Google Android Apps

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
robbo
100th member
100th member

Google Android Apps

Postby robbo » 07 Jul 2010, 14:16

Howdy good Android folk!

I know we have an Android Thread but thought it would be good to start a separate apps thread to save digging around for cool, useful apps you may have suggested. So, what's out there?

I'll try and keep this OP updated once suggestions come in. Names and details of a few you guys have mentioned to start off with below...

Juice Defender - extend battery life,
Advanced Task Killer - extend battery life,

Audioboo - for recording and uploading sound,
Qik - for recording and uploading video,
aldiko - for downloading and reading public domain books (others can be imported via a usb connection to a PC),

Jewels - for a great Bejewelled clone,
imobster and World War - database farming games.

My Tracks - to record where you have been out and about,

Aloqa - for checking out what's going on nearby,

Twidroyd (Twidroid) - Twitter.
Fodder
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Google Android Apps

Postby Fodder » 07 Jul 2010, 14:48

Skyscape - In it's free form, an excellent tool for looking up pathologies and keeping up with new published research. You can add modules at cost on top of that.

Wikimobile - Great little tool to access wikipeadia.

Calendar pad - Puts your calendar on a home screen as a widget, touch to edit. Use my calendar a lot (sometimes over 20 appointments a day) and found this to be great.

FML Widget - Good for a laugh if you think you are having a bad day.

SMS Popup - Customize SMS notifications, also turn off notifications for specific people.

Chomp SMS - I don't use this on Sense, but vanilla android I did. Customise the look of SMS.

Medical notes - Nice little note app, not medical really except for some of the backgrounds and icons.

Note Everything - Another note app, also pretty good. Not overly complicated as a lot of the note apps can be.

Dolphin Browser - Nice browser, bit more featured than the standard one.

Locale - Worth the paid version. Setup all sorts of automatic stuff. IE I have my clinic calendar linked so the phone automatically goes to silent when I am with a patient. I also have bluetooth turn on/off automatically when I plug in the car charger.

Mabilo Ringtones - Ringtone app, does what it says on the tin.

Movies - Nice movie/cinema time app.

XKCD Viewer - You are not a true geek without this.

London Tube Status - Excellent app to show where the trains are at. It has got me out of the crap a few times when they decide to randomly shut bits of line etc.

Layar - because it is sooo cool.

Sky Map - great way to show off the power of Android.

Urbanspoon - Great app to find places to eat nearby.

there are others, but these I use most.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
kingosticks
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby kingosticks » 07 Jul 2010, 22:57

Alice - uses the mp3s on your SD card and your last.fm account to find upcoming gigs near you
Google Googles - search with pictures (because you can!)
World Cup 2010 Fotomob - polls the web for live game info
Rom Manager - makes changing/upgrading roms much easier
Pure Calendar - Highly customisable calendar widget (not free, but worth it)
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 08 Jul 2010, 09:02

Oh, just to inform...

If you buy an app you use google checkout which can whack a £1.50 charge on top for exchange if the developer is in the US. So those 99p apps cost 250% of advertised!
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 14 Jul 2010, 09:41

just downloaded opera mini 5.1 and using it now. quite liking it. seems better than the beta but then I didn't really use that much.

haven't tried dolphin much either but things seem ok in opera mini so far.
Roadshow
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Roadshow » 14 Jul 2010, 09:45

http://www.tvcatchup.com makes a big deal of being an iphone app but it works just fine with android. It doesn't let you catch up at all, but it does let you watch most freeview stations streamed live to iphone, android or your PC's browser. The link for mobile users is http://m.tvcatchup.com/

Also Amazon's Kindle App is now available for android, should anyone want to invest in some overpriced ebooks.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Jul 2010, 12:45

TV catchup doesnt work on 3g for vodafone sadly..

I really like the TIMER app. even has voice to text entry for the timer!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 19 Jul 2010, 07:54

Anyone found a good camera app? The basic one for my mini pro is, well, a little basic. No b&w or anything...

Loving the barcode scanner app. Have signed up for Ocado too so might try and test an order and delivery out soon.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 19 Jul 2010, 10:01

Robbo, the new uxp stuff for xperia due out in Q3 will bring updated camera stuff. Inluding avchd. tho not sure if its just for the big x10..

Ocado app is awesome. you can even go to the computer mid backet. so i run round scanning in things with the barcode scanner, and continue the shop on the computer!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 20 Jul 2010, 07:27

Do any of these sms apps show more detailed information on texts received? I can only see the time of text received and there doesn't seem to be an option to find out the time sent. Kind of useful if I've had to turn my phone off/run out of battery/out of signal and and need to know when someone sent a message.
Roadshow
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Roadshow » 08 Aug 2010, 19:33

If like me, you are a Scrabble fan, Android has been serving us quite poorly. However, for the time being, assuming that they will at some stage be sued in to oblivion, there are two good options available at the mo.

For free, there is Word Feud which is scrabble, but with the board's bonus tiles shuffled a little. It is currently still in development, so lacks documentation and some useful controls, such as ending an inactive game rather than being forced to wait for it to time out. It has very good graphics and is nice to use though.

For 99 cents, there is Word Wise, another clone with jumbled bonus tiles, but a product with more finesse. It however does not look as good as Word Feud, though there is very little difference between them in terms of play.

Both apps support simultaneous multiple games, Word Feud 30 I think, and Word Wise 100, so you should be able to find something to do even whilst some games are inactive.

I'd recommend both as excellent. I prefer the layout of Word Feud, but until the game is a little more polished, am finding Word Wise the better proposition. I also prefer the former's chat system, whereas the latter only allows emails to an opponent.

Anyway, check them out.
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 09 May 2011, 11:59

Update:-

Mabilo seems to have disappeared. so now using Zedge for ringtones.

Medscape app has become my main medical reference app now. Very good and dl data to work offline/fast.

For the kiteflyers there is windalert. Nice little app that shows you wind readings from weather stations of your choosing, projected and observed.

GOsms is quicker and lighter than Chompsms with similar stuff.

Calendar - Calendar pad is still the best full view app I have found with god widgets too. I also use CalWidget to list my patient appointments only as I can choose which calendars with that, separate from Calendar pad.

TV-Guide - nice little tv listings app.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 09 May 2011, 13:24

if you have sky, get the sky app! can remote record direct from the app, and search through listings. V good!
LUHG
Born 28/11/2018
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 May 2011, 13:58

You don't need Sky to use that app for browsing/searching which I find it's still very good for even without the direct recording.
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 09 May 2011, 23:42

DI Radio - For some dance music I've just downloaded the di.fm app. Streams just like on their website www.di.fm. Works well over wifi, not tried network yet.

Also downloaded SKY.fm Radio and Jazz Radio apps for whatever my mood chooses.

Return to “Other Technology”