Windows Mobile/Phone discussion

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 23 Nov 2015, 14:38

robbo wrote:Coming from the windowscentral people I read this as quite an unbiased review of the Lumia 950

Yeah, that was a good review. Convinced me on getting one (or the XL) - not that I was on the fence really. I was just worried about Windows 10 Mobile and whether it was back to a Windows Mobile or early Android experience, but it sounds as if it's good.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 26 Nov 2015, 12:16

No launch event ticket for me.

Possibility of custom roms for windows phone in the future. Could be interesting http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-p ... lumia-roms
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 02 Dec 2015, 00:47

If you liked Windows phone 7.x and 8.0 then you might like and agree with a lot of what this guy says: http://www.windowscentral.com/ode-windows-phone-8
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Dec 2015, 02:05

I thought the integration was very impressive, that article sums it up well when it says it looked at the data from a people point of view rather than an app point of view and so simple to set up as well with just giving it a few accounts and away it went. It's a shame that in general it seems there's fewer apps these days that allow you to merge data from different systems (I used to like Tweetdeck) and browse it all in the one place rather than several.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 02 Dec 2015, 13:51

That is a good article - and does sum up quite nicely what made Windows Phone different, and why people, like me, despite coming from a very customisable mobile OS, found it great.

I think a lot of it comes down to Joe Belifore's vision and how he would consider the real-life use of anything before it was put into the OS, instead of flinging stuff in, just to say it's in there.

I am... concerned about how Windows 10 Mobile will end up, because if it's bad, there's nothing to replace it for me. Apple lacks too much in the hardware department, and Android causes me constant frustration. Mind you, I used Windows Mobile 5 for years, and that was a lesson in patience.
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 03 Dec 2015, 14:46

Just picked up my Nano SIM in anticipation of the 950 XL.

However, I looked at a 5.7" phone. And it's massive. Slightly concerned that the 950 XL is gonna be too big for me and I should go for the baby one. Or I could just keep this 920 going for another few years... :D
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 03 Dec 2015, 18:21

I found this thing pretty good, just need to calibrate it against a credit card/drivers license and then you can see how big stuff is

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 14 Dec 2015, 13:12

Needn't have been worried. The 950XL looks completely normal in the flesh and not a comedy DomJolly giant phone.

Surprisingly got my handset on Saturday (10 days before Amazon said it would arrive).

I like it, it overcame the instant disdain I had for the 930 by being able to use it without my hands melting off, and the screen not being too much of a downgrade from the 920 (it's still not as good, doesn't scroll as smoothly).

I can't find/enable super sensitive touch on the screen though, specs say it should be here (perhaps it's not as senstive). Currently it's a pain in the ass without it - especially since they use this Windows Hello unlock, so I can unlock my phone whilst wearing gloves, but then I need to talk at it to make it do stuff. And that's just embarrassing.

Otherwise, no further complaints about the hardware. Camera is astoundingly good, as expected.

Windows 10 Mobile is good, very samey, but good. Actually got updates for it and lots of the core apps out of the box, which is odd. I've forgotten what Phone OS updates feel like...

Oh, all the HERE stuff has gone. I really liked their maps and navigation. Will have to use the MS in-house stuff now... they say it's improved, but we'll see.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 14 Dec 2015, 17:11

Tappy wrote:Source of the post Oh, all the HERE stuff has gone. I really liked their maps and navigation. Will have to use the MS in-house stuff now... they say it's improved, but we'll see.

Can't you download the Here maps on W10m? I've a problem on wp8.1 where I use the Here maps and Here Drive but when I search for a place and then pin it, they are in MS maps so have to then find them again on Here maps and make another pin drop.

And I had to turn sensitive touch off on my 925. Kept wanting to dial numbers when in my pocket or bag or creating weird words as I typed and moved my fingers around the screen - was super sensitive!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Dec 2015, 18:15

When I first took the original Galaxy Note out of the box which was a similar size to the 950XL and when I wasn't able to try one out first I did have a sinking feeling that I'd made a mistake due to the size of the phone. However I very quickly got used to it and although it was bigger it still fitted within the same pockets and similar so there was no actual change to the way I used it. The mosntrous 6.44in Sony Z Ultra was a slightly different story though.

I take it the Here stuff has gone because that's stayed with the part of Nokia Microsoft didn't buy?
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 14 Dec 2015, 18:37

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post I take it the Here stuff has gone because that's stayed with the part of Nokia Microsoft didn't buy?

Here was sold off and bought my some car manufacturers. I forget which ones but they said at the time they would keep updating the apps.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 15 Dec 2015, 10:58

Weirdly the Samsung S6 Edge S + plus thingy looked massive in the store, whereas I thought I had ordered the wrong phone when I opened up the box for this. Probably just a context thing.

Yeah, no HERE stuff in the store. It tried to auto-install all the apps with my 920 backup, but all the store entries said "not available" or something like that. Bit silly of them, because of my good experience on WP, it was the first thing I downloaded when I got the Shield Tablet and got my dad to use it on his iPhone. Now I (and presumably other WP users) have no reason to promote it and it will have to compete with Google Maps without that word-of-mouth... good luck!

And Super Senstive Touch can't unlock your phone... :?
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 15 Dec 2015, 16:32

Tappy wrote:Source of the post And Super Senstive Touch can't unlock your phone...

But it can dial numbers for an emergency call!

This article says the Here people have recommended W10 users use Windows Maps in the interim before a bug is fixed. http://wmpoweruser.com/latest-maps-upda ... -10-users/ So it seems it was in the store and might also be back soon. And Windows Maps uses Here data but the interface is different and also the data in my experience...
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 16 Dec 2015, 10:43

I was fiddling about with Windows Maps yesterday and they have overhauled it quite significantly for the better. Their driving app now works like a sat nav and they've just added traffic cameras. Still doesn't show transport lines like desktop Bing and HERE did.

Yeah, I'd read about that HERE statement. A bug that takes a month to fix?! Sounds like a load of bullshiv to me.
Last edited by Tappy on 16 Dec 2015, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 16 Dec 2015, 14:11

Forgot to mention that I got my free Display Dock yesterday. Don't know what I'm going to do with it...!

Return to “Other Technology”