all things apple

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

all things apple

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 Dec 2015, 23:08

Fodder wrote:Source of the post the tab S2 is bloody fantastic as a piece of hardware, I also love Android. Unfortunately Samsung mutts it up with their apps and services which just duplicate (poorly IMHO) the ones hardwired into Android by Google. At least you can put the google now launcher on and get rid of that crap skin. Samsung need to dial their rebranding of Android down.

I think that's a fair point, I didn't like the Note 4 out of the box (particularly the stupid DPI and icon grid spacing as well as the large number of pointless apps) so it's got a custom DPI, a custom launcher (I'm a big fan of Nova Launcher, so much customisation) and the Samsung apps are out of the way so I can have the phone looking and behaving as I want without even rooting it unlike IOS which you do Apple's way or not at all. I think the original plan was for Samsung to develop all their own apps to eventually leave Google and move to AOSP and Tizen instead although despite a few imminent Tizen releases, aside from their smart watch I don't think they've ever released one.
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
robbo
100th member
100th member

all things apple

Postby robbo » 02 Dec 2015, 00:06

So, they're about to drop the 3.5mm headphone jack from their next phones then? With a lightning port? Or another patented jack/socket/plug which is also possibly rumoured?

*KERCHING!* $$$£££$$£$£
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

all things apple

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Dec 2015, 01:17

robbo wrote:Source of the post So, they're about to drop the 3.5mm headphone jack from their next phones then? With a lightning port? Or another patented jack/socket/plug which is also possibly rumoured?

*KERCHING!* $$$£££$$£$£

Is there any source for the rumour? I remember it cropped up a while ago early on when the lightning port was first introduced although given the drive to get the phones as small as possible I can see that the headphone port must be an annoyance and that it would be easy to have a lightning to 3.5mm adapter instead plus headphones with a native lightning connection.

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

all things apple

Postby robbo » 02 Dec 2015, 02:08

From a Verge article I read through Flipboard and also today on the BBC Three news bulletin so guessing the rumours are gathering pace.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/30/9820 ... ort-iphone
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

all things apple

Postby EviL Ras » 02 Dec 2015, 10:02

yeah, google now launcher is great on the tab s2. but i dont have an issue with the samsung touchwiz on the S6 edge. It works, and works well.

I really cant stand the apple OS. If i want to change settings in a bbc app, i have to go to settings?! Instead of opening BBC and changing settings in there. Frustrating!

Plus the over active "kill apps to save battery" means that, although all my pics are backed up on my NAS from my S6 edge, it doesnt work on the wifes iphone as the app closes when the screen is off. Halting any back up! Things like that are a deal breaker to me!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

all things apple

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Dec 2015, 13:08

robbo wrote:Source of the post From a Verge article I read through Flipboard and also today on the BBC Three news bulletin so guessing the rumours are gathering pace.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/30/9820 ... ort-iphone

I wasn't doubting your post, I've seen quite a few posts recently about the end of the headphone port so I was wondering if some design had been leaked showing an iPhone chassis without the headphone port milled out. With regards to that article:

NO ONE IS CLAMORING FOR A THINNER IPHONE

Even though I find it irritating how much of a drive there is for thin-ness at the cost of all else, I think it's wrong to claim there no-one wants devices to be thin - if anything it seems to be that's all many people care about, it seems to be one of the main feature reviewers highlight and manufacturers boast about with new products. I also think the article writer underestimates people's tolerance for change, Apple have got away with aggressively removing legacy ports in the past and while the current Macbook still has a headphone port it doesn't have a single standard USB port.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

all things apple

Postby matt » 02 Dec 2015, 15:30

i'd be happy with same fatness more battery and a 4 inch screen the extra inches are wasted on me.
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

all things apple

Postby scarbunny » 02 Dec 2015, 16:30

I thought this was a little disingenuous

Apple is not beyond doing seemingly outlandish things. It killed the 30-pin connector after selling a billion of them

The 30 pin was in use for 11 years before it was replaced, in the time since the 30 pin was introduced non-Apple devices went from pretty much a new different cable on every phone to USB Mini, USB Micro and now pushing in to USB C. On its mobile devices at least Apple is pretty consistent in its connectors.

It does annoy me that they sell a "Pro" laptop that doesn't have and Ethernet port. True they are not that useful day to day but not having one is a massive ballache when you do need it.

I have been less than impressed with Apple's recent reveals, I'm not overly keen on the iPhone 6/6s design and whilst the 3D touch on the 6s is quite nice to use and the Touch ID stuff looks useful there doesn't seem to be a massive jump between the 5 and the current models, the Apple Watch doesn't seem to have any buzz about it and doesn't do anything I want which to be fair no smart watch does, the iPad Pro seems utterly pointless while running iOS, the Apple TV looks like a nice upgrade over the last one but does nothing that the xbox doesn't and if anything the app store is 5 years too late.

I am getting to the point with my iPhone 5 where I am wanting/needing an new phone, but I really don't want to spend money on an Android device that I know I will not enjoy using. I am interested by the Lumia 950 but the app issue is a deal breaker, I use my banking app constantly. I will probably end up with an iPhone 7 next year because it was always the plan when I got my 5, but that is more down to the alternatives being so unappealing to me than being excited for the iPhone. Of cause they might release something spectacular that gets me excited again but I doubt that very much.

That went a bit rambley, sorry about that.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

all things apple

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Dec 2015, 17:58

I meant to post this in my last reply:

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/jo ... /2223.html

Motorola did offer fatter phones with huge batteries but I don't think they did that well, despite the claims in the article above many devices do seem to be based on how thin they are.

John
Tappy

all things apple

Postby Tappy » 03 Dec 2015, 11:14

scarbunny wrote:I am interested by the Lumia 950 but the app issue is a deal breaker, I use my banking app constantly.

What do you do with the banking app? I'm not being disingenuous! I am naive as to what advantages apps have over mobile sites. I ask because the current Windows Phone Lloyds Bank app is basically the website.

I think my lack of need of apps comes from not being able to have apps, so not realising what apps can do! I thought the Shield Tablet would teach me, but (aside from games) the only ones that I've needed to download because there's no alternative are the likes of X-Factor and I'm A Celeb apps!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Fodder

all things apple

Postby Fodder » 03 Dec 2015, 14:24

Depends what you have a need for. Early days of android saw a huge percentage of apps just being a skinned shortcut to a webpage, but that's very rare now with apps being a very slick way to deal with and manipulate information.

I don't allow twatbook on my devices and I just don't 'get' twitter, so from a social app point of view I have no idea. However, banking apps give you a great way of micromanaging your money if you so wish- such as paying bills etc. Manually when you have the money instead of sweating the direct debit. My diary is probably the most used app, using aCalendar instead of the 6 year old end of year project that is Google's effort. IMDB is great as an app. I use a medical reference app that keeps itself up to date with an offline mode, awesome. Podcatcher is great for managing podcasts. Flipboard is a great platform for your news feeds......

They kind of worm themselves into your life and become integral to the way you function. OMG! THEY'RE TAKING IS OVER! :shock:
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
scarbunny

all things apple

Postby scarbunny » 03 Dec 2015, 17:48

Tappy wrote:Source of the post
scarbunny wrote:I am interested by the Lumia 950 but the app issue is a deal breaker, I use my banking app constantly.

What do you do with the banking app? I'm not being disingenuous! I am naive as to what advantages apps have over mobile sites. I ask because the current Windows Phone Lloyds Bank app is basically the website.

I think my lack of need of apps comes from not being able to have apps, so not realising what apps can do! I thought the Shield Tablet would teach me, but (aside from games) the only ones that I've needed to download because there's no alternative are the likes of X-Factor and I'm A Celeb apps!

Its just so much easier to access than using the mobile site, my main log in information is stored in the app so I just need to use a normal password to log in, rather than account numbers and special codes. The HSBC app is now also the secure key for normal online banking so with out the app it becomes more of a faff to access that. It also has a fast balance function so just need to open the app and swipe down to access balance with out needing to enter any details.
csteff
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

all things apple

Postby csteff » 11 Dec 2015, 20:00

Yes i also use a lot hsbc and barclays apps

Return to “Other Technology”