all things apple

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

all things apple

Postby Replicant » 04 Oct 2011, 21:32

Another iphone launch that gives nothing new apart from the presenter.

To me this is just a model time play catch up with the rest. Yawn
Y.N.W.A.
matt
Cake
Cake

Re: iPhone 4S

Postby matt » 05 Oct 2011, 00:21

was hoping for the iphone 5 as it looked like an positive design change. The camera improvement is good but need to see if there is anything else that I'd use.

What is the best andriod camera phone? that is probably my biggest use these days with music + navigation coming in second.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 05 Oct 2011, 08:35

The super apple loving engadget have this comparison to a few other phones. I haven't been following phones for a while now but here's their take on the current best.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/ipho ... -and-tita/
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 05 Oct 2011, 08:58

The interesting thing about that chart is how uninteresting the Windows Phon 7 offering is. I mean from that list alone you wouldn't touch WP7. I do worry about Microsoft sometimes.

4S, meh. Nothing there for me. I don't think the lack of 5 was unexpected though. I'm still in my contract for my original 4, which suggests to me it's too early to upgrade, thus wouldn't be released.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 05 Oct 2011, 09:11

I'm up at the end of the year so might just pick it up on PAYG and take the hit if the iphone 5 comes out in the summer.

Thanks for the link robbo, what do HTC have comparable?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Oct 2011, 11:47

robbo wrote:The super apple loving engadget have this comparison to a few other phones. I haven't been following phones for a while now but here's their take on the current best.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/ipho ... -and-tita/

I was going to say there's a few errors there but actually it's me that's wrong, the US T-Mobile Galaxy S2 does indeed use a Qualcomm SoC as Samsung's Exynos SoC isn't compatible with the T-mobile high speed network. I thought the weight figures for the Iphone4 were a bit high compared to the S2 but they're correct as well which makes the S2's 4.3in screen all the more impressive, most of the 4S wasn't a surprise but I did think they'd up the screen size a bit.

Matt: I'd say the closest HTC here is the Sensation although I found its camera fairly average and also a few niggling reception and batterylife issues.

John
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 05 Oct 2011, 13:37

I have a feeling we will be seeing a proper iPhone 5 around the same time the iPad 3 is launched, March/April time. It seems like this release is a stop gap, possibly due to manufacturing difficulties that always seem to plague Apple launches.

I am tempted by this as there is very little price difference between this and a high end Android. While I think the S2 screen is amazing I think it is too big for me, tempted to look at the Nexus Prime as well but that is rumored to be even bigger.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 05 Oct 2011, 13:39

It made me laugh how they went on about superfast mobile broadband speeds of HSPA+ 14.4 when my Galaxy S2 has been way beyond this for 6 months now.

As usual they talk balls and the press lap it up without question.
Y.N.W.A.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 05 Oct 2011, 13:48

However I would argue that is a failing with the tech press rather than Apple directly.

They have just stated a fact that the 4S has HSPA+ 14.4, which is faster than most peoples home broadband. The fact the S2 has had it for 6 months is irrelevant to Apple but should really be highlighted in the reporting, assuming tech reporters are able to remember what is said in a press release once their copy has gone to press and the next big thing is out.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 05 Oct 2011, 13:55

scarbunny wrote:However I would argue that is a failing with the tech press rather than Apple directly.

I agree - the press never investigate any stories these days and just publish any rubbish that they are spoonfed.
Good old Johann Hare of the Independent was a classic case of this. But I digress.

Looking at that comparison the only area the Apple really wins out is on the resolution. Being the best tech rarely counts these days as people tend to buy only what their friends buy or the media tell them to.
Sheople the lot of them.
Hmmmmmm I am beginning to sound like Keltik now! Dont start talking about FLOURIDE!!! :lol:
Y.N.W.A.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 05 Oct 2011, 18:22

do the mobile operators even provide 15mbs or whatever the latest superfast speed is?

I was trying to stream some audio yesterday and it was shocking...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Oct 2011, 20:34

Replicant wrote:
scarbunny wrote:However I would argue that is a failing with the tech press rather than Apple directly.

Looking at that comparison the only area the Apple really wins out is on the resolution. Being the best tech rarely counts these days as people tend to buy only what their friends buy or the media tell them to.

I am surprised at the generally negative reaction to the new Iphone as it looking at the previous Iphones, it's pretty much what you'd expect as Apple normally do as despite pretty much always having inferior specifications or even working properly (Iphone 4 antennae and proximity sensor issues) they've sold by the bucketload. The Ipad 2 is a smaller upgrade over the Ipad 1 but I guess the difference is the competition particularly with the S2 managing to sell well in the general market. It looks like the Nexus prime is going to be very similar to the Galaxy S2 HD LTE (or whatever the monstrous variant of the S2 is known as) which will likely have the best specs although its size is probably going to be an issue for most people, quite interested to see what they come up with though.

Matt - I suspect the current problem with network speed isn't the speed of the technology but capacity issues, I used to enjoy when I went to cities and always had higher speed connections as up here we're a bit behind but at the moment due to serious capacity issues particularly in London the connection here is quite a bit faster.

John
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 05 Oct 2011, 22:45

UKIan wrote:The interesting thing about that chart is how uninteresting the Windows Phon 7 offering is. I mean from that list alone you wouldn't touch WP7. I do worry about Microsoft sometimes.

I don't think it's Microsoft, their OS is solid, the trouble are the hardware manufacturers. If Nokia don't come out with some WP7 N9 type thingy object-of-sex in the next few months then Microsoft have missed their opportunity to start making waves in the Smartphone scene whilst everyone is underwhelmed with the iPhone 4S. The thing is, even with a 'disappointing' product, Apple aren't going to start losing customers easily because everyone has spent a load of money on apps / the iEcosystem and it becomes quite an expensive jump to another OS. But surely the plethora of choice in the world of Android handsets must be starting to appeal to people who have become tired of what are basically two handset shells in the past 5 years?
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Oct 2011, 01:31

I think it is Microsoft as they're the ones that set the hardware and it's still extremely restrictive, I think the most advanced hardware allowed is a single core Snapdragon, Adreno 205 and 800x480 screen. When it looks like Samsung are pushing past dual core 1.5Ghz phones with much higher resolution screens and quad core A9 silicon is on the way, that MS hardware spec is looking dated. Nokia are apparently getting more freedom but it's understandable why hardware manufacturers aren't taking much interest in MS at the moment as there doesn't seem much in it for them.

John
raith_rovers_fan
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby raith_rovers_fan » 06 Oct 2011, 03:53

Steve Jobs has passed on to the big app store in the sky. The disappointment of the iPhone4s was just too much for him to handle.

I won't miss him but I am sure others will.

Return to “Other Technology”