Rock Lappy dying - seeking desktop advice

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Aurian

Rock Lappy dying - seeking desktop advice

Postby Aurian » 16 Jan 2010, 22:27

Okay - it's just shy of 3 years since I bought my Rock laptop and after several RMAs and downtime in the past, the latest issues I've experienced (battery not charging/power cable falling out every few minutes, GPU overheating, and hinge broken) I'm ready to throw in the towel and switch to a desktop for gaming backed up by a netbook for travel. I really don't feel confident enough to 'build my own' so I guess I'm in the market for a custom build. I was looking at a Dell Studio XPS i7 920 system before they whipped them off the site at the end of the New Year; this would have been similar to the one I specced up for my fiancé last year but the choice on the site now is limited to the Studio XPS 8100 or Alienware and I'd really like an i7 920 processor or better (can't have the fella having a better system than me especially when his was bought last April!!! :P) The Alienware systems seem a tad overpriced (and I'm being kind there!!) and I've spotted quite a few custom build companies (Overclockers, Cryo, Kobalt) but don't know anything about them re: reliability, warranties etc. Do any of you have any experience of a good custom build company in the UK. Looking to spend no more than around £1500-£1600 as the wedding is in June this year, and pennies are at a premium. Was looking at invites today and can't believe how expensive a few bits of card can be - I'm in the wrong business! LOL

Basically I'm thinking of a system with an Intel i7 920 processor, around 9Gb RAM, Nvidia 260GTX or better, >640Gb HDD, a decent soundcard (I was never impressed with sound on the Rock) and speakers. A blu-ray drive would be nice, as would dvd rewriter (could be a combo drive). I'm guessing a blu-ray rewriter might be a tad out of the price range but would be useful as we do a bit of HD video and it would be nice to edit and back these up to blu-ray rather than record back to cassette. Need wireless and network capability and I'll be in the market for a 21.5in or 22in monitor as well.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Diane
mrtoddie
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Rock Lappy dying - seeking desktop advice

Postby mrtoddie » 17 Jan 2010, 00:07

Hi Diane,

I do believe a lot of the guys on here are familiar with Overclockers, I have used Novatech.co.uk for parts never for a new build though.

As for your laptop, I would very much try to get it in for one last service just for the ability to use it as money off towards your new system!
Yeah!
BinnsY

Postby BinnsY » 17 Jan 2010, 00:31

Hi,

As most people here will no doubt point out I'm the resident Overclockers fanboy :P But with good cause I feel! My overclockers system set me back £1300 a good years 2 and a bit ago now, but it's still going strong and I haven't had a need to update it. It's only ever failed on me once and I drove up to overclockers and it was diagnosed, repaired and back in my hands in less than 18 hours, outside of warranty, for free. (The ram had died). The pre-done overclock has never let me down and it has by far been the most capable machine I have ever owned.

Your budget is quite frankly massive, you will have no problem gettting a machine to meat your spec for that (save for the ram, but its easy enough to add a bit extra)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... -OE&tool=5 This one looks like an absolutely stonking system, its the same price point as I paid 2 years ago, and I think you would find 2 years in the future it would still be holding its own just as well if not better than mine has. It doesn't quite have everything you need, but it is £300 under budget. If you spend £80 of this on a good sound card (x-fi titantium gets my vote) you still have a good £220 left over. What to do with this is a bit of your choice, you could spend it on a blu-ray writer and have a bit left over, or if 6GB of ram really isn't going to be enough you could give them a ring and ask them to re-spec it to 12gb. You would have to pay the difference and accept that you probably wouldn't get the 4ghz overclock (adding more ram will make it harder to get stable, though the guy who does the overclocking is on there forums and he is a top bloke who really will try his hardest to get the best he can for you)

To be honest though, you don't even have to spend that much.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 44&subcat= This one specced up with a ATI 5850 and a 1TB hdd comes in at £500 under budget, giving you even more to play with. Probably enough to buy your monitor from that £1600 budget as well.

Hopefully this helps a bit, if you do go the overclockers route the only bit that might be complicated at all is the 12Gb of ram requirement but there pretty helpful if you give them a ring :)
| 3.2Ghz Quad|4GB Ram|GTX 470|2000GB|X-Fi Gamer |
| 2.2Ghz Dual|2GB Ram|8600m GT|160GB|Realtek HD |
Aurian

Postby Aurian » 17 Jan 2010, 00:56

Thanks guys! Knew I could count on you! Must admit that I was erring towards Overclockers (hence mentioned them first)

BinnsY - have looked at both those systems and was seriously impressed with the prices. As far as the GFX goes - at the moment would you lean more towards the ATI or Nvidia route? It's been a looooong time since I had an ATI card (read back in the early MMX days) so I'm a bit out of touch with them. I can see that there are only a few options on each system, but assume that they do have network cards, wireless as standard. I gather giving them a ring to add any extras is probably the best route to go (X-fi titanium was top of my list for sound btw). Any opinions on a decent monitor btw? I've had laptops for so long the last monitor I had was a CRT (and an old one at that.)

Have had a few glasses of vino since I posted, so won't order tonight, but will have a good look at the systems, give them a phone on Monday, and hopefully will have a new beastie soon. It'll be so good to have a stable system again. :)
BinnsY

Postby BinnsY » 17 Jan 2010, 01:11

ATI all the way at the minute, all the high end nvidia cards are end of life and theres next to no stock for silly money, unless your willing to wait for Fermi (the new DX11 nvidia's) its ATI ATI ATI at the minute. The only choice there really is is 5850 or 5870 and thats basically down to how much cash you have. Both are fantastic cards and you can actually overclock the 5850 to just about match the 5870 if thats your kind of scene.

But yea, if I remember rightly a 5850 will quite easily beat a GTX285 and a 5870 is even better so they really are the cards to be going for, though in fairness, if you are only going for a 22" monitor you probably won't need the extra oomph of the 5870 so could be worth saving a few pennies there (though obviously the 5870 will hold its own for longer).

Oh, the machines will have network cards built even (even mine has dual gigabit ethernet) but I highly doubt they will have wireless onboard, you will probably need a USB dongle or PCI add in card.

In regards to a monitor does it need to fit into your £1600 budget, and what kind of work will you be doing on it?

I have 2 24" dell panels, one is TN, the other PVA, one was around £250 and the other closer to £400, obviously the more expensive one is better, but there both fantastic screens and as such I have a bit of a soft spot for them. Without knowing what your after though its hard to recommend one. TN are the kind of staple, good all rounders, not particularly accurate colours but good response times. PVA gives more accurate colours but generally at the expense of some response time (though tbh I notice the colour difference but cant say response time has ever been an issue on mine) and IPS is even better with colours again.

If pure colour accuracy is your thing then this looks a good bet http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =MO-032-DE though you may want to check some reviews to make sure its still ok for gaming as some of the cheaper IPS screens can be prone to ghosting. If your just after a monitor for a bit of everything, no worries about colour accuracy (we're talking professional grade here) then you could probably afford to go to a 24".

Maybe something like this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 10&subcat=.

With monitors I would do your own search and not hold my opinion to high though, I've never used either of those screens so can't vouch for them, and I don't tend to keep up with screens to much unless I'm looking to buy one.

Hope this helps :)
Advocate

Postby Advocate » 17 Jan 2010, 01:14

I'd go with ATI at the moment - the 5970 (i think) is the best card out there...

I'd vote for overclockers too, only used them for parts but they have been good!
BinnsY

Postby BinnsY » 17 Jan 2010, 01:18

Advocate wrote:the 5970 (i think) is the best card out there...

For £540 I should hope so!

As a point though, you could buy 2 5850s for that which would decimate a single 5970. Heck, you could almost get two 5870s! I really would avoid the 5890.

One other option i forgot is crossfire 5770s, two of them will match a 5870 in some circumstances (some a little slower, some a little better) and you save quite a bit of cash.
Aurian

Postby Aurian » 17 Jan 2010, 01:37

Thanks for the quick response!!

Just had a discussion with the OH - we have a weird setup in our living room with a 42inch tv, OH with his desktop and 22 inch Dell monitor, so I was just being a good girl and not planning on outmatching him in the monitor stakes lest he feel bad. He knows what I'm like with my tech so he's not fussed at all .The budget didn't include the monitor so to be honest I'd far rather have a 24inch monitor. Accurate colours is important to me, as I do a lot of graphics work. The monitor is going to be used for a mixture of gaming, graphics work, video editing, and general internet/productivity use. Definitely want to minimise ghosting so if that helps with suggestions...

Really appreciate your opinion Binnsy - the help is much appreciated as I've been out of the desktop market for a long time now! :)
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 17 Jan 2010, 01:39

When my xps died and dell gave me a full refund i got an i7 920 system and a small laptop with GT 130m in it for portable midrange gaming. Much better system!

Went with overclockers! Overclocker the i7 to 4ghz, rest is in my sig. 4890 hasnt sweated on anything i've given.

Tho annoyingly the system has crashed a lot tonight..
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
henrybutt
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby henrybutt » 17 Jan 2010, 05:33

I would also recommend OCUK... they produce some cracking systems at decent prices and are also a reliable company.
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz | Asus P6T Mobo | 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator RAM | 1TB Samsung HDD (7200rpm) | Zotac GTX 275 | Aerocool Touch V12 Fan controller | Corsair H50 Cooler | Lian Li PC60FW Case | Sony Blu-Ray Reader
Macbook Pro 13
BinnsY

Postby BinnsY » 17 Jan 2010, 12:30

In that case this monitor might be the perfect one for you.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =MO-036-DE Its dells new top end IPS panel seems to be getting rave reviews everywhere.

About the only worry at all would be response time, but as I use a 2407-HC for gaming, and the images below show the 2408 (which is supposed to be better) vs the U2410 I don't think you will have any worries at all.

and to put into perspective the very best 120hz 3ms monitors.

(taken from here http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm)

So yea, its not the best for response time, but its colour and general overall design should make it the better screen.
csteff
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby csteff » 17 Jan 2010, 17:33

I just built a £400 i3 desktop with parts from scan and ebuyer, overall better prices than OcUK so if you are going to build it from parts after you decided on the specs check for the best prices around
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 17 Jan 2010, 23:14

also bought a entry level rig from OC for the parents and has worked well for the last 4-6 months.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Jan 2010, 18:26

BinnsY wrote:
About the only worry at all would be response time, but as I use a 2407-HC for gaming, and the images below show the 2408 (which is supposed to be better) vs the U2410 I don't think you will have any worries at all.

I really like the look of the U2711 although I think that may change when I see the price :S

John
BinnsY

Postby BinnsY » 24 Jan 2010, 12:01

Don't, it's taking all my might to resist getting the u2410, I just can't justify a 3rd screen, but if I did I could do triple 24" eyefinity!

Must.... not......

Return to “Other Technology”