RIM Playbook roundup

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category

RIM Playbook roundup

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Apr 2011, 14:46

So the Playbook reviews are finally out:

For anyone not following the news on this, RIM have produced a 7in tablet using an OS developed by a company they've bought up rather than a version of their Blackberry OS or Android. I think some of the ideas they've got are pretty good particularly going for a proper tablet OS rather than a scaled up phone one but a lot of it just doesn't seem to make any sense to me at all primarily the utterly bizarre choice to omit mail and calendar functionality which have been the core parts of their Blackberries. I think that by producing an enterprise orientated tablet that RIM could get a good chunk of the market to themselves, at work the only smartphones we allow are Blackberries and currently no tablets are supported even though there's been a lot of requests for them. Offering a tablet with solid security for Exchange integration, very good batterylife and a very stable OS I'd say would be something potentially my company would buy into over other vendors but instead the focus with the Playbook seems to be on media support. I do see it has the 'Bridge' functionality but that just seems a total kludge to me and thinking of the Blackberry users at work I can't see them going for a messy setup like that.

We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire

Return to “Other Technology”