Google Android

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Oct 2015, 01:04

Anyway, I just realised the new Chromecast and Chromecast audio look the same - I had assumed the video version was the same as the original one, the new design looks better. I'd be interested in a tear down, the audio one seems a little pricey but then I wonder if they're much the same with just different outputs?

I also see the Nvidia Shield TV box is up for sale at a fairly hefty £150, I know the internals are fairly beefy but I'm not quite seeing the point.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Google Android

Postby jurassicjim » 03 Oct 2015, 18:56

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post the audio one seems a little pricey

It couldn't be much cheaper could it?!

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Google Android

Postby robbo » 05 Oct 2015, 10:48

Just reformatted my sd card in my phone and it seems to be fine now - didn't have anything of importance on it. Maybe my usb adaptor is faulty as it wasn't even showing up on my laptop. Just re-downloading the few apps that I can. But Google Play services needs updating first!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Oct 2015, 12:24

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post

j

Well yes, bearing in mind it must need much less hardware than the video version or something like the Raspberry Pi 2 which is also a similar price I can't see how it could be £30. Unless it's the same hardware as a video Chromecast and just a different output with a lot of redundant internal parts.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
jurassicjim

Google Android

Postby jurassicjim » 05 Oct 2015, 13:13

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post
jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post

j

Well yes, bearing in mind it must need much less hardware than the video version or something like the Raspberry Pi 2 which is also a similar price I can't see how it could be £30. Unless it's the same hardware as a video Chromecast and just a different output with a lot of redundant internal parts.

John

They have to make a profit and obviously they'll be some software app stuff etc. I think they do have other hardware considerations for audio, such as the DAC, of which you can pay hundreds for if you're into that kind of thing.

Getting anything decent for £30 is pretty good in my books!

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Oct 2015, 14:15

I seriously doubt there's anything special about the DAC given plenty of people are fine with using their phones as mp3 players and it's going to be streaming compressed music anyway, it potentially could use much cheaper and more basic hardware than the video version and the software can be much more basic as well as there's going to be no video output. On the other hand, using the same hardware/software as the video Chromecast even though most of it isn't needed would keep it quick and simple to produce.

John
jurassicjim

Google Android

Postby jurassicjim » 05 Oct 2015, 17:28

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post I seriously doubt there's anything special about the DAC

Me too, but I wouldn't really expect them to sell it for £5 if that's what the whole thing costs, still a lot of other stuff that will go into the product apart from pure hardware costs.

I think it's a pretty good deal considering what similar (albeit probably much better sounding) systems cost.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Oct 2015, 18:26

I guess it's partially because the Chromecast video is so cheap in comparison to other devices (and also generally much better as well) the audio one seems oddly expensive.

John
Fodder

Google Android

Postby Fodder » 06 Oct 2015, 11:31

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post...it's going to be streaming compressed music anyway,....

John

I thought the whole point of a chromecast was to negate the casting device. E.G the casting device sends the address to the chromecast and it then streams the digital data from source. In this case it would have to decode the MP3 etc. to an audio/video etc. signal.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Oct 2015, 11:54

Fodder wrote:Source of the post
Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post...it's going to be streaming compressed music anyway,....

John

I thought the whole point of a chromecast was to negate the casting device. E.G the casting device sends the address to the chromecast and it then streams the digital data from source. In this case it would have to decode the MP3 etc. to an audio/video etc. signal.

It is but it's still going to be a compressed stream since it's designed for Spotify and similar.

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

Google Android

Postby robbo » 23 Oct 2015, 23:00

There anything special about Microsoft's Arrow Launcher? Heard a little about it a while back but not much since. It for showcasing their products on Android? The talk of Priv on the WP thread got me thinking of it again is all.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Nov 2015, 23:26

I haven't used it, Microsoft seem to make some nice Android products but they often don't offer them in Europe or at least that's been the case when I've been looking at MS apps that have interested me such as their custom lock screen.

Anyone have any recommendations for an alarm clock for Android? My main requirements are that it can have a widget where it can be enabled/disabled and difficult to disable once the snooze timers had expired. I'm sure the Samsung one previously needed a direct swipe on the screen to cancel the alarm but at the moment fumbling for the home button cancels the snooze then also cancels the alarm.

John
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Google Android

Postby steffcip » 05 Nov 2015, 19:41

Bb10 is great for alarm
Lock button (top bezel) is for snooze and for me is fab as i "hit" it 5+ times every morning
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Nov 2015, 21:09

That's a problem for me, I don't want an easy way to snooze it - the Note 4 allows you to hit the home button snooze it which is too easy so I do it when still asleep and end up missing the alarm.

John
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Google Android

Postby steffcip » 06 Nov 2015, 20:33

it happened to me couple of times but still prefer the power button

Return to “Other Technology”