Google Android

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
User avatar
Fodder
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap
Posts: 1348
Joined: 13 October 2008

Google Android

Postby Fodder » 06 Nov 2015, 20:37

"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
User avatar
robbo
100th member
100th member
Posts: 5588
Joined: 23 May 2008

Google Android

Postby robbo » 07 Nov 2015, 00:15



Haha, I remember seeing that years ago on TV. Maybe an early gadget show programme or similar. Looked it up a few years ago but had totally forgotten about it!
User avatar
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter
Posts: 7963
Joined: 07 May 2008
Location: Inverness
Contact:

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Nov 2015, 01:55

Timely allows you to set a challenge to deactivate the alarm so will try that and see how it goes.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
User avatar
robbo
100th member
100th member
Posts: 5588
Joined: 23 May 2008

Google Android

Postby robbo » 02 Dec 2015, 00:14

Am considering an Android phone - or tab - for the future at the moment (if that makes sense). As much as I love WP, am getting frustrated at the lack of apps and their features when there are apps to use.

So, from the iPhone thread...

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post I've no interest in the S6 either, seems a pretty half-assed device which I'm hoping will prompt another u-turn from Samsung given how crap the Note 5 also is but the future doesn't look for Samsung.


Is that just your thoughts with regards the added Samsung software/customisation or the hardware as well? Interested is all.
User avatar
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter
Posts: 7963
Joined: 07 May 2008
Location: Inverness
Contact:

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Dec 2015, 01:28

Both, the software is an annoyance but easily fixed but the hardware can't - a lot is made of how great it feels to use but I don't find that, it feels flimsy to me and you lose so much for that fancy design.
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
User avatar
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!
Posts: 8253
Joined: 08 May 2008
Location: London (formerly Manchester, la la la!)

Google Android

Postby EviL Ras » 02 Dec 2015, 10:00

The galaxy tab s2 tablet is sublime! I love it! fast, efficient and light! £8 was £220 in the cyber monday deals. So think that price for xmas.

I really cant fault the S6 edge other than the battery life if you're social! In hong kong with roaming disabled, it lasted ages. But here with all my screen peeks, social media and email, i just about get a day. but then i charge it at my desk to negate that! But the processing, camera, screen, all superb. and i really love android!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Image
User avatar
Fodder
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap
Posts: 1348
Joined: 13 October 2008

Google Android

Postby Fodder » 02 Dec 2015, 13:24

The nexus 5 is the best I have used so far, but I am not a big social app person.
If you can find one they should be pretty cheap by now.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap
Posts: 2862
Joined: 08 May 2008
Location: Planet Earth

Google Android

Postby Replicant » 03 Dec 2015, 22:56

robbo wrote:Source of the post Am considering an Android phone - or tab - for the future at the moment (if that makes sense). As much as I love WP, am getting frustrated at the lack of apps and their features when there are apps to use.

So, from the iPhone thread...

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post I've no interest in the S6 either, seems a pretty half-assed device which I'm hoping will prompt another u-turn from Samsung given how crap the Note 5 also is but the future doesn't look for Samsung.


Is that just your thoughts with regards the added Samsung software/customisation or the hardware as well? Interested is all.


My UI preference is Windowsphone but I have had the same frustrations as you. I briefly flirted with an S6 Edge (4 months) but just do not like Samsung and their constant need to piss about and provide alternatives to the things Google provide within Android. I have now moved to an iphone 6s and much prefer it. Much nicer design.

The S6 fingerprint reader is rubbish compared to the Apple one. It got so frustrating that I turned it off in the end (as did one of my colleagues).
Will I use Android again? Possibly. Will it be a Samsung device? probably not.
Y.N.W.A.
Image
User avatar
robbo
100th member
100th member
Posts: 5588
Joined: 23 May 2008

Google Android

Postby robbo » 04 Dec 2015, 00:05

Replicant wrote:Source of the post
robbo wrote:Source of the post Am considering an Android phone - or tab - for the future at the moment (if that makes sense). As much as I love WP, am getting frustrated at the lack of apps and their features when there are apps to use.

So, from the iPhone thread...

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post I've no interest in the S6 either, seems a pretty half-assed device which I'm hoping will prompt another u-turn from Samsung given how crap the Note 5 also is but the future doesn't look for Samsung.


Is that just your thoughts with regards the added Samsung software/customisation or the hardware as well? Interested is all.


My UI preference is Windowsphone but I have had the same frustrations as you. I briefly flirted with an S6 Edge (4 months) but just do not like Samsung and their constant need to piss about and provide alternatives to the things Google provide within Android. I have now moved to an iphone 6s and much prefer it. Much nicer design.

The S6 fingerprint reader is rubbish compared to the Apple one. It got so frustrating that I turned it off in the end (as did one of my colleagues).
Will I use Android again? Possibly. Will it be a Samsung device? probably not.


I nearly pulled the trigger on a Moto G (3rd Gen) but for some reason the lack of NFC (although I've never used it in the past) and the lack of a built in compass (for the drunken walking moments when using maps and a lack of compass means maps don't work as well when walking) put me off. (There are most probably other phones these days of similar price and better spec.) Motorola will have minimal add-ons to stock Android and the MS Arrow launcher looks good to me.
User avatar
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter
Posts: 7963
Joined: 07 May 2008
Location: Inverness
Contact:

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Dec 2015, 02:28

I'm surprised the Moto doesn't have NFC given Google have been quite keen on it, I'm a big fan of it although I seem to be in the minority there.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
User avatar
robbo
100th member
100th member
Posts: 5588
Joined: 23 May 2008

Google Android

Postby robbo » 04 Dec 2015, 11:43

What do you use NFC for? I've no headphones/speakers to pair nor any payment system to currently use with it.
User avatar
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap
Posts: 2862
Joined: 08 May 2008
Location: Planet Earth

Google Android

Postby Replicant » 04 Dec 2015, 13:07

robbo wrote:Source of the post What do you use NFC for? I've no headphones/speakers to pair nor any payment system to currently use with it.


I have had it for years on various Lumias, S6 and Z1 and I used it for virtually bugger all. It's a feature waiting for a useful purpose.
Y.N.W.A.
Image
User avatar
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter
Posts: 7963
Joined: 07 May 2008
Location: Inverness
Contact:

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Dec 2015, 14:29

robbo wrote:Source of the post What do you use NFC for? I've no headphones/speakers to pair nor any payment system to currently use with it.


Mainly my camera, if I want to transfer photos from it I just tap the phone against the camera and that's it - I can either send the current image on screen or all images taken that date. It's such a clumsy system on the non-NFC cameras (activate wifi on the camera, change the wifi on the phone to the camera, open up the app on the phone, tell the camera to send, take the camera out of wifi mode, change the phone back to normal wifi) I just never used it. My BT headset occasionally needs paired again and it's simply just a case of tapping it against the back of the phone and done. A friend has a new Sony AV system, to use my phone with it all I needed to was tap the phone on the receiver and it was good to go. When I wanted to send large video files to his phone I just put the phones back to back which kicked off a wifi direct connection and it was done far faster than BT.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
User avatar
robbo
100th member
100th member
Posts: 5588
Joined: 23 May 2008

Google Android

Postby robbo » 04 Dec 2015, 23:13

Sounds good that file transfer and music stuff. I'll have to look out for that in my future purchases.
User avatar
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter
Posts: 7963
Joined: 07 May 2008
Location: Inverness
Contact:

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Dec 2015, 03:13

Sony have supported NFC extensively so they have (or had?) it on their PCs's, their AV kit, their cameras, their BT audio stuff etc. which makes NFC a lot more useful although obviously NFC support isn't that widespread in general.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.

Return to “Other Technology”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests