability to remember which order you want stories sorted by.

I still use Opera as my main browser on all my PCs and occasionally IE9 for the sites Opera doesn't work well with (mainly just Outlook Web Access) but for my use I don't find many sites these days that don't work well with Opera. I like the feature set and find it's well designed with a bit more polish added over the last few releases, the other browsers feel a bit of a step down so there's nothing so far to tempt me away from Opera.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
csteff
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby csteff » 14 Feb 2012, 09:41

I am using IE and FF probably equally
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 14 Feb 2012, 14:17

Chrome for me on PC and my phone ( new chrome browsers for Android is awesome if you have not tried it)

J
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 14 Feb 2012, 14:44

Chrome on Windows, I agree bookmarks are handled badly but I tend not to use them very often.

Safari on Mac, love having full screen browsing on Lion best browser on OSX, although terrible on Windows.

Used to use Opera all the time, until one update made it unusable. I do miss the synced password management though

Tried FireFox in the past but always found it very clunky and bulky, and from what I have heard it is more of a system hog than ever before. I also found the styling very fussy, although it was a few years back.

IE9 I found very very slow, it seems to take an age to load pages chrome loads instantly, not sure what the issue is.
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 14 Feb 2012, 20:30

I was so annoyed with Opera this time. It managed to out do itself. I'm used to sites not working, or certain features not working quite right. This one was special though. Resharper has a nightly build download. For Visual Studio 11 you have to use a .vsix installer (if you don't know, the only important bit is it's a file with .vsix on the end). Opera was renaming it automatically to .zip. Which works because that's how the contents are stored in a .vsix. So I spent ages downloading different versions, hunting through the zips looking for the damn vsix file.

Anyway, I've sort of settled on FireFox with the following extensions:

2 pane bookmarks - like opera
all in one gestures - like opera
FXOPERA - duh

And so far, well it's not quite as smooth as opera, but all the sites work. I still use IE for bits as well. Chrome, I really would love to use it more but I hate the bookmarks and there just aren't any decent extensions. Apparently a lot of people have the same complaiint.

Ho hum :)
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 14 Feb 2012, 21:12

How do u all have your bookmarks?

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 14 Feb 2012, 22:43

Johnmcl7 wrote:
robbo wrote:When I don't use Opera I use IE 9. I quite like it actually - definitely its best release yet. Got Chrome installed and sometimes use that but never got on with Firefox.

Have you got the latest update? It should have the fix for the FB problems (the slow typing was extremely irritating), I'm finding FB works better since then although I generally don't bother much with the current Facebook page as it just annoys me, particularly its inability to remember which order you want stories sorted by.

I do have the latest update. I haven't noticed the slow typing since the update but was having trouble scrolling through my new timeline fb profile the other day - couldn't seem to handle all the content and just froze for a while. Don't know if that problem is Opera specific and I don't really like the timeline feature at the moment anyway.

jurassicjim wrote:How do u all have your bookmarks?

j

Um, I just have them added into folders relating to what content they link to! I do like the nicknames for them though and Opera Link where bookmarks can be shared over different systems but have found this annoying at times when I add in a new machine - I have to delete all pre-installed bookmarks and speed dials before linking as otherwise I end up with a mixture of what I what, from say my main laptop, and then the preinstalled stuff replaces some of my bookmarks/speed dials on my main machine! Unless I'm doing it wrong...
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 14 Feb 2012, 23:11

In chrome, I put my folders into the bookmarks bar. Then to access the items I just click on the folder and the items appear in a drop down. Simples.

Return to “Other Technology”