Windows Mobile/Phone discussion

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Windows Mobile 7

Postby Replicant » 04 Jun 2012, 12:15

I seem to remember you can quick scroll the alphabet on the extreme right of the screen. Been a while though so could be wrong
Y.N.W.A.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 05 Jun 2012, 09:51

Extreme right of the screen doesn't to anything for me but found out that tapping the the 'a' at the beginning of the list brings up a quick scroll alphabet.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 07 Jun 2012, 11:28

£20 of apps?!
Ummmm, well if you use twitter then I'd recommend either Birdsong or Rowi (but I think the trial versions are actually full versions). And flicking through my apps, I can't see anymore that I've paid for...
Lots of XBox Live games though. They can be expensive if you don't wait for the deal of the week, some are £5.99, but a general rule of thumb is, the more expensive, the worse it is.

For finding contacts, I tend to use the search function at the bottom of the page.

The Zune Pass is good, I've found it much better than Spotify.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 07 Jun 2012, 12:11

Still waiting for my Lumia 710, a week to deliver is just crap.

Just want to play now

Is there any adblocker available for windows phone?
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 07 Jun 2012, 23:55

I've got the extreme top right and bottom right to bring up the quick scroll albhabet a couple of times but not all the time - depends on when you're viewing a list it seems.

Been using Tweetcaster for Twitter as I used it on Android. Did try Rowi but couldn't find an option to see what was trending. Might give Birdsong a go.

Zune Pass has always looked interesting (got a 120GB Zune mp3 player a couple of years ago) but seeing as I can get Spotify Premium for £5 a month I think I'll stick with that as Zune's more expensive.

Thinking that I'll try a few games out once I get my app voucher. Or a pay for a few apps that I use to get rid of the ads.

Any good note taking apps? Tried a few but they all seem to have different functionality/UI and none with all that I want together!
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 08 Jun 2012, 08:52

robbo wrote:I've got the extreme top right and bottom right to bring up the quick scroll albhabet a couple of times but not all the time - depends on when you're viewing a list it seems.

Do you mean the quick jump alphabet? I think the only way to bring it up is to press the letter. Clicking on the top right only seems to work when the letter is in the top left (so in effect you're pressing the letter). The app list, once it's big enough, will have that quick jump option too. But I do spend half my time trying to remember the name of the app I'm looking for, yesterday I was trying to find the ringtone app which had me jumping about like: "Ringtone... Tones... Musictones... Callmusictones..." In the end I just had to scroll through to find EasyRing&Music! That's an alright app if you want some custom ringtones. Actually finding a quality track is sometimes a bit tricky, but it's just a few clicks to get it saved to your ringtones.

On Rowi the trending is under the search button. I don't actually use trending much... which is probably the point of Twitter. I'll try to start using it more! Will give Tweetcaster a go, still haven't found a client I am really happy with.

I was tricked into getting the Zune Pass. I had a free trial of it for a few months, and by that time, you've got all this music on your devices, and to suddenly not be able to listen to it is like losing an arm! So I had to start paying...

Only note taking app I've used is OneNote.
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 08 Jun 2012, 23:23

Suppose I should start using OneNote more as it'll do everything I want to do - just keep forgetting about it. Had started using Notepad free and Notes (which can set a location to notes which could be helpful on holiday I guess).

I had downloaded Rowi Lite which is maybe why I couldn't find the trending search. I just look at it every now and then and post a random tweet related to something that's trending! Might give the full app a try and see if I prefer it to Tweetcaster as like you, trying to find one that just feels right. And will look into that rigntone app - I've still got mine on the classic Nokia ringtone as I haven't got round to changing it yet! Did download a couple of Mario soundboards though :D

And yep, the quick jump alphabet is what I was going on about. I'm sure when I was downloading an app and it takes you to the app list I could tap the top right or the top left of the screen to bring up the quick jump alphabet but I've not been able to since! Maybe I was dreaming it... But yep, only seems to work when a letter in in line with where you're pressing.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 16 Jun 2012, 16:25

Went to apply for my free apps but it says my IMEI number is not recognised! Hmmm...
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 19 Jun 2012, 22:27

IMEI number was still not being recognised so rang up the number on the page and spoke to a lady who took my details (sounds like the friendly lady that other people are mentioning in posts - is there only one woman on Nokia support!?) and she said I'll be contacted within the next few days. That was earlier today but as the webpage was still open I tried again and this time my IMEI was accepted so maybe they had already looked into it for me.

Anyway, looks like I'll be getting something in the post/text/email. Was left a little vague...
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 20 Jun 2012, 19:19

and now for something slightly different......Windows Mobile 8

Support for multi-core chips, allowing devices to turn on cores to access extra processing power when needed, and to switch off cores when not to preserve battery life.

The ability to work with different screen resolutions including the high definition 720p format.

Support for removable Micro SD cards allowing users to store more media files or install apps saved on the format.

A new "wallet" app allowing the phone to act as both credit and membership cards as well as supporting NFC (Near field communication) payments.

Built-in maps from Nokia's Navteq division with turn-by-turn navigation.

A more customisable start screen allowing users the choice of three tile sizes to represent their installed software with more colour options.

A warning alert if the software believes a website contains malware or is otherwise unsafe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18527509
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Jun 2012, 19:47

And no support for existing Windows 7 hardware who instead will get an update to 7.8 which contains some of the new features in 8. It seems a bit of a blow to exclude hardware already although I don't know if the new SoCs are instruction set compatible with the existing processors.

A move back to micro SD is surprising but very welcome.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 25 Jun 2012, 08:53

Replicant wrote:and now for something slightly different......Windows Mobile 8

Shhhh, you said the "mobile" word! Microsoft are desperately trying to kill off that Mobile name! Mind you, it does irk me when I get the Stuff email through listing releases for Windows 7 Mobile apps, which is supposed to be from a technology magazine and should at least get the name right!

Not too bothered about the shift to Windows NT from CE. Although they haven't stated what Windows Phone 8 features will be in Windows Phone 7.8 yet (or indeed released all the features for WP8) it looks as if it's going to be mostly hardware and API items that get excluded and the look and feel of WP8 will be there. App compatibility was a big point in the Summit, and apparently it should be quite simple to have them working on both kernel versions, as long as devs aren't using any of these new features like NFC in these apps (which makes sense).
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 10 Jul 2012, 16:31

Woohoo! My Nokia Mastercard Prepaid Card has arrived! Now to decide what apps to buy...
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 22 Jul 2012, 07:41

Replicant wrote:and now for something slightly different......Windows Mobile 8

Finally. Not backwards compatible though, so get ready to bin your WM7.5 devices :)

It's frustrating that it's only now that they are adding support for things I consider essential. Hi res screen being the first and foremost, SD card support second.

I'm still on the fence about this though, I'm struggling to buy into Microsoft's strategy so far. We get WM8 around Oct/Nov, which is sort of when the iphone 5 is due, and god knows what android will be doing in the mean time, not standing still that's for sure, so MS are still going to be at least one generation, technically at least, behind. I'd really like them to crack it because it would make my life easier from development point of view.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Jul 2012, 10:36

SD card support has existed since WP7 launched however microSD expansion seems to be out of fashion at the moment so Windows Phones and Android devices have been dropping support for it.

I don't think being a generation behind bothers a lot of people as Apple have proved with the Iphone, I think the bigger problem they face is branding.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire

Return to “Other Technology”