Get rid of Run U3 Launchpad

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
robbo
100th member
100th member

Get rid of Run U3 Launchpad

Postby robbo » 09 Feb 2010, 00:06

Ever since I borrowed my mate's usb flash drive when I try to use mine it wants to try and open U3 Launchpad - but i don't have it on my usb drive.

I think my mate's flash drive had U3 on it but none of mine do and everytime I connect and try and open my drive an error saying Application not found pops up. Anyway of telling w7 that I don't have U3 and can just view what's on my usb drive as normal? I didn't install it or even open it from my mate's usb drive.

I can use my drive by right clicking it in My Computer and selecting Open but it's a bit of a pain. No drive pop up appears on insertion either. (No innuendo intended there).
FatIan
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Re: Get rid of Run U3 Launchpad

Postby FatIan » 09 Feb 2010, 01:00

It sounds like you have an autoplay default set, try right clicking the drive in "my computer" select "open autoplay", then select "view more autoplay options" then "Reset all defaults". That might cure it, not got one with u3 to try though.
Rock X770, T9300, 8800m, 500GB 7200rpm, TV tuner, WUXGA, Silver Trim, external LG blu-ray writer

Home built rig- Obsidian 800D, i7 980x OC@4.21Ghz, Zotac 480GTXs in sli, 128GB SSD 6gbs, 1TB WD Black 6gbs, Blu-ray rw, 3D Vision Kit and Monitor THX SS
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 Feb 2010, 01:06

Does it tell you what the exe name is? I had the same problem on a machine a while back (U3 really is a crappy piece of software) but can't remember what I did, I think it was in the registry though.

John
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
sayed
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby sayed » 09 Feb 2010, 02:14

Some of the U3 apps aren't even free. On a side note, I've got portable apps on my USB and portable hdd.
MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2009¦2.26GHz¦4GB¦500GB¦9400M¦WSXGA+
DEAD - Pegasus 665¦T7200 2GHz¦2GB¦250GB 5400rpm¦8600M GT 512MB¦WSXGA+¦Realtek HD¦VX Nano - XP
Ext 2.8TB HDD, Ipod 80GB, BB Bold
FatIan
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby FatIan » 09 Feb 2010, 11:38

Found this-

2. How can I prevent the U3 Launchpad from running automatically?
To turn off the U3 Launchpad autorun click on Settings and then select U3 Launchpad Settings. In the U3 Launchpad Settings window click on the Autorun tab on the left and then click the Disable Autorun button.

If the U3 Launchpad version on your U3 smart drive does not support this feature you can upgrade to the latest version of the U3 Launchpad. Click here to learn how to check for updates to the U3 Launchpad.

If you do not want to upgrade the U3 Launchpad or the flash drive manufacturer does not provide an upgrade for your drive yet, you can use one of the following methods to disable the U3 Launchpad from autoruning:

1) Hold down the shift key while inserting the smart drive. Keep holding the shift key until Windows plays the sound which indicates that a USB device has started. Now you can use the U3 smart drive as a normal USB mass storage device. To start the Launchpad after suppressing it, open MY Computer and double-click LaunchU3.exe from your U3 smart drive.

2) To permanently disable the U3 Launchpad from autorunning you must edit the registry of your PC. Please refer to this Microsoft Knowledge Base article for instructions: KBID 155217. Please note that this will disable other programs to autorun from a CD-ROM (e.g. Installation programs that automatically run when you insert a CD-ROM in your computer).

from here-

http://u3.com/support/default.aspx#CQ3
Rock X770, T9300, 8800m, 500GB 7200rpm, TV tuner, WUXGA, Silver Trim, external LG blu-ray writer

Home built rig- Obsidian 800D, i7 980x OC@4.21Ghz, Zotac 480GTXs in sli, 128GB SSD 6gbs, 1TB WD Black 6gbs, Blu-ray rw, 3D Vision Kit and Monitor THX SS
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 09 Feb 2010, 22:25

Ian - not got the option to open autoplay from right clicking on my computer. Has that disappeared? I thought it used to be there. All I get is Run U3 Launchpad, Open and open in New window, along with eject, formet, properties etc.
And I saw that from the U3 website also, but seeing as I don't have it installed I can't get to the settings bit. Annoying as I didn't even touch the U3 app on the flash drive. Can't remember if it tried to auto run when it was plugged in.

John - No, it doesn't say what exe it's looking for. Just the drive letter, F:\, then Application not found.

Will look into changing the registry but still want autorun to pop up for other removable media.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 09 Feb 2010, 22:58

Searched the registry for "U3" and a few values for it under the F drive came up so deleted those registry values relating to U3. Seems it was trying to launch "LaunchU3.exe".

The Run U3 Launchpad has now disappeared and I can open my drive normally again! And any others that when plugged in are drive F:\.

Autorun isn't working but sure I can sort that out at a later time.

Return to “Other Technology”