Windows 8

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Windows 8

Postby jurassicjim » 28 Nov 2013, 14:08

Can't watch the advert as at work, but I really hate this whole campaign.

It is so desperate.

And really, does anyone believe that Microsoft doesn't want money, stop pretending you are out there to save us Microsoft!

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 28 Nov 2013, 21:12

While the video is quite funny and fairly well done, I agree with you that it's quite pathetic and doesn't look good for Microsoft. I find the approach odd because Microsoft are in a much better position for cheap low power device than they have been for years, Windows 8 runs reasonably on low end hardware, Intel have been putting a lot of effort into the Atom platform and they also have the ARM powered Windows RT platform.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 28 Nov 2013, 21:20

Johnmcl7 wrote:Microsoft are really upping their trolling recently:

John

Virtue of being considered the underdog, it seems.

That is quite funny though... mostly because it's what I say to my brother when he starts talking about his Chromebook! Either that or I ask him how it is possible that a guy travelled all the way to Malawi and saw similar geographical features next to one another. Amazing.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 05 Jan 2014, 19:05

Urgh, just found out another problem with my laptop and W8: the HDMI port doesn't work. Boo.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 28 Jan 2014, 01:03

robbo wrote:Do you know what? I have never thought of SkyDrive as being a possible BSkyB product. The use of the Sky name in SkyDrive just never clicked with me but I'm guessing that's because I always knew it was an MS product - something which many others I guess may confuse with Sky the broadcaster. Wonder what MS will rebrand SkyDrive as?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/31/bsky ... agreement/

So, it seems they're going with OneDrive! Fits with the Xbox One I suppose. And maybe OneNote. Will I be getting an extra 20GB email is more important though!

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-drop ... s-onedrive
http://www.wpcentral.com/check-your-inb ... a-skydrive
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 28 Jan 2014, 10:20

Yeah, the name isn't bad actually. And with the demise of "Live" they haven't had an obvious suffix or affix to go with. I thought it might have been 365Drive to go with Office365, but I guess it's a bit too close to the 360 of Xbox, which is now One... so it's all quite logical!

I still think something like NowTVDrive should have been used just to really annoy Sky!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 06 Feb 2014, 10:40

Maybe not the right thread but just seen the Dell Venture Pro is only £225 on Ebuyer, never looked at this before but it looks like an awesome way to play some old adventure games, maybe some Fallout 1&2 or Planescape:Torment.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Feb 2014, 17:05

I think this is the right thread as the Venue Pro is very much designed for Windows 8 as its low power platform and touch screen should work well with Windows 8. I've been looking at it for a while as the hardware optimisation in Windows 8 works well for the older Atom so the new quad core Atom the Venue Pro uses (Bay Trail) is meant to be a lot better.

The idea of having a small but full blown Windows tablet is tempting particularly as it's fairly cheap however what puts me off is that on the Vaio Duo 11 I've tried using it purely in tablet mode without touching the keyboard and I find it tough. The main problem is that the software keyboard isn't very good, you have to type slowly and accurately as it goes for under correction rather than over and you can't access a lot of the shortcuts as there's no Windows key. It's one of the reasons I returned the XPS 18 as I didn't find it very usable without a keyboard although I guess it's partially down the fact I don't use the Modern/Touch UI that much.

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 28 Mar 2014, 00:51

I wonder if there'll be any Windows 9 info at Build. Another year with my Windows 8 video problems on this laptop won't seem too long to wait! :D Will be 5 yrs old by then so definitely in need of a new machine!
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 11 Apr 2014, 18:57

Wasn't sure where to put the Surface Mini rumours so plumped for this thread. Apparently to be positioned as a note taking device and maybe even built ready to be shipped.
http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-posi ... -pen-input
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Apr 2014, 01:49

This seems a good place to me Robbo for the topic, a Surface Mini seems a reasonable expectation given that the tablet market around 8in seems to be getting quite heated at the moment. I'd love to see something like the Dell Venue 8 Pro with some sort of integrated keyboard design, unlike most other smaller tablets the Venue Pro is running the full version of Windows and the Bay Trail version of Atom offers a good mix of performance and batterylife.

However what sunk the Dell for me was the lack of an integrated keyboard which stood out when I was setting up a 10in Lenovo tablet, it was frustrating as I frequently wanted a proper keyboard and mouse which wasn't available. I'm not keen on the Microsoft software keyboard which may help if it's improved but for now I wouldn't buy a Windows 8 tablet without a keyboard of some sort.

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 06 May 2014, 22:50

May 20th - the date that my next assignment is due in and also the (probable) announcement of the Surface Mini. Hope this date leads to excitement for both things and that I can get my hands on one in June (which'll be around exam time) and use it for dissertation work due in October!*

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-hold ... ork-may-20
http://www.wpcentral.com/surface-mini-l ... -processor

*Those are my justifications for wanting to buy one
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 May 2014, 00:19

I like how much last post was about how I wouldn't buy a Venue 8 Pro and since then I've bought one..oh well.

I see the rumours point to the new Mini being RT based which I was initially surprised at as Intel's new Atom processor Bay Trail seems to really kill RT as it can offer full X86 support with similar thermals and power consumption and high performance. However I guess Microsoft still need to push RT so a new device using it makes sense, they can get the ARM processor cheaper than the Atom one and also they can pack a higher resolution screen with less issues as RT doesn't really use the desktop much. I realise the likes of the Venue Pro can use the Modern interface as much as the RT versions can but since it can also fully use the desktop interface for legacy software, scaling becomes much more of an issue whereas the Modern UI seems to handle high DPI screens fine.

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 21 May 2014, 00:17

(Saw I had posted in the wrong thread so reposting here)

oooo schmexy!!

No time to look at specs -back to work! And no Surface Mini?

*Addition - disappointed that the Surface mini has been shelved - at least for the mean time anyway. Maybe it wasn't differentiated enough from similar machines but I wanted one!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 May 2014, 00:57

The Surface 3 is a lot of smaller changes, the main idea is that by making it a bit smaller and thinner plus a more variable stand it can replace a macbook air and an ipad air (they were quite direct about that)

Internally it stays the same, Haswell processor (no Broadwell yet) and similar sized battery. They're boasting that it's the thinnest core based laptop there is. The screen is one of the biggest changes as it grows to 12in, changes to a 3:2 ratio and increases in resolution to 2160x1440.

The kick stand improves from a two position stand to a wide range of positions, the new type cover is larger gaining a better touch pad and an additional magnetic connector to allow it to be positioned better when on a lap.

The 'lapability' sounds a good improvement over the previous surface although I'm not convinced it will work that way on a lap. I'm interested in seeing one though, more so than the previous surfaces although the increase in resolution is a concern as the desktop interface doesn't scale well. I can see why they went for the higher resolution as they'd be criticised for 'only' using a 1080p panel but I think that's a sensible resolution for this size.

John

Return to “Other Technology”