Google Android

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 Sep 2015, 00:05

Android on a Passport, probably as a test for the new Android powered BB Venice but I think it looks pretty good on the Passport - hit mute and skip to five minutes in:

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Google Android

Postby steffcip » 09 Sep 2015, 18:28

Wow great, i didn't know
I knew about venice
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Google Android

Postby steffcip » 09 Sep 2015, 18:42

I actually knew about the leaked photos of lollipop on passport, i thought it can be installed now
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 Sep 2015, 20:34

No, not at the moment although perhaps they will when Venice comes out as it would make sense to support one platform rather than two. I'm impressed with what I've seen of the Venice so far as it looks the sort of handset Android is really missing, very much the sort of device HTC used to make before they abandoned the business market.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Google Android

Postby robbo » 14 Sep 2015, 23:56

I'm being tempted back to the Android side with the Z5 compact. Even at £429 pre-order it's quite a bit cheaper over 24 months with my current sim only contract than a new 'deal' - even when I add in the £5-a-month all-you-can-eat data bundle. http://eshop.sonymobile.com/gb/buy/gb-x ... 5-compact/
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Google Android

Postby jurassicjim » 02 Oct 2015, 09:13

Any love for the new Nexus phones?

I've preordered the 6p in Frost White, 128GB - going to finally sell my trusty IPod classic after many years!

Seems to have everything in it I want from a phone right now, they haven't really skimped on anything, which is nice.

j
Tappy

Google Android

Postby Tappy » 02 Oct 2015, 10:10

Windows Central did a comparison to the rumoured 950 specs. Liking the storage choices on the 6p. The standard 32GB for the 950 is a bit 2012 now. Like the look of the 6p too - the funny camera lump works.

http://www.windowscentral.com/nexus-5x- ... mia-950-xl
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Oct 2015, 10:37

I'd prefer 32GB with expansion than 128GB without, it's also disappointing that like the original Nexus 6 the new one doesn't seem to scale the interface at all for the larger screen.

John
jurassicjim

Google Android

Postby jurassicjim » 02 Oct 2015, 13:13

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post I'd prefer 32GB with expansion than 128GB withoutJohn

Never going to happen in a Nexus phone by the looks of it!

I'm just glad to have any option for 128gb in a Nexus, like I say, I can sell the IPod on to make up the extra cost.

Hopefully the 4-5 week delivery estimate is pessimistic.

j
Tappy

Google Android

Postby Tappy » 02 Oct 2015, 13:23

Never been a fan of expansion slots. I think it comes down to my past experience of core stuff insisting on living in the main storage, so the SD slot is useless if you've used that up with something (let's say text messages for argument's sake). These views are from circa 2005, so outdated and probably untrue. But I think it's too deep routed in my subconscious now for it not to be an influencer.

Iirc WP7 used to combine the SD card with the main storage. The issue being that you couldn't just swap them out as you pleased!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Google Android

Postby EviL Ras » 02 Oct 2015, 13:29

This is why samsung moved to built in storage on the S6. As they blamed alot of the complaints on the S5 around it. Sure, it also means they get the revenue for the additional storage, but the S6 does seem (so far) to work smoother than the S5 did!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim

Google Android

Postby jurassicjim » 02 Oct 2015, 13:55

I prefer internal storage where possible for reasons listed above, no conflict or any other issues. Just a question of stumping up for the costs, which my IPod sale negates in this case.

j
jurassicjim

Google Android

Postby jurassicjim » 02 Oct 2015, 13:56

Also, I was hoping for an Android Pay UK announcement too, but that didn't happen :(

j
scarbunny

Google Android

Postby scarbunny » 02 Oct 2015, 14:03

Doesn't Android M have new SD Card management stuff in so it treats SD cards as native storage, which should allay most of them issues?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Google Android

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Oct 2015, 20:31

Tappy wrote:Source of the post Never been a fan of expansion slots. I think it comes down to my past experience of core stuff insisting on living in the main storage, so the SD slot is useless if you've used that up with something (let's say text messages for argument's sake). These views are from circa 2005, so outdated and probably untrue. But I think it's too deep routed in my subconscious now for it not to be an influencer.

Iirc WP7 used to combine the SD card with the main storage. The issue being that you couldn't just swap them out as you pleased!

Some of the original micro SD expansion usage on Android was a mess as it was used in place of the main storage, that meant phones would have a tiny amount of onboard storage and rely on the sd card instead which caused a lot of problems as apps would try to use the onboard storage instead of the expansion. It's still a problem with budget handsets which are frequently underspecced with memory, 8GB is really too tight for Android these days as it means the phone can't rely on just that for standard use.

Frankly I don't believe Samsung were seeing lots of S5 issues with the sd card, I've supported large numbers of Android phones including S3's, S4's and S5's and aside from the occasional death of the sd card those that used memory cards caused no more problems than those without. I've used memory cards on my Galaxy Note 1, the Z Ultra and now the Note 4 and none of them have had problems with the sd cards - they all had sufficient internal memory which meant they didn't have to rely on the sd card but they were able to seemlessly mix the content so when you browsed media from an application, it didn't matter where it was stored as you'd be shown a single view. Given no micro SD card expansion is far better for Samsung as it means consumers have to pay a significant penalty to get the memory direct now and can't upgrade it in their lifetime, that's a vastly more plausible reason particularly when Samsung also binned the replaceable battery which clearly wasn't to do with issues on previous devices an again good for them, not the consumer.

It's not even simply a question of cost, the Nexus 6P only offers 128GB which is the most it will ever have which means even at release it will only offer half what you can get through sd expansion (the upgrade from a 32GB Nexus 6P to a 128GB would pay for the 200GB even though it's at a premium price) and that gap will open further during the lifetime of the device as micro SD storage keeps getting bigger. It's also convenient to be able to take the card out if I want to manage it through mass storage (which Android doesn't support even in dev mode as far as I'm aware), view the content on another device or to have the capacity if I need it for a camera.

There's also nothing stopping companies from shipping devices with high amounts of onboard memory and an expansion slot which is what used to happen, now it's frequently very little onboard storage and expansion or more onboard storage and no expansion. Since the design of a phone needs to allow a sim card already, it doesn't compromise the design to have a second slot for a micro sd card.

My frustration is mainly borne of the fact there's so few choices now if you want a replaceable battery and micro sd expansion despite finding that I need both of these more thanks to beautiful high resolution screens to watch content on and power hungry hardware. I thought the Note series would be safe even with the S6 changes as it made sense to separate the two moreso into fashion and function but even in the wake of poor S6 sales, Samsung decimated the Note 5. At least for now LG are holding out and they've been producing some decent devices.

John

Return to “Other Technology”